Thread: Oils aint oils (cooking that is)

Oils aint oils (cooking that is)

Tried shallow frying reef fish in batter a couple of weeks ago and it tasted great. We usually pan fry or on the barbie.

Gave it another go tonight and it was pretty average.

First time was with extra virgin olive oil. Today was vegitable oil.

I have also heard that peanut oil is good.

Back to the olive oil next time I think. What do others use?

By the way, I used thommo's batter which was just flour, a bit of bi-carb soda and water.

Cheech

Re: Oils aint oils (cooking that is)

Olive oil burns when you get it too hot.

Better to use a specific cooking oil. Canola, Peanut etc.

Also, have a shot at using a tempura batter for ya fish.

Any water added to make a batter should be ice cold. Then let the batter settle, before coating fish.

There are many ingredients for a successful batter.

s/r flour, plain. corn flour, custad powder for colouring, whisked egg white, beer and many more. Just gotta experiment to get what you like.

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I get lazy with the batter, use the pre maid stuff ya get at the shop.

Make sure the oil is hot enough to seal the batter before you fry, drop a peasized piece of batter in the oil , if it comes staight to the top and sizzles strongly it should be hot enough
    Give the oil sufficient time to reheat between batches.
    Cheers
    rando

You might like to do a bit of research on canola oil, personally it's banned from our household. Even to the extent of making our own spreadable butter by blending it with olive oil. Canola is nasty nasty stuff. Peanut oil if we're frying, olive oil and butter for everything else.
    Edit: Vegetable oil is also out, 99% of the time it's canola being generically branded. Anything with vegetable oil in is also off our list. Pain in the A when doing the shop, but better than ingesting canola.

Quote Originally Posted by JewseeTHAT
    You might like to do a bit of research on canola oil, personally it's banned from our household. Canola is nasty nasty stuff. Peanut oil if we're frying, olive oil and butter for everything else.
    Why is Canola oil that bad for you? The only reason I could think of would be the fact than many are from GM (Genetically Modified) seeds.

Nut oils like Peanut oil have a higher smoking point than Olive oil and are better for deep frying.

I usually use peanut oil for frying too for the reason Hoges pointed out. For quick pan frying, I use olive oil because I like the flavor.

One thing to keep in mind is allergies. There are many people who are allergic to peanuts. Even a little can mess them up quite severely. So make sure you ask the people you are serving about it first just to be safe.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by JewseeTHAT
    You might like to do a bit of research on canola oil, personally it's banned from our household. Even to the extent of making our own spreadable butter by blending it with olive oil. Canola is nasty nasty stuff. Peanut oil if we're frying, olive oil and butter for everything else.
    Edit: Vegetable oil is also out, 99% of the time it's canola being generically branded. Anything with vegetable oil in is also off our list. Pain in the A when doing the shop, but better than ingesting canola.

so many myths perpetuated on the net that it is not funny..have a read of this: http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle...nola+oil+myths

In the very few studies of the effects of canola oil on the human body it's been established without doubt that canola is responsible for fibrous lesions on the heart. Anecdotal evidence also suggests responsibility for further effects on the skin and respiratory system. Like all things that are in dispute there are wild claims being made I agree, however I suggest many claims are not being made without some foundation in fact. A relatively new product being actively defended without definitive clinical studies being carried out is nothing new, history shows plenty of products that were claimed by their manufacturers to be perfectly harmless and later found to be toxic. There is a huge industry behind canola, determined to protect their financial interests. There are still people to this day connected to the tobacco industry who dispute cigarettes involvement in cancers and assorted other disease. Being circumspect about what my family ingests is simple common sense. This is why I suggested people research the subject a little, rather than read the wildest claims made by either side and taking all they read as gospel.
    http://www.breathing.com/articles/canola-oil.htm

We use Vege oil for deep frying, olive oil for shallow frying. The vege oil is no good for the next fry up if allowed to burn. Might have to give the peanut oil a go, see if the higher smoking point makes much difference.

Don't use batter though, prefer bread crumbs mixed up with my secret herbs and spices mix.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead
    [quote author=JewseeTHAT link=1146478306/0#4 date=1146484499]You might like to do a bit of research on canola oil, personally it's banned from our household. Even to the extent of making our own spreadable butter by blending it with olive oil. Canola is nasty nasty stuff. Peanut oil if we're frying, olive oil and butter for everything else.

so many myths perpetuated on the net that it is not funny..have a read of this: http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle...nola+oil+myths[/quote]

Thanks for that link PinHead.
    After reading that and then the one supplied by JewseeTHAT I have no problem with Canola oil.
    Your link relies on fact and dispels the losely based claims in the other link. IMHO

Why the hell did this get moved to the camping section? Took me half an hour to find the thread as I am not interested in camping, it has nothing to do with camping, and is a general interest thread. No wonder people get p!ssed off.

Buncha bloody girls!!!!

What's wrong with good ol' beef dripping ?!?!?!?

'Course when I was a boy, we couldn't afford to buy our dripping.... I used to have the follow the cows around with a bucket and collect their sweat. Then we'd run it through a cheesecloth & get the fat out. rabbit rabbit rabbit

Actually, I usually use olive oil for most things, but some deep fried dishes just don't taste the same

cheers,

Owen

Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech
    Why the hell did this get moved to the camping section? Took me half an hour to find the thread as I am not interested in camping, it has nothing to do with camping, and is a general interest thread. No wonder people get p!ssed off.

Carefull, don't think you are suppossed to ask questions like that. I asked the same question last week and the whole thread (was an interesting one too) got deleted.