Thread: Hot plate for single burner

Hot plate for single burner

I am going to buy one of those single burner stoves that run off the disposable butane cartridge and comes in a neat little plastic suitcase.

I want to buy a hot plate for it as well, I know that there are a couple of different types however I am chasing the one with the drain hole in the plate that you can put a bung in to stop it from draining if you wish and am having trouble finding where these ones are sold??

Any help and recommendations on brands, places that have them on special etc at the moment would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Re: Hot plate for single burner

Not sure that the centre hole is good for the butane stoves. You might be better with a griddle type that will drain the fat to the sides for later cleaning

Got too keen yesterday and went and picked one up anyway. The drain in the centre is channeled underneath the plate and drips off to the side into either your own catcher or onto the sand if it's on the edge of your table.

Paid $45 for it which was more than what I thought but it is a pretty neat little unit. Got a primus stove with 4 gas cylinders for $30 so I thought that was ok.

At the end of the day I am happy with the product I bought so you don't mind paying a few extra dollars.

CHRIS_aka_GWH

if its the one that uses aerosol can type cylinders in a little hatch on the side of the stove make sure the cast iron hotplate does not overhang the butane cyclinder whatsoever - its in the safety instructions.

I personally use a cast iron frypan. I love the stoves they are excellent.

Mine is a cheapo GasMate, had it for 3 years now - gets a lot of beach & boat use. I wish the plastic carry "briefcase" had extra spaces for the gas cyclinders so it could all be carried together.

chris

Chris

My plate does overhang the cylinder a bit, is it just because of the heat build up that it is not recommended to do this? If so would a heat shield or insulation around the cylinder fix the issue?

Primus also make a little carry bag for their 2 burner stoves for about $10. This bag fits the one burner with plastic suitcase and a couple of spare cartridges.

I looked at the cast iron pans as well as this was my preferred option but was not a fan of how bulky they become with a big handle sticking out the side........and the sealable drain tipped the plate of the winners post. Used it saturday night and sunday morning and was quite impressed with it.

Can anyone fill me in on the recommendation not to have the plate overhanging the cylinder area?

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Quote Originally Posted by Rhetly
    I looked at the cast iron pans as well as this was my preferred option but was not a fan of how bulky they become with a big handle sticking out the side........ it.
    the handles unscrew on most cast iron campware