Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp lighting

Camp lighting

I am going camping later in the year at stradbroke and i would like some advice on lighting.

I normally use a gas light but this year we are going to set up a big tarp over the camp site so i was thinking of using a flouro.

I have only seen one flouro and it could be run off d cell batteries or plugged into a power supply.Any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: Camp lighting

you can get flouros that run off car battery's from auto spare parts places if that is the way you want to go. just plug into the cig lighter or cut the ends off and use clips onto the battery direct
    Rainbow Trout is NOT skittle flavoured fish.........

Toga,

Iam also in the market for a fluoro

Can anyone suggest brands!

What do I steer clear of?

Cheers Graeme

I went to Fraser last September and rigged up a tarp like what you are talking about. I also invested in a $95 petrol generator #and 4 flouro lead lights (I think they were around $10 each) from Bunnings. When I put the tarp up I zip tied the lead lights to the loops in my tarp, one for each side of the tarp, ran them back to the centre pole into a powerboard, then into the generator. When I got back to camp at night after fishing I simply fired up the generator and the whole site lights up like a christmas tree! Excellent.

The only problem is that some places dont allow generators.

Cheers!
    Jason

Here is a picture of the camp. You can't really see the lighting, but it might give you ideas of how you want to set up.

I will be camping at cylinder beach at straddie.Camp sites there are 6 metres x 6 mtrs and they are all near each other so I don't know about generators I don't remember hearing any last chrissie not that i was taking any notice though.

Can you get quiet generators.
    Are they those little flouros you put under the hood of the car.I didn't think of those I was thinking of a big flouro like about 4 foot long

Hi Toga,
    # # # # I've been using 12 volt flouros for over 20 years and wouldn't use anything else having started with pressure kero( a bit dangerous according to the missus) and moved on to gas.The disadvantages are both have safety risks and are hot ,not counting mantle and glass breakage.

I use 3 twin element flouros,connected in series using car wiring connectors from the wreckers with 1 having alligator clips and ciggie fitting. This way I can use either 1 or all 3 depending on my tent set up. I use a car battery from my local auto electrician which has been exchanged as it doesn't have enough grunt to kick a car over but is plenty to run my lights for a couple of weeks. He gives them to me for their scrap value. Before going camping I charge it up and have never had any problems.
    Apart from the cost of a new battery, this saves the problem of having to charge / discharge a new battery several times a year,although having said that I recently bought a sealed electric wheelchair battery which doesnt need that, and has been fantastic.

I have bought my lights from the auto stores ( around $20 and will last a few years) and have one that cost me $ 90 but it is fully waterproof and draws very little current.Most of these ideas have come from seeing other campers set ups over the years.

Hope that gives you food for thought
    Knackers [smiley=jester.gif]

Spent 4 years camping (ah I mean working) on Mornington Island. You can't go past a good quality flouro such as a versalite!

Can you get quiet generators.
    Are they those little flouros you put under the hood of the car.I didn't think of those I was thinking of a big flouro like about 4 foot long [/quote]

They one I have is not very loud at all. I put it about 5 metres from the tarp area and you can't hear it over the surf.
    The flouros I got were the ones about a foot long and yeah, they are the sort you use under the hood of a car.
    They do the trick though!

I went to super cheap and got a couple of the fluoro’s they sell for about $10-15 and just hooked each one up to 12V 7Amp battery. They come with an adaptor for a cig lighter and also some clips to hook onto a battery.

I camp regularly and have been using the same lights for the past year and a half with out fail, they are cheapies but they still do the job.

just make sure you get the loop type fluros. they seem to have lower amp draw than the old single tube ones. I've got the Arlec brand 12v model, draws 1 amp per hour and i run it frm a gel type Sealed Lead Acid battery from a golf cart or wheelchair. 33 amp/hr battery means i can camp for a week and SLA means no acid spills. i only use the one light and i find it plenty bright when fitted to centre of tarp spreader.

roo

Thanks all thats great . I found a flouro in the garage i didn't think i would ever use so all i need is a battery and another light.Two should be o k hopefully.Thats one less thing off the list

I have used a number of methods of lights at camp and I now use the versalite two of in fact. I had my vehicle set up with a 2nd battery to run my fridge and had installed two 12 v external sockets so I can simply plug in and instant light.

I used these on a recent Cape trip and they worked a treat.
    Advantage over gas 1. No need to take gas bottle 2. no issues with mantles or broken glass shroud 3. no cost for gas.

Disadvantage of versalights. 1 Upfront cost about $90.00 each. 2. Need longer than the 5 metre leads they come standard with. 3. Need to set the leads up out of the way (no biggie) so you don't trip over them.

My two cents worth

Brian

we use to use a 300 watt inverter and ran house hold fluro's !worked a treat! but now we run a generator!

Best 12v fluro light I have ever seen is the Colight. Not cheap but the one I saw was brighter thatn a gas lantern. They come in 12v and 24v versions. I don't have one myself, yet, but will be getting one very shortly.
    Cheers
    Bill