Thread: Tripout Chasing Reds Before NZ

Tripout Chasing Reds Before NZ

Wife and I were off on a cruise thru New Zealand and I had a couple days before it so I gathered my mate up and needed to get out and get onto some fish here's how it went down on the 10/11 Nov
    Left the harbour to head out for an overnighter hopes weren't real high for the night as i was onto the idea the wind might pick up a bit but we pushed on.
    5 km out the harbour the tuna were thick and a quick flick and my mate was straight on and then dropped another but alas we had plenty of bait .

First stop was a little piece of ground i had found but in march where we had picked up a big red first drop and this time we weren t disappionted as i pulled a good red up and then we caught big slatey after slatey no matter what we did of tried they wouldn t go away .

We gave that idea away and decided to go a different direction and try and find some new ground off the Dog Leg lines.
    First spot produce some awesome sharks smashing us as we moved here and there.
    Brad scored a large cod that couldn t be coaxed to take its way back down so he ended up in the esky.
    Nothing else was biting anywheres but sharks and OH Slatey's
    So next spot and started our drift we picked up some schoolie Reds and a Trout with a huge Lemon shark that stretched my arms clean off by the time we ripped him up from the 55m mark.

Right on the turn of the tide it broke loose with some great Reds being caught with 3 outstanding big boys Reds and RedJew but nothing else but one small hussar lol.

The wind was howling out there and nowhere to hide so we Pushed thru to Flat for a well earned sleep and tried to see what the morning would bring.
    Up every hour and checking but was still standing up well. We trolled at first light to be absolutely smashed by a big spanish before he took a good xrap with him and 5 foot of trace .

Anchored on a small patch off flat and boxed a good Black king before we decided to hit our little spot we got the first Red on the way home. And it held awesome as we pulled 5 Slateys in a row off it and a home we went .

New Zealand was absolutely awesome
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Re: Tripout Chasing Reds Before NZ

Nice box of reds jt good stuff

Well done JT nothing looks better than a chully bun full of red fish. You're wasting away to a shadow m8 you need to get some meat back on those bones.

You have a hard life JT...Well done as usual mate great report and quality fish to go with it. Cheers mate.

Some nice reds there JT, well done mate.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.