Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surprisingly tasty

Surprisingly tasty

Fishing in Moreton bay this morning. and caught quite a few undersized squire, tusk fish, and catfish.

Some of the catfish, however, were huge. They looked so clean, bright silver and grey, the way a Barra looks in the salt compared to when they are up in the fresher waters. I have always been told they were quite edible, but tried one once from a river, and it was muddy/weedy, and not nice. These looked so good, I decided to try again, so I kept just one mid-sized catty. I bled him when he came on board in case that would help the taste. When home, I filleted him and the flesh was very pale, looked ok.

Just finished frying him up. Just egg and flour, little bit of lemon, and the flesh cooked pure white. The taste was great too! I think the bigger ones might be too dry, but this one was tasty. Great lunch

Re: Surprisingly tasty

I ate a shovel nosed ray from the bay recently and it was surprisingly good too, not 100% on the texture but taste was good. No harm in trying heh

I have eaten and enjoyed, what I called, shovel nosed shark. Presume it's much the same. Anyway, I found it just as good as any flake I've had at a fish'n'chip shop.

Aussies eat tons of catfish every year.

its labled Bassa
    Cheers

Steven

It can also be labeled Cod, Flake, Hake, Dory and just about anything else.........
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    It can also be labeled Cod, Flake, Hake, Dory and just about anything else.........
    Yes, and there's a whole discussion about that problem that can be had. Using "local" and invented names to disguise real ID is a pet peeve of mine.

Silver cobbler in the Kimberley

Quote Originally Posted by PixieAU View Post
    Silver cobbler in the Kimberley

I like that name for it !!

It is a slightly fatty flesh and goes really well smoked. In WA if you threw a cattie back they would think your were stupid.

Shovel nose sharks are quite nice to eat but I found them a bit of a pain to fillet and skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    It is a slightly fatty flesh and goes really well smoked. In WA if you threw a cattie back they would think your were stupid.
    Interesting that WA likes them.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    Shovel nose sharks are quite nice to eat but I found them a bit of a pain to fillet and skin.

Need to sharpen the knife for the skin, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by back2boats View Post
    Need to sharpen the knife for the skin, for sure.
    Yeah I really need to hone my sharpening skills.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    Yeah I really need to hone my sharpening skills.

Oh dear

You need to sharpen up your act McKnight