Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cruise Craft In Cairns, Does Size Really Matter?

Cruise Craft In Cairns, Does Size Really Matter?

Hi guys,

Next year I intend to buy my first real reef boat. Due to the beauty and response from owners on here, I have my heart set on a Cruise Craft.
    I intend to make this boat a long term keeper, so after years I would rather upgrade motors rather than the boat because I find Cruise Crafts pretty timeless..

So my intended uses for the boat are reef fishing on Cairns fighting the sharp chop to head out to all reefs and chase reds/nanis and the odd dolphin/mack hunt as my experience grows. I will 95% of the time fish just me and my brother, but want to comfortably take 4 people out so as not to exclude my wife and his gf. with the likely hood of taking 5/6 people out once a year or so. I'm prepared to spend the time and unfortunately money on getting trim tabs, hydrofoil and props to ensure the boat stays and comfortable and fuel efficient as possible in 15knot max conditions (this years shitty weather 90% of the time)
    I would ideally like to fish in 10 knots or less every time but due to work that will rarely ever happen.

So what size and model would be the best? At the moment 5mtr models are selling from $22k to $28k but they go up in price pretty steeply with the size.. would an explorer do the job or should I search for the right Outsider?

Any help and information would be great! Thanks guys.

Re: Cruise Craft In Cairns, Does Size Really Matter?

Size does matter unfortunately when it comes to handling chop in comfort. There is no substitute for sheer bulk. Personally I would be thinking 625 or bigger.

Leaving aside the physical size of modern boats - on the typical sea conditions you get up here (within the wind range you are talking about) you need a minimum 18 footer - a 17 footer will see you hitting the next wave all the time- whereas the extra length in the 18 footer will get you across the top of the next one in more comfort. (e.g hitting every 2nd or 3rd wave instead of every 1 or 2)

if you want to fish 4 regularly and more than that on occasion - you are talking bigger again anyway -a 585 would probably do the job (very tight with 6 though) - but bigger = more comfort/room but also more $$$$$.

Explorer or Outsider q depends on your fishing needs

As said above, the bigger the better. Longer length and more weight contribute to a better ride.
    Then you need to consider initial and running costs, tow vehicle for a big boat (especially for you to get back up the mountain), old 2 stroke engine or newer 4s or DI 2 stroke, and on it goes.
    Only you can weigh up all those factors for your own situation.

I agree with you that the reality of most people's situation makes fishing only on flat days unrealistic. If you want to use your boat regularly then it will need to be able to cut into headwind chop of 10 to 15 knots.
    My opinion is that ideally something around 5.8m (hull only length) and a ~150hp will let you go where you want. Many people fish the inner reefs with smaller boats than that.
    I live down the hill, and a little to the south of you.

Fishing and boating with the possibility of 5 or 6 would be quite a squeeze in anything under 6 metres. In fact i would never take 6 out in my Yalta 6.1 and it has heaps of deck space. If you want to have comfort even for two over a long period of time, i recommend upwards of 6 metres. I started with a 17 footer and was so happy go go up to a 20 ft. Abd honestly a 22 footer is a temptation for me.
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

I hope the Dmax can tow it comfortably, you don't even know my current boat is behind it but its only 1 tonne.
    I would rather buy right.. so taking all advice into account, the 625 outsider should definitely suit my needs. It would be barely ever more than 3-4 people would be on my boat as more a one off family trip in absolute perfect conditions so as not to scare the family.
    Motors will be what they come with on purchase, and an upgrade down the track.. but a nice 4 stroke around max hp with a great engine management system so I can keep an eye on how to use the boat properly without burning too much fuel.

Thanks for all your input!

Ps. Snatchy might have to have a fish together some time

A quick scan of the 625's for sale at the moment and this one looks like a pretty good deal as most still have older carby 2 strokes.
    http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...45&pss=Premium
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

You have really got to think about this one , you don't want to be like most people, who buy 3 boats before they are satisfied with their final boat size. Nothing worse than having a boat you are not happy with, too small or under powered. Before putting your hard earned money on the table, make the right decision the first time, boats start to become very expensive when you start to sell them. I agree with scottar go 625 or bigger. When you do go this size you will need crew, to help with fuel and light duties. I have a 5.1 Javelin CC and I love mine I often go 80km off shore chasing reds, and good for creeks too. When the weather does blow up it can get nasty, but having fish in the boat numbs the pain on the trip home. I don't need a crew for my boat to go fishing, that suits me fine. A big boat you will need crew it's mandatory.

6.5m as a minimum unless you want to be confined to 10-15knts. Just my personal preference and opinion.

Bigger will always be better. Maybe broaden your horizons a bit and look at other makes as well. Plenty of good boats around. Have you ever heard the nickname of Bruisecraft? Food for thought.

Bear in mind, that when you go over 6 m you usually go over 2 tonne and need a trailer with break away system that is more costly to buy and maintain. Bloody boats are always a compromise! I've gone from a 6.2m Seafarer to an old 91 model Cruisecraft outsider 580 and Repowered with a new 140 Suzi and gotta say I'm loving this boat! It's cheap boating!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Maybe take a few boats of a few different makes out for a spin in some choppy conditions. Just because a boat is 6.5 metres doesnt make it any good. Some perform better than others.

My father has got a 5m explorer and it rides pretty hard. I would class it as a bay boat and not a serious offshore boat.

Lengths over 6 meters definitely make it easier to bridge the chop and stay on top. However some 6m boats will still ride much harder than some 5.5m boats.
    I certainly wouldn't be restricting myself to CruiseCraft. There are a lot of good yank boats on the second hand market these days at the right price and will ride better then Cruisey.

I went through this process before I bought mine , and after much debate went 7 plus ! 2 is great 3 is fine 4 would be my max for fishing , boat is rated to 9 ,soon as it blows 15 in anything less you will get wet , I can't see myself ever going down in boat size , fuel wise I'm bloody great for a 7.5 , cruise at,1.2-1.4 kpl , so a 200 k normal trip will see close to 200 litres gone , but I think that's good and have no drama justifying it , a paying decky is a bonus but not necessary , I handle all job's solo , maintenance is more expensive than fuel in most boats unfortunately