Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spin reel advice for NT trip

Re: Spin reel advice for NT trip

I kind of like the Shimano sustain, good reel and can put up with some punishment, though as mentioned, the Penn Conflict looks to be a pretty good option for the price, kind of like a black SSV it looks, you could buy two and keep one for a spare for the price of a Sustain, and the Saltist is around the same price as the Sustain, but I know a few who have had some problems with the Saltist.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I kind of like the Shimano sustain, good reel and can put up with some punishment, though as mentioned, the Penn Conflict looks to be a pretty good option for the price, kind of like a black SSV it looks, you could buy two and keep one for a spare for the price of a Sustain, and the Saltist is around the same price as the Sustain, but I know a few who have had some problems with the Saltist.
    Nice but the Sustain maxes out at a size 4000 holding 265yd of 15lb braid...I don't think it will work on the rod and use specified

I ran Stradic 5000,s for guiding, believe me they got a flogging, used them for everything from barra to jew to gts etc etc alot of this was using them locked up as well, they handle it well, of course i had breakages (handles were an issue) but i must stress that 1 years of use would be equal to at least 5+ years of normal use. Would recommend them for sure as a mid range price option, i ran 30ld fins on them and only got spooled a couple times by big mackies when we had multiple hook ups so could not chase fish..

Thanks all. Went with the Catalina 4000H. Not had a chance to try it yet but will hopefully have a few outings over the Summer before our trip north.

Cheers.

My vote depending how it feels on the rod is the new Saragosa 6000SW. Nice and light and a good solid little reel. Good line capacity and a really nice smooth reel. Worth having a look at before the going with the more expensive reels here..

edit. Just saw you went with the Catalina. Very nice indeed!