Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: maroochy river 14/11/14

Re: maroochy river 14/11/14

Massive help. Thanks. sidescan is an awesome bit of kit. Have a little humminbird unit on the yak the works a treat, gotta get some of that in the boat too now.

Hunting mullet/scructure/prawns/bait you cant beat the side scan its almost cheating.....

I was fishing up Baffle creek a month ago and whilst drifting around near the mouth in gin clear water saw a flathead that would have been over a 1000mm long almost fell off the front casting deck awesome looking fish.
    I think after see these images I will need to work out how to read my sounder a little better, only just started fishing the Maroochy river of late and targeting jacks but that young fella's picture sort of humbles my fish somewhat.
    AB

andrew....big live bait....low tide on dark (get a lot of fish 3/4/5pm ) there are jack/jew in there i cant even stop ....stay late (the amount of times i fall asleep and wake up to a screaming reel lol )

Hey Astro. I don't fish Maroochy but just wondering what sort of rig do you use to live bait a 60cm mullet in 3-4m of water? Is the Maroochy fast flowing?
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Astro without giving too much away are there any better spots for the mullet. I have a side scan on my sounder but obviously need to give my interpretation skills a bit of honing.
    AB

gimme i use small running sinker to slow the mullet down and keep his towards the bottom...1m of 50 pound flurocarbon leader ...3/o suicide hook snelled to the line and then another 3/o suicide just enough between the hooks to reach the tail...top hook through the top lip of the mullet and second through the body just behind the anal fin....top hook keeps the mullets head into the current and he swims natural.....second hook in the tail because 99% of the time they hit the tail first...smaller mullet use 2/0...1/o ...

thought i would post some more pics for the guys trying to read their side scan to clear up some questions....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ouch.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	106521
    ouch...a pic from a few weeks ago...the rig i use ...jacks were just hitting the mullet but not eating them....just one bite and thats it...

Name:	shot 10.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	106522
    between some bridge pillars...you can see the pillars are about 5m out each side and the shadow big objects cast...a fallen tree pretty much under the center of the boat with mullet all in the branches....will you get mullet? yes ...will you get your net back? no....bad place to throw...good place to fish

Name:	shot 13.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	106523
    school of big mullet aprox 2m out port side....only 6m out from the bank starboard side....

Name:	shot 15.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	106524

Name:	shot 16.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	106525
    30min fight to get this guy up lol

Name:	shot 18.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	106526
    1 min after this shot three baits smashed and one shark on...

Name:	shot 20.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	106527
    this is what you want....a few hundred big mullet ...see why above sharks and rays were following to bad no jew or jacks followed

Astro,
    Appreciate your time to help out in sounder image interpretation.
    AB

Will down scan image show the similar images as the side scan just not the sides

second picture on the first page mate....blue is down scan....it has as much detail as the side scan but you pretty much have to be right over the fish to see them...