Thread: 2014 Sept School holidays Taylors Beach land based

2014 Sept School holidays Taylors Beach land based

Went for the usual trip up north to visit family for the school holidays and go in the Lions Hinchinbrook Family Fishing Classic. My borrowing a friends boat fell through so was restricted to fishing off the bank/beach. Arrived sunday and monday morning my son was pestering me to have a fish. We headed to rocks near the boat ramp where a deep channel runs along. By 10 am he had a nice Jack on a yabby . It was a bit of surprise for both of us and I did not have my measure with me. It would have gone close to legal if not over (threw it back). Next few days were small whiting and flatties until one night chasing bait for some barra, I got amoungst some sea mullet with my son. Picked them all up in about 5 casts with the cast net at the mouth of a small creek as the tide was rising over the sand flats. Also picked up a bream. No small mullet though!

Thought my chances for the fishing classic would be good if I managed some estuary fish as the weather was fantastic and as expected, alot of fishers went to the reef. In summary, my fishing adventures over the weekend were crap and I only managed to weigh in 1 whiting . The photo demonstrates my dissapointment . Even more so when the fish weighed in around me were 10 plus kg spaniards, trevally, cod etc or 70 cm grunter.

Anyway, the second week of the school holidays my fishing mojo was still missing and was easily outfished by my 7 yo son. The next door kid came with us and he also managed a butter fish (as I call them) and a golden trevally. We caught about 10 of the butter fish in the same spot over a few arvos. On yabbies. Also a few picks of the areas fished. Small mud clumps towards the mouth from the boat ramp. The rock walls with rod holders provided by the council. These are good spots (normally) when the tide is in full. Also looking over to the spit on the other side where people fish in the channels when the tide is out.

Left Taylors the Thursday just as the tides were starting to get big enough to fish the rock walls etc, so it will have to be next time to get amoungst them.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ausfish 1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	105973   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ausfish 5 mullte.jpg 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	105974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asufish 3 mud.jpg 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	105975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ausfish 2 kids.jpg 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	105976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ausfish 6 up creek.jpg 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	105977  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ausfish spit.jpg 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	105978  

Re: 2014 Sept School holidays Taylors Beach land based

Wow you are doing a great job with those future men. . You reap what you sow. You're a great dad and a big boost to a decent society. Keep up the good work.