Thread: what to do??

what to do??

Well, after my outboard giving up the ghost a little while ago i decided to repower it.. Found one suitable but the leg wasnt quiet long enough.. Now this sounds silly but i got it anyway on a mates advice (really good mechanic with the promise it would be easy to swap over) Anyway, 10 weeks later and there still isn't a solution in sight. We pretty much had it lined up to start with as a straight swap with my old motor for parts thrown in with another wrecker.
    Now all i want is for my boat to get out the seaway so i can fish...
    Its in immaculate condition, full service history rebuild not long ago etc and is a yamaha 115 (the one just before the saltwater series and has digital gauges etc..
    Im a bit over the headache, i need something 90 to 115 with an XL leg. Should i sell it then look for another one or i have talked to a few marine places that have second hand ones that may do a swap for something else.. Or does anyone have the opposite problem to me and could help?? Just putting it out there..
    Nathank
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: what to do??

I have seen where they cut the transom down not sure if this would suit.

There are a few options - swap the motor, swap the leg, swap the boat, a leg extension kit, a mount to allow the motor to sit where required, modify the transom if possible or look at a different prop that can run higher if the setup is only just too high and the motor is still getting enough water for the cooling to operate properly.

Looks like you have it mounted a couple of holes up in that picture, maybe I don't quite get what the problem is.

Would a jacking plate work in this case. Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Would a jacking plate work in this case. Matt
    Possibly but you may need more setback to allow for tilting.

so.. when the motor is trimmed down.. the prop is pretty much in line with the V in the bottom of the hull.. i could drop it a tiny bit more but im sure it needs to well clear of the bottom of the hull right?
    the pic below should explain what i mean.. its not trimmed right in because i have the battery disconnected..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

lbger is nathank btw, ones a work computer account (no idea what the password is lol)
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Yep, it needs to be lower, and quite a bit.

Agree with Noelm - needs to be sustantially lower. Depending on the hull set up though the "top" blade tip of the prop can sit just above the vee of the hull. On my Victory the AV plate is 50 or so millimetres above the vee. This has the blade tip at the top just above the vee at normal running trim. The main thing you want lower than the vee is your water intakes so there is no chance of interruption to the cooling. Take a look at these guys: www.baymfg.com/kits/yamahamariner - not sure of dollars or whether there is a local agent.