Thread: Garmin 1020xs info please!!

Garmin 1020xs info please!!

I've begun the process of replacing the old global map gps with a new gps/sounder combo. I've been having a look around at the latest boat shows and like what I see in the garmin 1020xs, however I'm no expert and haven't seen one in action other than test mode.
    If anyone is running one what are your thoughts?
    My intended use is offshore waters anywhere from 10 - 90 meters.
    Also my main sounder is a furuno fcv 585.
    Cheers Joel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Garmin 1020xs info please!!

I have one in my little boat. I use it in PPB only and have it paired with the GCV10 sidescan module. I mainly use it in scanning mode so have only a B60 transducer for normal sonar. If you went chirp or 1kw on the main txdcr your offshore performance should increase although I have no complaints with the B60 - I can mark fish at 30knots in 22m of water the image is crystal clear.

I like the menus and the gps is easy to use especially with the optional charts (g2? - can't remember ). In short I'm very happy with it would recommend it.

I have a 585 in my bigger boat with M260 txdcr, hds8 with structurescan setup. I feel the garmin sidescan is clearer and works deeper than the lowrance, although it's hard to compare the garmin to the 585 as the M260 is a 1kw very narrow beam specifically for deep water at which it is exceptional.

Hope I have not infected you with my confusion...

cheers

No confusion, and some good info thanks.

Did yours come standard with the HD/Id / down view transducer? If so did you use it and what was it like?

brilliant bulletproof simple units. "A few things id like to see changed or added" but for the price i dont think there is a better system for shallow "deep with various transducer options" unit
    i would sugest opting for either a tm150 chirp transducer or a 300w HDID transducer instead of the downvu77/200 transducer if you see a GV10 in your future. saves dollars and dosnt double up on the downVu

Garmin clear vu "side and down" is just blowing me away. they have really bought the goods to the table in the high frequency wars

Hi barney,
    no, never used mine with the standard hdid/down vu txdcr, went gcv10 from the getgo with the 600w through-hull b60 as a main. Have not heard any negatives about the standard combo txdcr just doesn't do full side vu/down vu and doesn't come as a through hull - I like through hulls for high speed operation.

I would have thought if you have a 585 as a main, your primary attraction to the garmin would be for gps/side vu/down vu and would just go straight to the gcv10 and no standard txdcr it's not that much extra for what it gives you.
    I agree with moose, if you are going to use it for traditional sonar in deeper water I'd go for either a 300w chirp ( tm150 or b150) or 600w chirp transducer ( b75 ) and maximise its available performance ( may even give the 585 a scare!). If you plan to keep the 585 as your main sonar and want a gps with the ability to downscan the standard txdcr will work, you just won't have sidescan.

The ultimate setup for this head unit would be the unit, a b75 600w chirp txdcr, the gcv10 module and the charts. Radar and autopilot optional. Chuck the 585. Only drawback is it doesn't have a video in.
    Cheers

Yeah your right my attraction to the unit is gps, down and side view, and to give the 585 a bit of redundancy.
    So looks like I would want to purchase the gv10 to get slide and down view.
    For the fishing I do (anywhere between 12 and 90 metres) what would be the Best transducer option to get the most out of the unit, tm150 or the 600 watt transducer? Or are there any others I should think about?

Thanks again.

For your needs, dunno the best main txdcr. The unit can do 1kw traditional or 600w chirp but you only need 90m so probably don't need to max out the power. The chirp units will give you more detail so if it was me I'd lean towards chirp. The 300w 150 is available as either a transom mount or through hull, I think the 600w 75 is a through hull only so that may alter your prefs. The traditional 1kw can be either as well but are getting exxy.

Is the 300w chirp better than a 600w traditional? I don't know about depth capability but I think almost anything will cover your needs, the big point they are pushing with chirp is its clarity and detail.

I wonder if you can get an adapter made to be able to use your 585's txdcr on the garmin in an emergency if trad sonar on the garmin is a backup to the 585?
    I guess if it's a backup you have to decide if you want the perfect/ultimate setup or one that works acceptably until whatever 585 issue you have is resolved.

Cheers

Got one works well talk to the Moose

i like to think of myself as the re-encartion of Bobby Mcfarren..........but then i see that im not.. sigh...

but sure im more than happy to help "in the process of making videos about a bunch of different popular sonar/gps units atm "

What's one worth with side vu?

2650 of those australian dollars for a 1020xs with a GCV10 module box as well

Well I did a bit of a back flip, went to Northside marine today and ended up with the 750xs with tm150. I liked the touch screen option more than push buttons. Plus ended up going with a new 600w thru hull for the fcv 585. Hopefully this will be a good combo. Will probably add a gcv 10 down the track as well.

A big thumbs up to the service I received today from Northside marine, I was there for over an hour talking to the salesman and he went out if his way to help find the results I was trying to achieve.

Joel.

great unit. you'll be happy with it