Thread: Self Centering Rollers

Self Centering Rollers

Heya!

I'm curious to know if self centering rollers work well on fiberglass boat 5+ meters long?

Like this: https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...AbsolutePage=2

--julian

Re: Self Centering Rollers

They are excellent. Just be certain that you install the correct way.
    Cheers
    Ray

They do work, but they will not stop a boat skidding off if there is a bit of pressure from wind or current, the self centering thingos are only small.

Get the driver a few more lesson I recon
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

They seemed like a good idea but found them useless unless the boat was inline with the trailer, no wind and no tide. Ended up going with Ezi-guide setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Get the driver a few more lesson I recon
    Come out with me Garry I'll learn of the master. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    They do work, but they will not stop a boat skidding off if there is a bit of pressure from wind or current, the self centering thingos are only small.
    I'm fighting a few issues with my setup. First is skill on my part. Second is a badly designed broker trailer.

Mate there is only so much you can polish a turd. The Brooker trailers are terrible. Short answer......get rid of it and buy another. I did this 12 months ago and couldn't be happier. Got a Redco sportsman and have never looked back. Drive on and off with ease. Failing this there are a few mods you can do that eases the pain. Try here http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ighlight=gawby

Quote Originally Posted by One more drop View Post
    Mate there is only so much you can polish a turd. The Brooker trailers are terrible. Short answer......get rid of it and buy another. I did this 12 months ago and couldn't be happier. Got a Redco sportsman and have never looked back. Drive on and off with ease. Failing this there are a few mods you can do that eases the pain. Try here http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ighlight=gawby
    Mythbusters managed to get a high shine on a piece of elephant turd, but the rest is spot on, I am in the process of doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by One more drop View Post
    Been modifying my trailer as per that post already. got the skids on now. Testing Saturday.

I ended up with the Ezi-guide system like Gon Fishun.
    Go out alone a lot, and once you get the nose of the boat between the 'V' rollers (and hold it there with the winch cable/strap) you can go up to the winch and wind it in.
    The ramp I use does have a breakwater to kill the wave action, the system does have limitations, if it is rough and windy enough to take the nose of the boat out of the rollers.
    I normally come in before it gets that bad, if I am by myself. (Sometimes I stuff up.)
    Mine is F/G and about 4.5 metres.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejim View Post
    I ended up with the Ezi-guide system like Gon Fishun.
    Go out alone a lot, and once you get the nose of the boat between the 'V' rollers (and hold it there with the winch cable/strap) you can go up to the winch and wind it in.
    The ramp I use does have a breakwater to kill the wave action, the system does have limitations, if it is rough and windy enough to take the nose of the boat out of the rollers.
    I normally come in before it gets that bad, if I am by myself. (Sometimes I stuff up.)
    Mine is F/G and about 4.5 metres.
    Spoke to aussie123 tonight and after a discussion the ezy guides do seem the way to go. I haven't gone solo in my boat as of yet, hopefully this type of system can make this a possibility.

I think the skids will work for the moment however, the moment the nose tries to go over it should in theory slide back into the middle. I'd really like to get a new trailer, but 4K is a bit. They'll easily get me my radar and auto pilot

Quote Originally Posted by JulianDeMarchi View Post
    Spoke to aussie123 tonight and after a discussion the ezy guides do seem the way to go. I haven't gone solo in my boat as of yet, hopefully this type of system can make this a possibility.

I think the skids will work for the moment however, the moment the nose tries to go over it should in theory slide back into the middle. I'd really like to get a new trailer, but 4K is a bit. They'll easily get me my radar and auto pilot

FWIW. I was at the Beachmere ramp, Caboolture river, solo, dark o'clock, tide was running out. I had to jack knife the trailer across the ramp to get less entry angle. At that stage the boat and trailer wasn't really a drive on style so I had to drag it to the trailer, tie it off then get the winch rope hooked up and drag it through Ezi guide. I reckon it would have been a real struggle with lots of chipped gelcoat without it.

Gidday Julian,

I had these rollers on the previous boat I owned, I felt they worked and can only help, even if only a little. Even with the drive on dunbier I am told by my deckie at the winchpost that the boat sometimes looks like it possibly might miss the middle keel roller, but maybe I sense a disaster about to happen and I narrowly miss having to explain to the wife why I need money for repairs to the keel. I have seen these mods in other threads, they are grouse. Any mods to the brooker is a step in the right direction, give me a yell and I will love to see the finished result mate!

Scalem