Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is it with Winnebago's and caravans??

What is it with Winnebago's and caravans??

Travelling to and from 1770 in the last week, there were loads of grey nomads on the road, mostly heading south for summer. Caravans and various kinds of camper-vehicles of the kind i call Winnebago's. You know the ones I mean.

Many of them travel along at the speed limit OK, but a fair percentage travel at 90-95km/hr, but when they get to an overtaking lane, suddenly find the loud pedal and speed up to 105-110, making overtaking difficult.

I gather from people who drive these vehicles that they get better economy sitting between 85-95kmh, and i have no great problem with that, provided they are courteous and move over and let the line of traffic behind them through when the opportunity presents. A number of them did that and we gave them a courteous wave as we went past.

But, what is with the ones that speed up in the overtaking zones or on the straight stretches of single lane where passing is feasible????

We (Landcruiser V8 diesel towing a big boat, and sitting on the 100kmh limit all the time) and about 50 other vehicles heading south had to sit behind this nob driving a Jayco winnebago mobile home north of Gympie on Saturday. He was doing exactly as described earlier, 85-95 but speeding up to 105-110 on all the overtaking zones.

We all got past him thru Gympie on the double lane thru the town, and he wondered why every second vehicle gave him the bird as they went past.

Bloody NSW numberplates may have provided part of the answer, but hell, what is it with these people?

Do they just hate being passed? Does it hurt their fragile egos?

Are they oblivious to other road users?

Are they just arrogant "I can travel at any speed I like as I paid my taxes for 40 years blah blah blah..."

It wasn't just one, there were plenty if them doing it. I would say at least 30% of them.

Rant over. Feel better now!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Re: What is it with Winnebago's and caravans??

I think it comes down to them being aware of others and realizing that they have been stuck behind them for a bit. My old man goes slower through dual lane and over taking sections to let people past and I do the same when towing the boat. Even day to day driving people just don't give a damn about anyone else on the road.

I hear you.....
    90% of truck drivers are the same.
    Boaties seem better though....I know I am.

I hate driving the car because I am at the mercy of these assclowns - on the bikes though, it is a different matter....so long as constabulary are not around.
    Bikes will not tow the boat though.

This thread belongs with the courtesy offshore and boat ramp ones.....

I notice the same thing with vehicles (not towing) in NSW. Every 2 years I head down for Xmas and about 80% of the dickheads down there are happy to sit on 95km/h until the overtaking lanes and they are up to 120KM/h just to prevent being overtaken and then back down to 95 again in the single lanes. So your hypothesis of NSW plates is probably on the money.

Righto fire away!

We recently did 8 weeks towing up to Cape trib and back with our van and noticed the same thing but we sat on the speed limit using our in car gps and where overtaking these nobs as well ...Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

That is situation normal in nsw. Every ######## floors it at the double lanes then stops at the other end. I have never been able to work it out.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    I notice the same thing with vehicles (not towing) in NSW. Every 2 years I head down for Xmas and about 80% of the dickheads down there are happy to sit on 95km/h until the overtaking lanes and they are up to 120KM/h just to prevent being overtaken and then back down to 95 again in the single lanes. So your hypothesis of NSW plates is probably on the money.

Righto fire away!
    Righto fire away?.......I can't 'cause it's true.For twenty years I drove diesel fourbies that struggled to get passed these clowns,it was absolute murder and drove me to distraction.I found a solution,an XR8 custom tuned to 320 hp at the wheels.Now boat or no boat I can leave these pests behind.Now I only have to contend with the other 20% of dickheads that pull out in front of you and sit on a ridiculously low highway speed.

Lol n doesnt happen with Vanners only, and reason I dread driving often down to Brisvages n back. If it isnt the roadworks that never get finished or fall apart day after they are supposed to have finished them n have to drop back to either 80kmh , 60kmh , 40kmh , then stop while halfe the roadworkers pick ths leftover nuggets out of their acehairs its having to slow down again because they are now waiting for the funding to arrive to finish off the linemarking!!!!!, feck I forgot to mention all the barricades that were forgotten to be retreived so the speed limit can be raied a tad.
    And if that isnt enough then the 90 km zones due to so calldd crash zones or whatever .
    And yes when you get over all that then one has to whooa-up for the Caravaners n sightseers who for some reason or other , whether it be fuel economy reason , tug hasnt the grunt to do the speed or like previousely said just plain ole sightseeing as they go.
    I dont mind if they cant do the speed for said reasons but when they come up to an overtaking lane and do pull over for you and then plant the foot to make you jump the spped limit by yonks !!!! ! Well that does shyte me off to no end and it happens all the time not just sometimes!!... At least it does where im concerned..
    Dont happen with Vanners only either , Grannies , Grandads , and those that are out just to piss you off and get their rocks off by doing the above lol.
    In all honesty i think there may be a portion of Vanners out there that bought a Van and a Tug without prior homework or research about pulling power.
    Ive recently finished renovating a Van n possible plans for a new Van and havent towed it on a trip as yet till i got to upgrade my Tug so i dont end up doing to others on the road the same as what peeves me off.
    Anyway thats my rant n still wish em all safety on the roads even if they do raise my blood pressure lol.

One of the other guys in our team had the same situation. Told me about it today after my original post was put p.

He was towing a large cat behind his Patrol, and the usual twit towing the van was slowing every one down. So he timed his run to perfection and got the guy early in the overtaking lane, then pulled in front of him and backed off to 80kph. This let everyone else who was backed up behind get through. Nice work!

Apparemtly, our nob mate got agro and flashed his lights and waved his arms around and put fingers out his window, and generally had a stroke or two.

Then he tried to pull out to pass my friend, but that move was expected and was thwarted too. More nice work!!

Once they got to the end of the overtaking lane, my friend sped up to 100kph and our dipstick mate steadily fell behind, as was expected.

How do you rationalise that kind of bizarre behaviour? It does my head in!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

As a truck driver running mostly Bris - Syd, but also Bris - Cairns on occasion, I can feel your pain better than most. We have it particularly hard, as the trucks are limited to 100kph. I call it "The twin lane Turbo" when vans take off on the overtaking stretches. It happens to me EVERY DAY. I have learned over the years that there is not much to be done about it. Occasionally I get upset and tailgate the morons, or better yet, at night, adjust my lights high and stay in their mirrors etc, but at some point, all these imbeciles pull over or get out of the way. The other realisation I've come to, is you pass one, and there's a dozen more to contend with, so don't get too worked up!
    The really dangerous hwy trips are heading south to Sydney on a Monday after there has been a music festival on the Gold Coast or Byron etc on the weekend! Those trips, dealing with fatigued, drug and alcohol affected inexperienced drivers, are not pleasant....
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Just back from driving a slow old Motorhome in the US for 4 weeks, people there mostly didnt know what to do when i was moving over or off for them to go past, doesnt happen much apparently, ive seen ignorant people with plates from all states dont think it matters where they are from, i try to go a llttle slower and stay over as long as i can on overtaking lanes when towing, dont know if some of the above reactions are beneficial to what may be older less confident drivers who dont know they are being a pain in the butt, imop.

Quote Originally Posted by Floating Rib View Post
    Just bin theck from driving a slow old Motorhome in the US for 4 weeks, people there mostly didnt know what to do when i was moving oveis approaching or off for them to go past, doesnt happen much apparently, ive seen ignorant people with plates from all states dont think it matters where they are from, i try to go a llttle slower and stay over as long as i can on overtaking lanes when towing, dont know if some of the above reactions are beneficial to what may be older less confident drivers who dont know they are being a pain in the butt, imop.
    Mate I dont know either, especially speaking where the elderly are concerned ??, but having heard comments from variouse vanners who tow for economy hence around the 85-95 km speed.
    Others are holidaying and want to experience the scenery so that means for slower driving speed whilst others Tug/Tow vehicle buckles at the knees when a hill is approaching due to being a tad underpowered and cant afford a grunt machine , and thats fair enough but why n where do they find the urge or speed when they move over to the left lane to allow others to pass??.
    Maybe the fault is ours for wanting to get there faster ?? Insisting others are slow or is it safer to go the recomended speed and get wherever it is fresher n safer not tired from having the trip drag on ????...
    Be a good debate this one to hear opinions on both sides of the fence...
    But think the main complaint lies in the overtaking lane where they speed up..

As a sales rep I do about 70000 k's a year on the highway. I see this all the time but my personal pet peeve is the ten cars sitting right up their clacker and won't overtake. Ffs if you won't overtake then sit back 50m and let others have room to overtake
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    As a truck driver running mostly Bris - Syd, but also Bris - Cairns on occasion, I can feel your pain better than most. We have it particularly hard, as the trucks are limited to 100kph. I call it "The twin lane Turbo" when vans take off on the overtaking stretches. It happens to me EVERY DAY. I have learned over the years that there is not much to be done about it. Occasionally I get upset and tailgate the morons, or better yet, at night, adjust my lights high and stay in their mirrors etc, but at some point, all these imbeciles pull over or get out of the way. The other realisation I've come to, is you pass one, and there's a dozen more to contend with, so don't get too worked up!
    The really dangerous hwy trips are heading south to Sydney on a Monday after there has been a music festival on the Gold Coast or Byron etc on the weekend! Those trips, dealing with fatigued, drug and alcohol affected inexperienced drivers, are not pleasant....
    While I feel your pain, but I kind of think I wouldn't be admitting to this type of behavior, it's probably a lot worse than speeding up on the multi lane overtaking lane..... speeding up is not state specific, it happens all over in every state.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    While I feel your pain, but I kind of think I wouldn't be admitting to this type of behavior, it's probably a lot worse than speeding up on the multi lane overtaking lane..... speeding up is not state specific, it happens all over in every state.
    Just being honest mate, 20 odd years on the road without an at fault accident . Compared to my fellow drivers, I'm a frigging Saint!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon