Thread: Fuel leak

Fuel leak

Hey guys,

I have small leak coming out of a tiny crack in a brass nut connected to my fuel line. The nut is welded directly to a stainless pipe that goes into the tank and the crack is tiny and would be a nightmare to replace.

Does anyone know of a product that can be wrapped around the nut to stop the crack leaking? Or do you guys know anyone out there prepared to go down to the marina and fix the problem. As I said its a brass nut welded to a stainless pipe with a tiny crack leaking a hand full of fuel per trip.

Thank you.

Re: Fuel leak

Tried the pure soap flakes trick? Mix some into a paste and mould over the nut. Contact with petrol makes it set hard. Jack Absalom special for fixing jerry cans and fuel tanks. Will not work with diesel - apparently...
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Hey mate.

I used a product called knead-it many years ago to patch a hole in a diesel tank on a hilux ute.
    It was surprised to be a patch up until I got home. I sold the car 5 years later with the putty still patching the hole.

Might be be worth a look.

Rob.

petrol leak needs to be FIXED, not patched (except in emergencies) and fixing it is going to mean removing the tank probably.

The joys of brass fuel lines in a boat.
    The mongrels always crack like that.
    Brass braised onto stainless is never a good idea as it can cause electrolosis or corrosion issues.
    I would be looking at possibly cutting the fuel line off that nut and fitting a short length of flexible stainless or rubber fuel line.
    That will make it easier to unscrew the old nut off the tank and then allow for any movement in the line when the boat is banging around to stop any future cracking.

Your boat couldnt be more than a couple of years old Keith, I know who I would be ringing...

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneC View Post
    Your boat couldnt be more than a couple of years old Keith, I know who I would be ringing...

Mate Ive been out of the water for longer than in the water. If i wait for this to get rectified by Wayne I'll be out of the water for another extended period. I have only used my boat a few times this year due to ongoing issues that I have now resolved but its doing my head in. I can't wait any longer thats why I put it in the marina down here to work on it and sort all this stuff out myself.

I've been waiting for Wayne to slot me in over the last 6 mths to sort engine heights/pod heights. I can't afford to wait another six months to get a brass nut replaced so I put it up here. A short term fix is what I'm after and then i'll get him to fix it while he looks at my pods.

Loctite make a 2 part epoxy designed for petrol leaks , BSC at tingalpa are suppliers .
    NOW I,AM GUNNA EATCHA

Hey Keith,

I've used Loctite metal magic steel on a metal fuel tank and gearbox housing and worked both times. Tank was just a temp repair so don't know how long it would have lasted but gearbox housing all good.

Yeah fair call Keith. Im getting that way myself I must admit, sometimes its just easier to do it yourself and do it now. The bloke that would have made your tanks is down the coast, I can try and find his number if you like but dont know how good he can be to you without taking it out which is expensive, been there done it. Can you bypass it somehow?? Food for thought though, one cup of unleaded in a confined chamber will explode with the power of 10 sticks of gelignite if you somehow get a good ignition source...

I would give locktite magic metal a go mate...if you don't start using that boat soon mate I am come to get the keys and taking it for a run for ya....same goes for gibbo's...lol

Get some HUSSAR guts & wrap it around mate.

Problem solved!!

Beaker

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneC View Post
    Yeah fair call Keith. Im getting that way myself I must admit, sometimes its just easier to do it yourself and do it now. The bloke that would have made your tanks is down the coast, I can try and find his number if you like but dont know how good he can be to you without taking it out which is expensive, been there done it. Can you bypass it somehow?? Food for thought though, one cup of unleaded in a confined chamber will explode with the power of 10 sticks of gelignite if you somehow get a good ignition source...
    Yeah mate I am worried about the ignition part. I'll try the locktite first and see how it goes. It is only a tiny leak (a few drips really) but if the locktite doesn't work I'll just wait until Wayne can fit me in and get it sorted.