Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor won't start

Motor won't start

Motor was running well till the other day, started to get sluggish so tightened. Throttle cable and it came good 1hour in it shut down, I wriggled the components on the remote control and it started before shortly shutting down did this 3-4 more times and now won't turn over, I've got a video but don't know how to post it.. Need help ASAP

Cheers JB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Motor won't start

A few things first, does it turn over by hand? Did you put oil on it? Is it over heating?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    A few things first, does it turn over by hand? Did you put oil on it? Is it over heating?
    Plus, is there water in the petrol? Is the fuel filter clogged?
    Plenty of things to look for.

No not over heating and yes has oil fuel is fine only just filled the tank and installed a new filter 2 weeks ago

OK, so by not "turn over" do you mean you turn the key and get nothing?, not a click, not a whirring?

Normally wiggling electrical components doesn't give a definitive fix. If something is loose, and your description tells me it is, then it need to be tightened, not wiggled. A decent outboard mechanic will be able to fix it for you.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

When I try turning the key all I get is tick, try again tick, is there any springs inside the remote control? When I wiggled the safety switch on the remote control I was able to start it before shuttin down after 2-3 mins. Maybe that needs to be replaced? Yea looked at a mechanic .. Cost me $150 just for one to look at it hence why I'm tryin to do it myself lol

But you don't seem to be able to do it for yourself. That's a good time to pay somebody to do it for you. If you jag it and get it working, and it goes out again when you're out on the water what will you do then?
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Aha, you get a tick.... Remove and clean your battery terminals, even if they look good, is the battery definitely OK?, be sure, not just charged it or something, you need to know its good, or replace it to test.

Take it to a reputable mechanic. You cannot ring the RACQ on the water and even a tow from the coast guard will set you back 150 bucks and you will still have to pay someone to fix it when you get home,
    Cheers
    Ray

Do what Noelm says, even if they look good and feel tight!

Another long shot.
    At one time after replacing fuel lines my motor would run nicely at low revs, but cut out after a run at full throttle.
    Turned out to be a kink in the fuel line.
    enough fuel got past the kink for low speed, high speed drained the carbies.

[QUOTE=Stillnojew;1566961]When I try turning the key all I get is tick, try again tick, is there any springs inside the remote control? When I wiggled the safety switch on the remote control I was able to start it before shuttin down after 2-3 mins. Maybe that needs to be replaced? Yea looked at a mechanic .. Cost me $150 just for one to look at it hence why I'm tryin to do it myself lol

That sounds (tick tick) like the solenoid that applies full power to the starter. (mine played up once due to internal corrosion.)
    Try shorting the two terminals with the heavy cables attached, with a screwdriver or heavy gauge wire.

When my solenoid packed it in I bought a replacement.
    Out of curiosity I drilled through the two rivets holding it together and had a look inside.
    The low current side pulled a big copper washer into contact with the big lugs that take the power to the starter.
    All was covered in years of corrosion.
    Cleaned the washer and lugs to shiny metal again and pop rivetted it back together.
    Tried it out and it worked perfectly. Still does. (15 years??)
    The replacement new one is still on the shelf in the garage.