Thread: Advice on old Penn Senator

Advice on old Penn Senator

Hi guys, I dragged this old reel out of the shed today, a Penn Senator 2/0, and I have the original box and papers. Not sure what I'll do with it at this stage so it's not for sale. I was wondering if these are collectable and what this one might be worth. I think I bought it in the early 80's, and from Mosips at Annerley when they were in the old barber's shop building in side street (not the main road). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers

2014_0930220027.jpg2014_0930220031.jpg2014_0930220023.jpg

Re: Advice on old Penn Senator

I guess they are collectible, especially as you have the original box and so on, I kind of doubt it will be worth big money, but still "interesting" the black ones were the cheaper model, and the red ones were the better ones (from memory)

Weren't the black ones the lower (slower) gear?
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Poker View Post
    Weren't the black ones the lower (slower) gear?
    Yup. The Senators with the black sideplates ran as low as 2:1 ratios, whilst the red sideplates, (depending on the model) usually went as high as 3.8:1.

I'd check out ebay to get an idea of prices, Mike - but as they are reasonably plentiful, (particularly in the USA), they're not worth a heck of a lot. Possibly somewhere between $50 and $90. It all depends on whether what you have is a sought-after model.
    Cheers,
    Robfish.

mike, sorry about the delayed reply !
    you need to be super carefull with what you do with this old penn !
    I too, was given or found one 20 odd year ago, a red, 4/0 special, used it for all types of fishing, even managed a 25 kilo kingfish on her, albeit having to poor water over it half way thru the fight. and now, I have about 30 of the damn things ! their addictive ! there super easy to work on, you can even buy one piece frames, s/s pinions and gears, upgraded drag systems and once you trick one up, there as tough as anything going. ive now got ones just for show, un used and still with their boxes, and ive got 3-4 tricked up ones I fish with regularly, sure, there not modern ubute " pretty" reels that you can buy today, and I must point out, I do own other modern reels including 2 stella's, but I always carry them in the boat with me and they've all been christened with blue fin tuna, I just cant help myself LOL
    So throw it away Mike, if you don't, you will regret it..............

bonneville

Mate, just came across this post and unfortunately, based on the pics, the quality of the reel doesn't lend itself towards much of a price, if any. As an ex-collector (or is that accumulater) I can tell you I sold a high speed model, so red sides, in mint condition, with box & papers for $90 about 6 months ago and that was to a collector in the states. What you have is a good example of what happens when they hit salt water and it isn't washed properly.

Sorry

Just reading this again got me reminiscing, I used to use the old 4/0 red wide model for Kingfish jigging back in "the old days" mated to a Butterworth Jig King Deluxe rod, I would love to have that setup again, just for kicks, so, if anyone has got an old Jig King Deluxe in the back of the shed, let me know, the outfit was stolen during a break in about 20 years ago.