Thread: Ecooda rods & reels

Ecooda rods & reels

Hey Guys
    after 3 years off the water and selling all my gear (was like selling my soul),
    I have been looking around and found Ecooda, firstly who are they some say hooked up with Samaki?, secondly are they any good?.
    I am looking at either a black hawk Reel, seated to an optic or black hawk rod 2-4KG, mainly used for chasing flathead on plastics, and a bit of light live bait action.
    my old gear was TD Sol 2500 & Caldia 2506 reels, seated on TD Saltwater, Pfluger, Berkley drop shot & strudwick rods of various weights, I am not after tournament class gear just something good value under $200 for the combo.
    if anyone has either Ecooda gear as above I would love to hear your feedback, I don't expect Sol or Caldia performance from the reel I must admit.
    look forward to your insight on them,
    thanks Melony.
    O Where O Where Is Mr Mangrove Jack Living Today, Tony Has a Nice Lure Treat for You

Re: Ecooda rods & reels

Hi Melony. Can't help you with Ecooda rods, or the blackhawk reel, but I did recently acquire a Cortez 3000. It's a solid reel, a little bigger in bulk than a Symetre 3000, although has exactly the same capacity. I've spooled it with 10lb braid, and although it's a smooth enough reel, especially with the addition of some Quantum hot sauce lubes, I can't say I'm overly impressed with the line lay on the spool. Despite their claim of an s-slider for perfect line lay, (same as Blackhawks) it's pretty lumpy and bunched up. Certainly nowhere near as smooth as even a cheap Shimano. I guess if achieving great distances with light weights is not your thing, they appear to be well-constructed and should give a good level of service. In hindsight, if I had to choose again, I'd probably go with another Symetre, which is pretty much in the same price range as a Blackhawk, but far smoother. (I got the Cortez for $40, although most sell it for around twice that).

Re: Ecooda rods & reels

i have a couple ecooda reels,no problems with any of them.
    Ecooda are using earlier Daiwa tooling in making the reels,you could just say they are Daiwa reels under a different name