Thread: Big current out wide

Big current out wide

Looks like an awesome long weekend coming up but there's some awesome current out there off Moreton to match it at the moment. A mate fished the 42s overnight Sunday night and could just make bottom with 4 KILOS!!! of lead on the anchor! Went back out Monday and fished the inner ledges and found the same story. Picked up some snapper on the drift, but hard work.

Re: Big current out wide

Thanks drpete, its really good to post this sort of information because as far as i know there is no accurate way of predicting the current out wide unless you go all that way for a look.

Thanks again

I fished Barwon Banks on Monday and we were barely moving at 0.2kn

Quote Originally Posted by Zippidy View Post
    I fished Barwon Banks on Monday and we were barely moving at 0.2kn
    How did you go? Heading out Firday or Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by blairv70 View Post
    How did you go? Heading out Firday or Saturday

We were on a Charter. Did well - lots of Trag jew and a few Cobia got boated amongst some other mixed Reefies.

Yeah it's hard work getting out there and finding current that you can barely fish. But that's the game I suppose. I always thought some sort of current measuring instruments could be sunk at various depths and the data sent to the BOM site or something, like they do with wave measuring buoys. But it would probably cost and no-one wants to pay for infrastructure anymore. And the way current changes, it's hard to know from day to day. It was raging on the weekend, could have dropped to nothing by now. You just can't guess it. Gotta just go and hope I suppose.....

Last time I went off Moreton Canyons the N-S drift was 5-7kph - way fast - I then went 70km South and the drift was 1.5kph - go figure?

If this is right - it looks okay

http://oceancurrent.imos.org.au/Brisbane2/latest.html
    Cheers

Trev

Thanks for that link. I had no idea that website even existed! It seems really useful.
    I think one of the main problems with current is that it's 3D, You can't just measure the surface or the bottom and get an idea of what it's doing. You really need to measure the whoe water column from bottom to surface.
    I've dived many times in thirty metres around Moreton and had so much surface current I could barely pull myself down the anchor line, only to find it drop away to nothing ten metres down. And the other way round too. That's laminar current for you....

Pete, I agree and as for that graph some guys who regularly fish offshore say not to take too much notice of it as some people pick up the drift buoy and take it for a drive - but i reckon if it is showing long arrows for a week multiple arrows wide then the trend it set and it is fairdinkum - so it is useful if you use it properly and watch it for a lead up to a trip not just once the night before you go.
    Cheers

Trev