Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some problems Friday

Some problems Friday

Hit the water at 7am & once crossed the bar, put spot X in the Garmin & put it on autopilot.

I always have my hand on the throttle & don't worry about the wheel, just adjusting speed for waves etc.

Juna then says there is water pouring out of the battery box?? Chris has a look & finds a black plastic pipe within the battery box is pouring out water. He thinks it is meant to be connected to the live bait tank, but its come adrift, & the faster we go, the more water forced through it. He can't reconnect it, so jigs it up that is is now out of the battery box, & is just pouring onto the floor. He used a bucket to hold it in place & zip clipped it to the bucket so all good??

Boat was leaning a bit to port, due to wave direction, so I trimmed the port motor a bit to level up, which it did,but after a couple of minutes, a warning buzzer came on, & we couldn't work out where it a was coming from. 10 secs later it turned off?? Take off again, & this happened another 3 or 4 times. Stopped each time but still could not figure it out. All gauges were OK?? I then glanced down when it came on again & saw a red light on the dials for the port motor. Looked back at the motor, & a slight shudder?? Lifted motor to check all clear around prop. All good. Started perfectly so took off gingerly, watching carefully.

Happened 2 more times. Juna suggested dropping the trim back as it was a fair way up to counter lean. As soon as we did that, no problems. It was almost like the engine/prop was cavitating due to being tilted up a fair bit. Would that be the answer??

Take off & Juna says the water is not draining through the scuppers, so slowly filling the floor?? Its a bit stiff, so Chris gets the deck hose & puts the nozzle in the scupper, opening it up so the water drains. All good so off we go.

Wasn't watching the Garmin too much, as well, its on auto pilot, & I'm focused on oncoming waves.

After a while & I notice we are not following the track, but heading NE of our mark?? Manually tried over ruling the AP but no real effect. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to go where I wanted to. We were slowing doing a huge arc?? Chris couldn't work out what was going on, so woke Juna out of the bean bag & got her to look. Definitely going hay wire, so switched the Garmin & AP off, & did a reboot. Still going stupid.

Juna reminded me of the valve at the back of the boat you can release, & then manually adjust the motors, as they were running absolutely parallel, whereas by memory the mechanic told me they should tow in slightly?? Realigned them & closed the valve to lock in.

Juna reckons an improvement in handling, but still arcing off direction. Turn AP off & go back to manual, & at least getting closer. It was 80km to our mark, but with the huge arc, we did about 110km to get there.

Once fishing, we then got a message on the Garmin saying it had lost GPS connection?? For the next few hours, the screen was spinning wildly, from 22 degrees, to 354, to 176 etc within seconds??

Only once half way back to Noosa did it "regain" connection & make sense again.

Fairly frustrating all those things going wrong together.

Any thoughts guys,

Tony

Re: Some problems Friday

Ran over a China man...

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Face View Post
    Ran over a China man...
    You'd think I ran over the whole damn village!!

You trimmed the wrong motor or trimmed it up instead of down and went into 'over trim' causing an over heated Port motor?

Is this a test?

Bloody boats, they're a disease! Good luck sorting it out.
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    You trimmed the wrong motor or trimmed it up instead of down and went into 'over trim' causing an over heated Port motor?

Is this a test?
    I trimmed the port motor to see what effect it would have, & it definitely flattened the boat out. When you say "over trim" do you mean trimmed too high??

On the trim gauge, it was up about 1/3 of the way, which seems a bit compared to the starboard which was right down.

Are you saying it may not have drawn enough water, hence over heating?? Could make sense seeing once trimmed down, all good.

No test Fed, just an idiot who is ridiculously unmechanical.

Why do you think I take Juna fishing?? Not just to out fish me, but also fix my boat!!

Tony

I trimmed the port motor to see what effect it would have, & it definitely flattened the boat out. When you say "over trim" do you mean trimmed too high??
    Trimming the Port motor up would make the Starboard side rise, it may have felt flatter but could have also been trimmed to a point where it becoming ineffective. By 'over trim' I meant too high.

On the trim gauge, it was up about 1/3 of the way, which seems a bit compared to the starboard which was right down.
    Can't rely on the trim gauge unless you are VERY familiar with where the motor is in relation to the gauge, best to just look at the motor.

Are you saying it may not have drawn enough water, hence over heating?? Could make sense seeing once trimmed down, all good.
    Although still underwater when trimmed too high parts of the motor like the front of the AV plate & the gear housing can cause cavitation and disrupt the water flow to the intake vents.

I think the other water problems were unrelated.

GPS & Auto Pilot were probably also unrelated but I do remember giving my GPS a head spin when I set a mark in the opposite direction and the 'time to destination' came back as 'never'.

What motors do you have? I gather its a cat. Anyway sounds like it overheated for sure , What's the alarm for overheating?
    Gps lost the satellites also for whatever reason which confused the autopilot.
    And are you using a battery box for bait tank mate? lol
    John

For the Garmin issue, have a look at your heading sensor, it may need recalibration or be on the blink.

Regards
    Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by docaster View Post
    What motors do you have? I gather its a cat. Anyway sounds like it overheated for sure , What's the alarm for overheating?
    Gps lost the satellites also for whatever reason which confused the autopilot.
    And are you using a battery box for bait tank mate? lol
    John
    150 Hondas John on a 28ft Sailfish cat. The alarm was a warning buzzer, very loud.
    I think you are right about the GPS. If it lost its connection, the auto pilot couldn't work.
    Mate, there was more water coming out of the battery box than is usually in the live bait tank!!

Tony

Tony,

As Honda suggested sounds like your heading sensor has been disturbed. Where is it located?

Cavitation and slippage isn't easily detected. i agree you might of had the engine trimmed too high hence the overheat. Best to get the engines serviced and put on the diagnostics computer to be 100%

Or just piss the boat of and by another one.
    Last edited by bannana; 21-09-2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Bit harsh

Quote Originally Posted by bannana View Post
    Tony,

As Honda suggested sounds like your heading sensor has been disturbed. Where is it located?

Cavitation and slippage isn't easily detected. i agree you might of had the engine trimmed too high hence the overheat. Best to get the engines serviced and put on the diagnostics computer to be 100%

Or just piss the boat of and by another one.
    Keith, there is a litte round thing on the roof with Garmin written on it,(no, not the radar you knob) would that be it.

I'll get the mechanic to drop by this week & have a good look. Junas not keen to go wide until checked out.

Dont say buy another one, you know what Junas like!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Keith, there is a litte round thing on the roof with Garmin written on it,(no, not the radar you knob) would that be it.

I'll get the mechanic to drop by this week & have a good look. Junas not keen to go wide until checked out.

Dont say buy another one, you know what Junas like!! LOL

No you idiot the round thing on the roof is your GPS antenna. I'm fairly sure you need a heading sensor for your autopilot. I was just wondering if it was in your battery box and possibly got hit or moved when you had the hose come free. Easy fix if this is the case.

Buy a tinny so we can see Juna tow it to the ramp in the Maserati. That would be an image I would pay to see.

Quote Originally Posted by bannana View Post
    No you idiot the round thing on the roof is your GPS antenna. I'm fairly sure you need a heading sensor for your autopilot. I was just wondering if it was in your battery box and possibly got hit or moved when you had the hose come free. Easy fix if this is the case.

Buy a tinny so we can see Juna tow it to the ramp in the Maserati. That would be an image I would pay to see.
    Mate, you know I am just a dumb arse nurseryman & mechanics aren't my thing.

I just know Hookinin is lurking in the back ground here chuckling to himself!!

Tony I think the Sailfish didn't want to travel 80klms to catch Hussar again & it has developed a mind of its own & was just fighting against the auto pilot to steer to a different spot causing a big ARC..Thank Christ Juna was on board to keep the crew from a panic attack & add a few good parrot & squire to your box..