Thread: Help with N2K connection

Help with N2K connection

Hi guys,

Please help, I have read both manuals and spent too much time on google at work and can't find a clear diagram to connect by HDS5 and my new NSS7 by N2K. I was told that it could be done as they are both navico units.

I just want to be able to share GPS marks and use the same transducer (50/200 generic).

I have bought a starter kit for the HDS units from BCF. Below is what I can come up with. Is this crude diagram correct?

Thanks
    Scott
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Help with N2K connection

Hi Scott,
    power needs to come in via it's own T-connector in the same way as you have connected the sounders. Where you have got the power coming in should be a terminator.
    Dave
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

Thanks Dave

Not sure the NMEA will do that for you as the NMEA system talks in a particular language i.e broadcasts in sentances for other devices to gather info from

You may need to network the devices through the networking ports to share that sort of data
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

To get them sharing yransducers you will need to connect them via ethernet. 1 x Yellow cable between the 2 units. Yellow port on the bsck of each.

sharing waypoints- you'll need NMEA2000. Starter kit will almost get you there, but you will need 1 extra T piece because you have 2 devices to connect to the network, plus 1 T for the power connection.

so both forms of networking will be required to achieve what you are after.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Hi Scott,
    I have almost the same configuration (hds 5 gen 2 and nss7) and my understanding is that marks can be shared by n2k however transducer data can only be shared by ethernet. Just need an lowrance ethernet cable to connect both together. I have both n2k to share gps data and engine data as well as ethernet to share transducer and map data. In this configuration I can have sonar on any screen (sonar connected to nss) and map displayed in any screen (with map loaded on hds5). very handy.

regards,

Paul

Awesome thanks guys, cleared it up nicely. N2K and ethernet it is...

Cheers