Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Build Thread - Moda Custom Boats 7800 Bridge Deck

Build Thread - Moda Custom Boats 7800 Bridge Deck

Hi all,

After a long (years) search I have found a custom builder that can accommodate my many and varied requirements in a boat capable of tournament game fishing, blue water fly fishing and family boating all while being trailerable (just).

Shane at Moda Custom Boats has been very accommodating of my design suggestions and I think we are on our way to creating a very special boat.

I flew to Gladstone to see Shane's last hull "Black Diamond" and came away pretty excited at the prospect of my design requirements married to the Moda hull coming up to that standard.

This is a big build but I will update with photos throughout the build and launch.

Cheers,

Brad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Build Thread - Moda Custom Boats 7800 Bridge Deck

Looks great!

Cheers

jim

You are building my dream boat there! I would go with Moda or origin too. What's the plan re power plant (s)?
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Construction is underway.

Power will be a 300 Suzuki APX

More shots - inside framing and bottom sheets on etc

Awesome. What's the towing weight when fit out completed and your tow vehicle?????

Dave

Dave,

Should be about 3.4 Tonnes.

Will be fine behind the 200 Series.

You have chosen a great builder there banana.

Good luck with your build. Good to see one being built in the proper manner.
    no doubt the 200 series will handle the job power wise but just watch the GVM, the Landcruisers don't have much leeway when loaded up near max towing and full of the usual goods and chattel inside the car.

Thanks Greg,

Good point.

The 3.4 Tonnes figure will be when the boat is fully fuelled (450 litres) and water (120 Litres). I can manage the weight around those two items but it will be a very big rig and the task of towing it wont be taken lightly.

Cheers,

Brad.

A centre steering bridgedeck, nice. They are the best of both worlds. Reminiscent of a luhrs.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Build Thread - Moda Custom Boats 7800 Bridge Deck

Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    ...The 3.4 Tonnes figure will be when the boat is fully fuelled (450 litres) and water (120 Litres)...
    Looks like she will be very nice indeed Brad! I want one .

Is that 7.8m incl bow sprit and boarding platform etc, or without? If the latter it will be very interesting if you can keep it under 3.4t!

-350 (450 L fuel)
    -120 (water)
    -650 (?? Trailer)
    =2280kg on the water 'dry'

Not a lot for a bridge deck hard top that size! If it does come in under 3.4 there would be a lot of people very interested, maybe even me.... If I can sell the kids and ever go back to the dark side (tin)
    Cheers
    Brendon

Brendon,

You are pretty close there I think.

Moda are building a custom trailer for the boat as well which will assist greatly with the overall towing weight.

The builder is also doing some very smart things to save weight where you need it least in the boat - the hard top will actually be core cell fibreglass - extremely strong but extremely light.

There some other design elements that will show up through the build that will be worth a look in this regard also.

Cheers.

Brad

Sounds pretty schmick Brad. I have heard very good things about Moda, I will enjoy the progress reports.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Hull Sides are on.

You can get an idea of the final bow shape with the top sheet under the boat.