Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Load rated shackle fines

Load rated shackle fines

G'day all,

Just hearing around the traps and having seen what went on near my place at Scarby on the weekend, I was just wondering if anyone actually got done by the Police for not having a load rated shackle???? Reason I ask is I was at the DOT this morning and for the first time ever it was empty so I asked the question and demanded an answer as it affects me as well.

Im not going to go too far into it, but I know some people got zapped for unrated shackles and was wondering if any were on here. Im all for road safety but rules are rules and it goes both ways. If you got hit let me know by PM I have some interesting info for you.

Re: Load rated shackle fines

I think everyone found out a couple of weeks ago that it was a sham. DOT denied it, as there have been no changes to the existing laws. There was also nobody who came forward who was booked. Just another internet beat up.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Cool no worries. The cops did a blitz on local boat ramps over the weekend and apparently blokes got fined for it. Im just asking mate. It would not be unheard of that fines were issued without knowing all the facts... thats never happened!!

Yes there was even a statement put out by the cop that no rules had changed and it was just scaremongering...probable by the shackle company to up sales for the month...

So what size should a shackle be ?. I looked the other day and a 1300kg was the size of a doughnut. So if you have a two tonne boat your going to need a FB shackle

Oh well my bad then..... maybe I should have searched before posting a question.... I will remember next t ime

Quote Originally Posted by rocklobster View Post
    So what size should a shackle be ?. I looked the other day and a 1300kg was the size of a doughnut. So if you have a two tonne boat your going to need a FB shackle
    A 2tonne rated bow shackle is not very big at all. I would think you were looking at a mild steel one if it was that big.

working load limit on a 10mm shackle is around 1000kgs depending on quality...so the breaking load limit is around 6000kgs .... 3 times what you need for a 2000kg boat

Coincidently this topic was discussed on radio today (4GR) and they suspected a little scaremongering happening. It was quoted that the rules clearly state that using "rated" shackles is still (as it always has been in QLD) a recommendation not a requirement therefore absolutely no-one has or can be booked for not using rated shackles..

I had a bit of time to kill yesterday so I dropped into a couple of towbar places and none of them had heard of anyone being booked. They pointed out that haymen reese are still sold with unrated shackles. They all pointed out that the chain isn't load rated so what is the point of load rated shackle. Anyway ended up buying two 2t load rated shackles for the van as i needed some new ones anyway. Guess what they didn't fit through the hole on the tow bar. Ended up by two hammerlock 2t rated shackles to put the 2t d shackles on. Next thing I know I am stung for $60. Gees that added up quickly.
    Now i have two bright yellow hammerlock shackles permanently attached to the hitch and the 2t rated shackles live in the glove box when not in use. Probably for no point but I will feel better when toying the 45k van or 45k boat

2T working or breaking, I guess you can now tow an 8T caravan.

I saw on another thread that Gold Coast Trailers/Oceanic do have load rated chain on the trailer. You just cant see the imprint on the chain after its been gal dipped. I suspect most other reputable trailers are similar.
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    2T working or breaking, I guess you can now tow an 8T caravan.
    Usually if things go pear shaped you will not end up with a nice even 2tonne pull though. You will get a shock load which could be significant. I would rather have a bit extra up my sleeve especially if I was towing a 60-100k boat and trailer package. Being in the rigging game for 25yrs I have seen some crazy stuff happen.

Rigging for 25 years, maybe I misread the other thread.
    My take was 2T working is 12T breaking, enough to tow 8T?