Thread: Mexican heading north!

Mexican heading north!

Hi all...preparing for my annual Gold Coast trip in October, arriving on the 25th for 2 weeks, and although we've discussed this topic last year, I'd be interested in some new options. As a travelling fisho, it's all going to be released, anyway. I'll be taking 2, 4 and 6 kg spin outfits for variety and flexibility.

I'll be landbased, and keen to try some new areas, as I've fished Tallebudgera and Currumbin Creeks in the past with little success, (they look so damn fishy!), tried the gates at Bond Uni, without success - (no sign of Herring), so all was quiet there, too. The only fish I've seen so far were some longtoms in Tally, who laughed at me before swimming away! And some breamlets in Currumbin.

I'm not looking for honey holes, just more general info, so here goes.

1. Although plagued with boating traffic, is is worth fishing the broadwater from the seaway back down the spit - from the shore?
    2. What about local beaches? Googling the area, it all appears pretty shallow - as do most rock platforms.
    3. Also tried behind the G.C.Council offices - to no avail. Maybe the time of year, August, was wrong.
    4. Checked out the drain from the lake under 19th Avenue at Palm Beach several times last trip, but no joy there, either.
    5. Finally, is it worth hiring a tinnie around the broadwater - or am I just asking for a swamping? Or would a calmwater charter be a better option?

As a keen lure fisho, I'd LOVE to tangle with some small GT's, or even some flatties and bream - but as the situation is so different from down here in Mexico, my usual knowledge doesn't seem to pay off. I did see some decent bream caught from a bridge on Tallebudgera creek, but they were on bait - so at least that's a fallback option.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated, guys.

Re: Mexican heading north!

One massive tip mate.. Fish at night, your turning up at a great time of the year. Use live bait or smallish poppers. All the spots you have mentioned are quite good.. You should be able to get a few gts at bond uni.. thats actually a spot that will fish well in the day, best time is when the gates are flowing into lake orr.. skip some little metals across the surface will work well (10g halcos)

Thanks, lbger - you were of assistance last year, but I guess that everywhere has its seasons, and I reckon August was in the off season last year - so I'm looking forwards to this trip. Lots less hangers-on this trip, so I'll have more flexibility. I'm definitely gonna hit those gates again, and we'll see what happens this time around. Different gear this time, too! Don't think I'll be using the 2kg too much around there.

Hey Robfish

The bream around the pontoons get very well fed on bread and other left over food so they tend to be really picky and they seem to communicate well to their brethren if they get released.

That seems to be the case around here anyway.

What works for me is a small trout hook (left over from Toolondo) with a fly or other insect out of the midge trap dangled close to the pontoon on very light line (whatever scrap comes to hand actually) with a slit shot a few inches above the hook.

The new neighbour casts well into the canal and has trouble seeing too many fish on his line but he also lacks a pontoon!

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Thanks Chimo...I can imagine that the bream, so close to civilisation, are very fat and lazy from all the scraps in the water, and the idea of a smallish bait would certainly work - I reckon fish are like us. We may not want a roast potato with all the trimmings, but we'll happily wolf down a hot chip or two! Those bream may be reluctant to chase down a minnow or crab, but they'll chow down on a scrap or two. Looks like it could be an interesting time of year, so I may have quite a few options. Bream down here are less fastidious, as we don't have so many areas where they can obtain such a plentiful supply of food, and actually have to chase it.
    This trip, without the billy lids, will allow me more time, so I'll be putting in a few hours after dark - so we'll see.
    Gotta love those people who cast into the deeps for bream - I've caught my best down here in less than 3ft of water.

August is really tough in the creeks and canals, I actually don't bother from about mid july till half sept or so. Im pretty much only chasing Jacks and Giant herring though. Shoot me a message when your up mate its not hard to convince me to go for a fish lol
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Thanks mate...got your PM, and sent one back. Hope we can get together when I'm up there.