Thread: Giant herring

Giant herring

Had the grand kids overnight this weekend so an early start for a fish was not on, but with a 4pm low tide we headed up to Toorbul in the pumicestone passage after lunch to fish the dropping tide, wind was a real pain and made fishing hard, I really need to stop being a cheap skate and buy a electric motor as its important to stay close to the edges and cast into water where it drops off from sand banks, got a real surprise with a nice 70+ cm giant herring, took over 5 minutes to land on 3kg line, big burning runs and lots of fun, the flathead were mostly good quality with the biggest near 60 cm, my wife doesn't mind a snooze either when we are out in the sun which is all good as we have a 2$ scratchy on the biggest fish and I nearly always win.
    I regard winter as flathead season and this has been the best I have had with the quality and quantity with some really good fish out there, yesterday was hard to fish when the breeze got up but the fish were there..
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hc aug.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	104645   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hc aug2.jpg 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	104646   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hcaug3.jpg 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	104647   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hcaug4.jpg 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	104648   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hcaug5.jpg 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	104649  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hcaug7.jpg 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	104650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hcaug6.jpg 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	104651  

Re: Giant herring

nice one mate , the flatties sure have been on fire. Not many small fish around.
    I too have been fishing a long time without a leccy, first trip out today with it on, and love it. cant believe ive gone so long without it.
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Yep those giant herring certainly put up a good accout for themselves, well done on 6lb line.
    Regards
    Beastmaster
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

Very cool surprise the Giant Herring, they go like the clapper and the best value outa them is light line..bet you didnt know what it was for a bit (unless it jumped which they do sometimes) My fav sportfish for sure and when they get over a meter (only landed one) they are just awesome..

Well done mate
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Nice one Mate (y)