Thread: Lizards and Weed

Lizards and Weed

Went for a run up to Meldale in the Pumicestone Passage this morning. Started trolling downstream from the ramp to the mouth of Elimbah Creek. As soon as I got alongside the first mangrove bank, I realised that trolling was going to be tough due to all the red snot weed hanging from every branch in the water.

By the time I got down to the mouth, I was sick and tired of winding in lures covered in weed, clearing them and putting them back in the water, only to have to wind them in again less than a minute later. I was quite surprised when one lure received a hit, and I wound in this 30cm flathead, tagged it and sent it back.

I trolled down along the bank heading towards Toorbul, but the weed was just as thick there. I did notice a couple of sand puffs from flathead taking off as I trolled past one of the small gutters. I put the nose of the boat on the sand and picked up the rod with the 4" Zman Curly Tailz set up and over the next hour, managed 4 more flathead ranging from a tiddler of 25cms up to one decent fish of 51cms.

By the time the tide had started to run in, I had enough, and headed back to the ramp. So for anyone thinking of heading up that way over the weekend, the fish are there, but I hope you like removing clumps of weed from your lines.

Cheers

Jeff

Re: Lizards and Weed

Cheers mate,

the weed started 2 weeks ago. a bunch of headed up to Donnybrook for 3 small lizards. Wind and snot weed will beat the most keen fisherman!

Just quietly some cracking whiting being caught in D'Brook/Toorbul area on fresh yabbies....and I mean big whiting.

Bermo

Blog Entries

Good onya for giving it a shot mate

Alot of weed up the northern end of the passage this year too.

Well done , yes that snot weed is testing stuff and puts the mockers on trolling.

A least you got a few,

Regards
    Beastmaster
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

Lots of snot weed down Russell and Macleay way last week. Managed a few at top of tide when there was less run to catch the weed.

I am thinking of heading with the missus to Bribie for a bit of a fish this Wednesday in a boat. How bad is the weed down near the bridge at the moment? We tend to fish from the bridge up to white patch. Also any good advice on spots or marks would be greatly appreciated. Keep on getting told to go to the ripples but never had any luck there.

Would love to spend some time to work out some spots of my own but looks like this is the last boating trip for a while with a little one on the way in a few months

Went for another run this morning. This time, the Caboolture River was the chosen spot. No weed, so trolling was easy if you discounted the wind and the occasional scud of rain. Put tags in another 3 flathead, with this one being the stand out fish for the morning.

Cheers

Jeff

I fished between Toorbul and donnybrook for 3 flathead yesterday, casting plastics the weed was not a problem unless you cast too close the banks, wind was a bugger though.