Thread: Best Transducer for 50 - 120m depths - for Lowrance Gen 2

Best Transducer for 50 - 120m depths - for Lowrance Gen 2

I have been venturing a little wider and deeper lately, and my 83/200 HST-WSBL isn't doing the job.

I have been doing some research but I am after some experienced back up.

It sounds like chirp is the way to go, which means $599 for a sonar hub, and then either $235 for a HDI Skimmer 50/200 + 455/800, or $469 for a HDI through hull 50/200 + 455/800.

Or can anyone recommend another brand of transducer for these depths that is compatible with Lowrance?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Re: Best Transducer for 50 - 120m depths - for Lowrance Gen 2

just buy a tm260 tranny. 1kw. fry em

do you want to stick to a transom mount transducer?

No I am keen to go through hull, I want optimum performance. I have already spent a heap of money on electronics, prepared to spend more to get quality readings. I love everything about the HDS Gen 2 touch for inshore, but also want optimum readings in the depths.

Scorp, I will look into more info on the tm260.

Thanks,

Matt

ok so CHIRP. there needs to be a few points covered when it comes to the sonic hub and lowrances chirp

so the SONAR hub adds to the broadband package CHIRP abilities.. this can work in 2 ways.. run an existing transducer through it to make it perform better.. OR run a CHIRP transducer to make it REALLLLY better

its like this
    adding a sonar hub with a standard transducer is a bit like adding a turbo charger to a car that wasnt designed to have a turbo.. it will make more power.. but not run as good as it can

adding a sonar hub with a CHIRP transducer is like adding a turbo charger "and nitrous" to a car deisgned to take the extra power... it will work BRILLIANTLY.

so..... off the bad. im going to tell you that HDI transducer is rubbish and not to waste your time

you could add a 50/200 throughhull a b60 transducer ... to get better performance than your standard hstwsbl transducer .. a 600w "more power isnt ALWAYS good" wider beam unit.

you COULD add a sonar hub to that transducer to make it even better

OR you could put a CHIRP transducer on "using the sonar hub as well" say a B75 to get the best.. a set up like that $699 sonar hub +$750-$850 depending on frequency
    so a fair bit of coin but it would be the bees knees.

otherwise bump down to regular frequency transducers, that will still work better than what you have and save you some coin

Moose

i should mention why i said the HDI transducer is rubbish. not just ramblings
    so the HDI takes an existing element "83/200 or 50/200" and adds a "SINGLE" down imaging element.. hense "hybrid DUAL imaging .H..D..I"

Whilst the standard broadband element works fine for fishfinding. its the down imaging "455/500" that lets the team down.. see with the LSS "structure scan" transducer.. that long one you may have seen.. it runs DUAL elements for everything. 2 facing down.. and 2 facing each side. in effect.. its STEREO... where as the HDI is MONO ...so the picture you see on the down imaging and side imaging from the LSS2 is far crisper and nice where as the HDI is grainy and rubbish. with a HDS7 touch all you need to do is add the lss 2 transducer to ger the best.. it worth the extra few bucks

MOOSE

Thanks for all that Moose! I have the LSS2 transducer too, so in the creeks and bay I run the 83/200 and the LSS2 side by side in split screens. 83/200 for telling the overall story, and Broadband for the finer details. I have found the LSS2 broadband only good to about 20 metres on side scan and 30 on down scan.

But for the deep water,I am keen to go Chirp with the Sonar Hub, and suitable transducer, I will checkout the details on the B75 you mention. I thought the HDI Transducers were chirp?

cheers,

Matt