Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: No courtesy offshore

Re: No courtesy offshore

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    And then yesterday I had a brand new black 685 Cruise Craft with a Verado called "Reel Crusty" do a 270 degree circle around me. If it was his mark, maybe you would do 90-180degrees around me setting yourself up to anchor or drift but 270 degrees, that had to be pinging!
    Maybe he shoulda named the boat Crusty Old Bastard, I hate it though when you have spent time setting a berley trail and although they might be on their way to "their spot", and they decide to motor right over where you are fishing, I always move away and go well in front of the vessel. Kept an eye out for you on Friday but probably fishing a bit further south, not many boats around on Friday with that easterly slop.

unfortunately lots of stupid ignorant people fish, same as other aspects in life, im guessing these days lots of anglers have the same marks but that doesnt excuse someone sitting on top of you if you were there first, lost count of how many times ive had boats anchor in my drift line in the bay, quite often i just up and go when someone homes in on me, dont need the stress. Good post though but sadly preaching to the converted, is there an "IdiotsFish" website we can post this to .

I guess you have to expect people fishing close to you nowdays inside the bay at least. I had a bloke go nuts at me a while a go at harrys for drifting just within 50m of him at anchor over the structure. I considered this ample room for harrys but obviously he disagreed when he eventually up anchored and screamed past me at full noise 3meteres off my transom throwing wash into the back of my tinny. What a F&^%$#t. Ben

My pet hate subject this one!! I've fished a bit more than some and in different places around the globe. Left Oz for 9yrs and came back in 2009 to find no fishing etiquette in existence!!!! What the hell happened????. When I fished the US, people at times were far less "democratic" when it came to deal with such A-holes and they were a distinct minority. I can't, most ashamedly say that here. 1 reason I believe is far too many people simply have ZERO respect for their fellow fishers and for that matter themselves. This dog eat dog and F-u charlie attitude that so many want to portray today is a classic example that has spilled out onto the water (and roads). Yeah in the old days, we'd cast a good heavy lead in their direction but I can only remember doing it once or twice in 30 odd yrs. Now another decade or so on it seems just because you have a rod in the water, that's a target for some knuckle-headed-blisters-on-palm twit to come camp on yr "door step" and see if you are getting any fish!

u all do know, that this tread is only cause we have a lot more (some with no XP) fisher people on the water. It will only get better thru these threads so new fishers understand what line they may have crossed, and fix it....some just dont know and do it again, some dont give a ^$^*. same on the roads, camping spots, shopping malls, car parks...foot paths...bikes...u get the idea

Its a changing world, my solution.. i now fish mostly where no one else will go
    Cheers,
    Chong
    Cheers,
    Chong

Worst case I had was when I was about 15 fishing a tree that had fallen in the noosa river and pulling a few nice brim out of it. 12 year old kid that had been watching us in his tinny ups anchor from 20m away reverses straight over where I was casting and ties off on the top of the tree. So I continued to cast in the same spot and by that point I didn't care I wasn't getting anything and after a few hits to the side of hid tinny and a few words he pissed off. This was just a case of someone being an ####### and I can only hope he either messed with the wrong person down the track or pulled his head in. I luckily haven't had many bad experiences with other boaties in fact I find the majority are friendly and always willing to lend a hand but this one still takes the cake almost a decade on.

I like this little analogy

amXweLX_700b_v1.jpg

more boats with less fish

unfortunately there are only so many productive reefs or areas of structure close enough in for the adverse boaty to be comfortable and happy to fish. Theres a lot more boats out there on these spots and each boat would like at least 50-100m of space. these days that just aint gunna happen. The choices I've found are either go further afield or somewhere less well known or alternatively ditch the drift and just go bottom bashing on the weekend.

Hi All
    Agree with all but I find it amusing
    I run my own boat as correctly and courteously as I can but we all slip now and again in the frenzy..
    However
    I have a few mates that will ride over peoples lines turn into there drift line, cut other boats off don't give wide enough berths etc etc and claim that it is not there sea and not there spot, the sea is for everyone when I correct them
    However when someone comes close to them or does what they do they are utterly gutted and completely dumbfounded, like WTF
    I crack up laughing and shake my head!! but its not funny.
    When they are on my boat its my rules and courteously comes first.

And I have had many many shouts out to other boats
    Once is a mistake twice is stupidity 3rd time is arrogance, and time for a bit of abuse

My pet hate is when we are fishing and divers arrive on a reef " say Hutchinsons or 9 mile" and they drop off spearos among the boats, you are screwed as they now effectively own the space within 50 metres and you cannot move back onto the drift line or troll line..

Just my little 10 cents
    Cheers Mark

This Sh*** me beyond belief.. I had a bloke pull up in front of me and dropped anchor.. he was probably 20m ahead. I wasnt too dirty on that, lot of water to fish but maybe hes trying to find somewhere new.. But as i pull in an undersize sweetlip he decides to let out anchor rope and drift within jumping distance of my bow. Needless to say a few harsh words where passed, yet this clown felt he had done nothing wrong and persisted to argue the fact. if it wasnt for the missus being on board its safe to say i would have drowned that little weed.

Makes weekday fishing so much better.

I thought it was quite legal to fish for spearos so long as you didn't gaff them, catch & release only.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsrule View Post
    Thanks for thand sham replies fellas. A mate of mine suggested to name and shame these guys by taking a photo of them and their boat and posting it up on all the popular forums. That might deter them from doing what they do and start showing some respect. I might do just that too

Why not start a facebook page naming and shaming? If you guys think its annoying and a bit hairy at times, spare a thought for kayakers

Name and shame who??? Everyone would be on it...everyone!!

Whats next everyone needs to remove thier radar so they don't steel other peoples spots.

A busy day of Moreton we cannot drive a straight line to our destination because we have to zigzag through boats leaving a 300mtr clearance zone around every boat.

One blokes anchored up at the bait grounds fishing for wahoo and no ones allowed to go near him or collect bait.

Far enough if someone follows you then thats over the score but if someone comes near you then just move on or do the drift again...who really cares. i won't loose sleep when guys come along side me unless I'm anchored and they drive up and sound around me for extended periods spooky the fish i have set up for but even then what can you do. it such a fine line its not worth bothering about.

Well said Keith,I had a bloke off the cape that was that far north i could just make out his boat.
    Next minute he comes flying back from obviously finishing his drift which i wasn't aware of and gives us death stares and causes world war 3 on this forum over it.
    It was a piss ant wreck,i had the marks for and moved off when we discovered he was drifting it,still caused a hassle over it.
    What do you do?