Thread: Lowrance HDS10 power issues

Lowrance HDS10 power issues

Hi,

It isn't the touch screen - about a 5yo model.

I go on outings and the thing just loses power and reboots - it is getting worse.

First up I thought earthing issue and refitted it more secure - no change.

Then I thought power lead - replaced with new one - no change.

The unit does cut out more often on a bump but now it doesn't need that so much.

Each time I lose power it goes through the start-up and accept and then looking for satellite fix etc - which is not welcome when travelling in total dark or mapping a route through a bar and it blots out midway.

At night time if I dim the screen to 5 out of 10 the screen after a little while keeps dimming till barely visible so I switch brightness up to 10 then the unit slowly increases to proper 10 brightness which is too bright for night time so I dim it to 5 or 6 and away it goes again after a while to total dark and we repeat this cycle - crazy and frustrating.

At night time I notice the screen has a light flicker to it - does that mean unreliable power supply?

I think it will have to go in for a service.

I am North Brissy - bought the unit from Bias at Virginia - should I take it there?

Thanks for any constructive help.

Is this something Grand Marlin does?
    Cheers

Trev

Re: Lowrance HDS10 power issues

You have fixed and then replaced the power wires so there is a good chance it is the unit itself.
    Check any inline fuses to see if there is movement in the fuse case or a loose/bad connection there.
    Hopefully it is still in warranty otherwise they are a throw away job.

At 5 year old Navico won't want to know. You could try someone like Trymax Marine at Capalaba. First up though is check/replace all connections in the power supply including fuse holders, switches etc. Have a bit of a poke around in the wiring with the unit on and see if it turns off when you start moving wires etc around

I think you are right Scottar.

When I have the unit to a battery for tinkering in the house it works just fine there direct wired to a small 12V battery through an inline fuse.

I am going to run a dedicated line to the battery at back of boat to it.

I would not be surprised if the Marine that did the original fit-out did something ordinary at the buzzbar in the dash based on all the other things they did bodgy with the new setup just on 4 years ago.

I will also go about putting another fuse and holder into that line anyway as I think that one should be changed to something new - so I agree with you there Aussie123.

I have already done a new line to the buzzbar from batteries as the original was a smallish plain copper wire now a bigger tinned wire.
    Cheers

Trev

Ausfish Bronze Member Stressless's Avatar

Same issue with my old Gen1 unit while in Karumba in April.

When I got home wanted to save some tracks, but it wouldn't start up. So if you can start it, save your files now.

Sent off to supplier and have opted for an upgrade Gen2 unit at about half the cost of a new unit.

I was hoping the "Gen3" would have been released before the Gen1 died

Hi Trev

Once you have sorted out the wiring issue, (and I agree that it sounds like that, especially since it works reliably on the bench from a battery) it would be well worth doing at least a "soft reset". This basically re-boots the unit's software.

Because of the apparent electrical fault, the unit losing power and shutting down means that the software hasnt been shutting down properly. Its a bit like a PC shutting down by pulling the plug put of the wall - they dont like it and it can cause issues with windows!.

In your case, the issue of light dimming could be a software issue caused by that. A soft reset forces the software to reset itself properly and can sort that kind of thing out. Although, the othe thing that I have found over many years is that the Lowrance units do like to get good, clean power supply and can do really weird things when they don't.

Even though it is usually safe, it is best to save waypoints and settings onto a SD card before doing the soft reset.

procedure for a soft reset is as follows:

1. Turn unit OFF
    2. Press and hold the PAGES key
    3. Press and Release the PWR key
    4. Release all buttons when the USA map appears

Cheers
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks Moonlighter - will do!

Stressless how old was your Gen 1 when you did the upgrade - appears mine is just coming up to 4 years - not the 5yo I thought - but probably too old anyway.

Either way I hope it is just needing good power - that will be my focus and to reset it all once backed-up.

Thanks guys for tips.
    Cheers

Trev

Some of these and the earlier models have issues with Power button sticking on the head unit
    hence the on/off whilst underway and ok on the bench.
    I hope for your sake it is a wiring issue as the repair is not worth it !
    regards frank

Trev - if all else fails contact Lowrance Customer support, this is from their website.

In my experience it is better to go direct to Lowrance rather than via the retailer - cuts out one unnecessary, no value-add step in the process.

To contact Australia Technical Customer Service, call 1300 628 426

In the unlikely event your product fails, the 5-Year Advantage supports you for a full five years from the date of purchase. The program features a unique Trade-Up option, where you can upgrade to current technology products at a discounted price. Proof of purchase is required.

Consumers must contact Customer Technical Service for an RMA.
    If a product tests faulty:
    The consumer can contact Technical Support or their dealer for replacement and upgrade options. Pricing varies depending on whether the faulty unit is in or out of warranty.
    If a product does not test faulty:
    Consumer will need to pay for the bench test and the product will be returned.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by John Buoy View Post
    Some of these and the earlier models have issues with Power button sticking on the head unit
    hence the on/off whilst underway and ok on the bench.
    I hope for your sake it is a wiring issue as the repair is not worth it !
    regards frank
    The power button sticking problem was with the pre-HDS series units. Ask me how I know

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    The power button sticking problem was with the pre-HDS series units. Ask me how I know
    I know of a few HDS models that have had the same issue.

We used to mod a few of the earlier ones with this fault to keep them going because as with everything Navico parts were non existent. The other thing that can cause funny issues is a chart card that is faulty but that usually presents at start up.

Ausfish Bronze Member Stressless's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    Thanks Moonlighter - will do!

Stressless how old was your Gen 1 when you did the upgrade - appears mine is just coming up to 4 years - not the 5yo I thought - but probably too old anyway.

Either way I hope it is just needing good power - that will be my focus and to reset it all once backed-up.

Thanks guys for tips.
    Purchased October 2010

Just as a follow up.

I backed up the marks etc and did a soft reboot.

I installed a dedicated power line 6mm from battery to sounder with inline fuse.

I tested the sounder yesterday with an offshore outing from 3am till 8.30pm running non-stop and the unit worked faultlessly.

The good stable supply of electricity did the job. The screen was clear and never looked dodgy at anytime.

Thanks for your advice guys.
    Cheers

Trev

So now you have to find out why the previous connection point was dropping power when you hit a bump. It will only deteriorate and the next bump could take out something vital like your 2 way or bilge pump.