Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WARNING Yamaha Corrosion

WARNING Yamaha Corrosion

My 150A four stroke is completely stuffed. I purchased the motor in 2004 since then i have used it every 2 weeks and flushed it according to the manufacturers instructions minimum of 15 minutes with the garden hose. I have had outboard motors for 40 years and always looked after them like my life depended on them going out 70k sometimes it did. All other motors i have used the muffs but when i spoke to Yamaha when i purchased the motor they said definitely do not start the motor with muffs on. Just use the garden hose.
    My motor has done around 900 hrs. I think it is not a lot to have reasonably expected the motor to have lasted more than 10 years with good maintenance.
    My power head now has holes blown through the block next to the thermostat and is completely corroded inside.
    NOT HAPPY MR YAMAHA..
    My Motor looked like brand new and never had a problem up to now just be careful if you own a Yamaha Four stroke and are following the manufacturers recommendations.

Re: WARNING Yamaha Corrosion

I can see some popcorn needed here, any chance of a couple of photos?

geeez mad fish, that would make ya rip ya nighty ! pretty low expected hours for a 4 stroke !
    im not up to date with the garden hose flushing system, but are you saying if you'd of used muff's it would have made a difference ?

bonneville

Did they tell you that not running the motor when flushing only cleans out the lower leg area of the motor?????? where is running on muffs flushes the whole cooling system?????????????? I feel for you mate, but every motor needs to be ran on the muffs hose running started for at least 5 minutes until thermostats open and Fresh water cleans the whole system from lower leg to thermos and back!!!!!!

only popcorn needed is while you eat watching your motor running with ear muffs flushing the whole system once your popcorn box is empty shut the motor down and disconnect the muffs

Quote Originally Posted by oldie View Post
    Did they tell you that not running the motor when flushing only cleans out the lower leg area of the motor?????? where is running on muffs flushes the whole cooling system?????????????? I feel for you mate, but every motor needs to be ran on the muffs hose running started for at least 5 minutes until thermostats open and Fresh water cleans the whole system from lower leg to thermos and back!!!!!!
    I had the impression the the hose adapter would flush the block and planned on using that when on the water overnight when i replaced freshwater pump. How wrong was i. Not much point doing that now hey oldie.
    Glad i always use muffs then.
    These forums are so helpful. Never a dumb question.

If I come home late at night its the fresh water hose point. ...very next day its a start up and.run up to temp with muffs..15min total flush on muffs. So no popcorn needed just muffs

Sorry to hear about your flush v corrosion woes. Would be a bit of a shock if you thought you.were doing the right thing.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

They say you can use the hose connection and put the muffs on as well
    The muffs without the hose connection
    or block the hose connection part on the muffs?

Quote Originally Posted by oldie View Post
    Not sure about the bigger motors, but my f50 had the flushing adaptor at the head, so there is no way it only flushed the leg. It basically flushed the motor in the reverse direction to what water is pumped when running.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin View Post
    They say use a hose with the muffs on
    the muffs without the hose connection the blocked ones ?
    Can I have what ever you're drinking?

I am confused.
    Mad Fish, are you saying that you have been flushing by using the hose adaptor only without running the motor?
    What should the correct process have been:
    # Running the motor with muffs and/or
    # Running the motor with just the hose connection
    # Running the motor with muffs and then using the flushing port without re-starting the motor?

Not having a go, I am in the process of buying the same motor, and trying to determine best practice and I haven't owned a motor with the flushing port previously.

Cheers,
    Scott.

I agree Scott it is confusing, would be terrible if the damage was caused by a simple misunderstanding.

I have a Suzuki. It has a flush port too. I am under the impression that the port flushes the head only and not the leg (contrary to another poster). It is to be used by people who own boats that don't leave the water. No point flushing leg if it is partly submerged and you cant use muffs in this scenario anyway. The muffs are the preferred option as it is a comprehensive flush.

In light of this, I am surprised that the head is rusted out using the flush port method.

Pretty sure what he's saying is that he's used the garden hose connection all the time instead of the muffs on the advise he received from Yamaha, and he's refering to not starting the motor on the hose attatchment. Might be wrong but thats how i take it.

Funny how we all read things differently.

As there's no mention of the flushing port at all in the post I take it as Mad Fish has been flushing with the muffs without running the motor.

Put us out of our misery Mad Fish.