Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone been to Fraser lately

Re: Anyone been to Fraser lately

Might see you on the beach but we are camping at Dunduburra area. I'll be in a white Colorado traveling with a red Triton and another vehicle. Getting to the barge early Friday morning.

For those wanting to keep an eye on predicted water temps and currents.
    BOM water temp forecast.

Will.

[QUOTE=McKnight;1559711]Might see you on the beach but we are camping at Dunduburra area. I'll be in a white Colorado traveling with a red Triton and another vehicle. Getting to the barge early Friday morning.

For those wanting to keep an eye on predicted water temps and currents.
    BOM water temp forecast.

Will keep an eye out for you. We camped exactly 6KM north of Dundaburra last year and had some fun. Was a massive Hole (not gutter) that we burleyed up for 5 days and caught some nice sharks and spotted plenty of Spanish speeding through the back breakers. We will venture down that way early next week once the SE wind dies down. Are you just targeting tailor and bread and butter? Will see ya up there

Yeah we are just targeting tailor. What were you using for burley? wouldn't mind chasing something bigger if we manage to bag out on tailor (ha doubt it).

Me and a mate have just returned from a few days at Cathedral Beach last week. We had to work for our tailor but did ok to get our bag from Wednesday to Saturday before the wind got up. Best fish came from the pre-dawn sessions fishing the rising tide with the majority around 38cm and the biggest going 49cm. Getting anything over 35cm during day light hours was almost impossible. Also picked up a few surprises while spinning with a decent Mactuna and GT. Lures of choice for the trip were 50g Lazers in blue pearl and glow. Tried slide baiting for the first time with livies and slabs of fresh Tuna with only a few runs ending in bite offs for our efforts.

There were not a lot of ideal low or high tide gutters and fishing the deeper holes about 2 km’s north of the Cathedrals and a few others just south of the Maheno produced the best results for us. Whiting were hard to come by with only about 10 or so landed in a session between us. Beach is in excellent condition and passable at all times of the tide.

Cheers
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    Yeah we are just targeting tailor. What were you using for burley? wouldn't mind chasing something bigger if we manage to bag out on tailor (ha doubt it).
    I have a chest freezer full of fish frames that I keep for crabbing, beach worming and burley. I throw half dozen fish frames in a bucket a day or 2 before we head up so its nice and smelly then spike it into the sand bar. Only take 10 minutes and the sharks come in. No good for fishing for much else once this is done

Quote Originally Posted by Forward View Post
    Me and a mate have just returned from a few days at Cathedral Beach last week. We had to work for our tailor but did ok to get our bag from Wednesday to Saturday before the wind got up. Best fish came from the pre-dawn sessions fishing the rising tide with the majority around 38cm and the biggest going 49cm. Getting anything over 35cm during day light hours was almost impossible. Also picked up a few surprises while spinning with a decent Mactuna and GT. Lures of choice for the trip were 50g Lazers in blue pearl and glow. Tried slide baiting for the first time with livies and slabs of fresh Tuna with only a few runs ending in bite offs for our efforts.

There were not a lot of ideal low or high tide gutters and fishing the deeper holes about 2 km’s north of the Cathedrals and a few others just south of the Maheno produced the best results for us. Whiting were hard to come by with only about 10 or so landed in a session between us. Beach is in excellent condition and passable at all times of the tide.

Cheers
    Neil
    Thanks for the heads up Neil. I will put up a report or 2 while I'm up there

Mate's Dad is over there atm. Says conditions are rubbish (wind/swell etc) but the tailor are around. Bagged 20 legal yesterday and had much fun raking them in on lures whilst standing next to guys with pillies getting nothing! They are only going to get thicker moving forward so I would say things are looking up!

Another ~50 tailor caught today apparently. No huge ones but good numbers nonetheless. Obviously he threw the majority back

Bloody hell what does he do with them all, tailor are shit fish to freeze. You really have to eat them fresh to enjoy it.
    From the weekend we caught 25 between 9 of us. Only had 1 or 2 proper fishing sessions. on Sunday we parked up on a nice gutter at low tide and messed around until 2 hours before high tide when they came on.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    Bloody hell what does he do with them all, tailor are shit fish to freeze. You really have to eat them fresh to enjoy it.
    From the weekend we caught 25 between 9 of us. Only had 1 or 2 proper fishing sessions. on Sunday we parked up on a nice gutter at low tide and messed around until 2 hours before high tide when they came on.
    Not necessarily. I only eat fresh tailor but my mum loves it frozen. I can take her fresh tailor fillets and she will still freeze them. She's deadest hopeless, but that's just the way she likes to eat tailor. Just cause you don't like it that way doesn't mean it's wrong. Also not mentioned was how many blokes were actually fishing.

Looking forward to all these reports from the Island. Plenty of blokes were up there for the Ekka week so we should be getting inundated with Fraser reports any day now

Haha only 1 bloke fishing... but OBVIOUSLY he doesn't keep 50 tailor. It would be ridiculous not to mention illegal to do so.

The vast majority of fish he catches he throws back, just fishing for the love of it. He will keep a couple bigger ones for dinner probably, and maybe use a couple for live bait every now and then but again I stress, he throws the vast majority back (as we will also do when we get over there)

I was merely pointing out that he is having no troubles catching good numbers of tailor, after what appeared to be a slow start to the season with no good reports coming through.

Quote Originally Posted by -Shay- View Post
    I was merely pointing out that he is having no troubles catching good numbers of tailor, after what appeared to be a slow start to the season with no good reports coming through.
    Yep, it's surprising how many fish you can catch if you don't get on the piss and play up like a two bob watch.

Well Must say, in 36yrs I have never not brought fish home from Fraser. We camped just south of Nykala rocks and found the fishing pretty Slow. We arrived around Lunch time 8th August (same time every yr) and set up camp, cooked dinner then hit the Orchid Beach pub to watch the Footy. Little did we know the tailor had plans to go crazy Saturday morning and we missed our only real good chance to get our bag limit. Didn't surface until around 8am as the usual Ocean Lake gutter was on fire with plenty of 35 -38cm fish hitting the beach with the odd 40+ coming in. We decided to take a run up to the cape on the Sunday and was surprised at how many tailor the couple of lone campers up there had in the bucket, reckons the schools of tailor would run up and down the beach on the high tide every morning with the odd Spotty mackerel thrown in for fun. Also the guys up there trolled up a few Spanish Macs just 300m off the beach. Monday saw us down the Eastern beach with plenty of reports from some guys we knew down around dundabarra and Catherals. I managed 1 38cm fish that went straight back out on a slide rig which lasted all of about 3 mins before a freight train hit it at full speed which I was calling a big Spanish Mac. Nothing else to report after this except for witnessing a nice 1400mm long Spanish off the beach at the Catherals on Tuesday lunch time in 20+knot SE winds and sloppy conditions. WHile stopped talking with these guys they lost another big fish on 50lb. All in all us boys did have a great time and haven't laughed so hard for a long time. Will plan a quick trip over for the Oct long weekend. Hope the other upcoming trips are fruitful for the rest of you

Cheers

saw plenty of undersized getting bagged this week

Nice work Tailorfisho! Good to hear some spanish taken from the beach too.

Always a shame when that happens 63eh