Thread: Braid choice

Braid choice

Hi all
    I'm looking for some feedback on what you consider to be the best braid in the 8-10lb range, for trolling and tossing small hardbody lures for bream and flathead? Have been using fins and power pro and found them quite ok but want to compare with others.

Re: Braid choice

I had good luck with the YGK Nitlon 8lb braid. Found it to be quiet good.
    It did fade after a while (from the yellow to white), but i didn't get wind knots and casting was good. Would use it again for sure.

Im currently using the Sunline Rockfish braid in 10lb which is actually thinner than the previous Nitlon. Seems to be ok, but I've been using my heavier gear most of the time this year.

I have been using Tasline SAS braid and find it probably the best braid I have used. It s very thin so casts a long way with a little stiffness so wind knots are not so much of an issue. Comes also in a variety of lengths which is great for different applications other than Flathead trolling. I use the 8LB for Bream and the 12LB for flathead.
    Regards to all Dick

Blog Entries

+1 for the TAS Line it is the shiz in any thing over 10lb!!! I like Nanofil too but only run 6lb now for flattys.

Another thumbs up from me for Tas line.

I have had a shocking time with Tasline in 20 and 30 lb . Any line twist and is breaks well below specs.
    Do not ever tie a Bimini in it !
    The twists will make 30 lb break at 6 lb. Shame as it tests on a single line pull of nearly 50lb and is super fine,but very limp. No good once you tie a knot or 2 in it.
    Rubbish especially for the price of it.
    It may be much better in light breaking strains.
    I do the Bimini and Improved Albright in Fins, PowerPro, Woodstock PowerStrike and have never had a problem.
    Probably the best I have used is Daiwa TD Sensor braid, but it is a bit too expensive for me at the moment, so I stick with the ever reliable Fins.
    I rang the importer and he said to tie a Uni to Uni which does not have the balls of a Bimini/Albright combo, in fact almost half, or the other alternative was to buy one of his PR knot tools for $120. Yeah right.
    I have been tying knots for over 40 years and never experienced break offs like it.
    And when your constantly losing big fish, it becomes just a tad annoying.
    Avoid it in higher breaking strains, but as the guys on here say, the lighter stuff may be okay.
    If you're happy with Fins, I suggest sticking to it.
    Tim

Daiwa Samuria Braid.... find it on ebay

Im pretty happy with the sunline pe braid in 3kg for flathead, ties a good knot and is supple, on my wifes reel im using a chinese braid that's looks and feels very much like the sunline but half the price, its found at the big sporting retailer ......

varivas in any poundage.I have tasline in 25and 30lb with no issues but i use fg and pr knots with a uni knot tieing to terminals as for a pr knot tool go get a fly tieing bobbin and a a plastic thread spool from the wifes sewing machine but wrap the braid around the bobbin arm only 3 times as a plastic bobbin doesnt spin as freely as an alloy one.Totat cost about $12 for your $120 tool.
    I can tie over 20 knots but have refined it to these 3 for everything from whiting to gt"s.
    Graham

i like the nanofil as well

Tuff line, Power Pro, Sufix. They have all been good to me

super PE...

Hi all

went with the Tasline SAS braid. OMG this line is thin the 8lb is thinner than 4lb in other brands and tyhe 12 lb is not much thicker. Havent used it yet but looks and feels great. But the proof will be in performance.