Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expensive Palmy Outing : Currumbin Bar

Expensive Palmy Outing : Currumbin Bar

Went out chasing Macs on Friday before Easter.
    Ocean was flat as a mirror, and on high tide - motored across Currumbin bar as though it was not even there!
    Trolled about for a few hours - no hits. Saw (& heard) Carnster hook up to Mr Hoo on his yak a few hundred meters from me .... he loves doing that to us boaties
    Made the call to head in at 8am, as the tide was dropping and wanted to drive across the bar, rather than getting out and pushing/dragging (it's very shallow at the moment)
    There were about 5 boats heading across the bar at the same time. In the flat conditions there were ZERO surfers/SUP's/swimmers etc to be seen on the bar entrance, and no waves to negotiate - a welcome change!
    So, we all crossed the bar on the plane and then backed off just as we passed the rock wall on the north ....

Yesterday I received an infringement notice from MSQ in the post ... they had officers with video cameras on the rock wall. Got stung $220 for being on the plane in a 6 knot zone Photos sent to me to prove I was 20mtrs past the 6 knot sign on the rock wall .... no point in fighting it .... by the law we were all in the wrong, and with a lot of focus on saftey at Currumbin Creek, I'm sure that the authorities are keen to make a point that they are doing something about it. There would have been 100+ boats out that day, and I am sure more most of us crossed the bar in the same fashion - nice bit of MSQ revenue!

So, this is just a friendly warning to all who use Currumbin bar to access the fish - watch your speed - even when it is safe with regards to no swell and no surfers/swimmers etc, the law is the law!!

Re: Expensive Palmy Outing : Currumbin Bar

Always someone around who wants to spoil an almost perfect day.

Hi Rob, It's easily done. I will let the locals know cheers
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Wonder if you could fight it on the basis that it is a 6 knot zone and if they do not have evidence of your speed, they cannot prosecute you? All boats have different planning speeds and characteristics so how could they prove you were exceeding 6 knots?

I am not in favour of breaking the law, however bar crossings are ALWAYS dangerous and getting across the bar into safe waters is a safety issue. Thumbs down to MSQ on this one.

Are there any other bars around with the same legislation imposed?

Some times crossing a bar at 6 knots is the most dangerous thing you cound do.
    Jack.

Sounds rather annoying . Hope they don't have cameras anywhere else with out telling the general public

M8 that is wrong, sounds like revenue raising and a lack of common sense. Sorry too hear that Rob, bad luck 4 sure.

I agree passing through bars safely is more important then the speed you actually go through them. Even in flat conditions freak waves can still occur.
    Unlucky for that mate though mate.

Feeling your pain Rob. Double bunger of no fish and the fine.

I got done turning into a school with the Connect vehicle the other week and missed the no right turn sign tight against the tree. The policeman was waiting around the corner booking bunches of people doing the same.

Its a bummer but you only have to read Trev's post and it all seems to fade into nothing.

Lets hope the next trip out is a winner for you buddy!

Bring on those big Spano's!!

Mal

It would be worth challenging just to see what they come up with.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Your doing 6 knots following the law and the swell suddenly pushes your speed to 10 knots and your not on the plane.What immediate control of your speed do you have ? I am all for safety particulary for Currumbin bar but I am more for common sense.Also what speed limit applies for kite surfers ? I just love observing the 6 knot speed limit down the broadwater channel adjacent to marine parade and trying enter loders creek with those clown kite surfers (not all of them)cutting in front of you doing 20-30 +knots.
    http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Collision-regulations.aspx

Mate Revenue is obviously the objective of there presence to do this, shame the boys in blue have to do such trivial things, where will it end.
    I am sure there is a lot more going on in the gold coast that would require there presence.

Revenue raising....Rubbish! The speed limit is 6 knots and you exceeded it. The limit doesn't commence until inside the Creek entrance by about 50 metres, so please stop this "bush" lawyer talk about the bar crossing. If maniac law breakers and their urgers don't start respecting the speed limit in Currumbin Creek, the result will be closing it off to all boat traffic, particularly after the death and near miss on the bar in the past 18 months. Its no different from those formula one drivers who speed through 80kph road works - I only wish there were enough resources to have secret covert camera vehicles all along such stretches of road. SLOW DOWN and respect the posted limits.

hmmm, I think the name says it all

Judge Mental seems to have misinterpreted my post.
    I was never denying being in the wrong - nor condoning or encouraging "maniac law-breaking" behaviour. As an ex-SAffa I immigrated to Aus with my family in order to get away from rampant lawlessness :-)
    The 6 knot zone is clearly signposted on the northern rock wall, I was at this point when I backed off from the plane - hence I would've been breaking the law ... only by a few meters, but breaking it nonetheless.
    One would assume that the wave zone of the bar itself is not regulated to 6 knots. However, being on the plane across the bar & passing closer than 30 mtrs from a surfer (deemed a swimmer with a flotation device by MSQ) who is in the water would probably be deemed an infringement. (how many surfers/SUP's/boogers do we all pass at closer than 30mtrs on that bar??) But that is another debate well-documented here http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...65397613,d.dGI

My intention was to warn other Currumbin bar boaties that they need to observe the 6 knot limit strictly or cop a similar fine - or even worse, contribute to boaties being frowned upon & subsequently banned from using this bar!!!