Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sealing and stabilizing an old tinny

Re: sealing and stabilizing an old tinny

Thanks spelchek, the boat has a casting deck and false floor so it wouldnt be visibale anyway. where can this tar paint be bought from?

Shooter1 i cant find anything on the net in relation to the ferropre epoxy. can you please give me more info?

Try tredgrip mate. Acts as a water proofing membrane. About $120 for 4 ltrs from most paint places. Wipe fuel spills up quick though.
    Check out my albums, I used the grey tredgrip on the old quinnie.
    http://www.dominionplas.com.au/tredgrip.htm

Thanks cwcarter i will look into this. how much do you think id need for an 11foot boat? i just want to do the floor and 4 inches up the edges.

The more coats you put on the better. I think I did 4 on mine. The most economical would be the 4ltr. Then you'll have spare for touch ups.
    Heres a place with prices http://www.directpaint.com.au/estore...FQlcpQod1BIAiQ
    Google tredgrip and you'll find more info on it.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

You'll want to apply any coating to the outside of the hull. Will work a lot better than inside. When I was a kid I had an old dehavilan that we put tar all over to stop it leaking. Worked until we left the boat upside down in the sun and it melted and ran everywhere. What a mess.

thanks cwcarter is tredgrip better on the inside or outside of the boat? scuttlebutt advises to paint the outside.

scuttlebutt is there a way of only applying a thin coat to avoid the run from the sun?

I would just do inside with tredgrip.

Shooter1 i cant find anything on the net in relation to the ferropre epoxy. can you please give me more info?

Hi Parrot King. Just Google it plenty of info. Also remember by applying sealants it will make welding more difficult if required at a later stage. Put the Tinny in the water 1st and see what happens.

I got the tar paint from Bunnings. I would second (third or forth?) the advice to not do anything until you put the boat in water though.

Thanks cwcarter inside sounds like the plan

Shooter1 i will google search again and see what i can find

spelchek i will check with bunnings but put the boat in water first.

Any further comments people ?

To be honest I wouldn't bother with ferrope two part epoxy, it does go quite hard and not very flexible. although it can be mixed underwater (best way to mix the two components together, otherwise it gets real messy). It is mostly used by us plumbers to seal up pipes and joints underground. Can be purchased at Reece and Tradelink plumbing suppliers.

I think you are better off putting the boat in water marking all the areas with leaks with a black marker, then if cosmetics isn't a big issue just dab a little bit of marine sikaflex over the cleaned up area, smooth it out with your wet finger and move onto the next.

But you can't go past a bilge pump, IMO all boats should have one regardless.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks steve I will keep that in mind but im definitely getting a bilge pump.

Lol... have you put this in the drink yet? Does it even leak?
    And we used to scoop the water out with an old icecream container. Worked fine, was cheap, and simple.

Thanks the woo, no havent had it in the drink yet so unsure if it even leaks. I do have a bailer and will install a bilge pump.