Thread: Shaft length ... how long is yours?? (minn kota)

Shaft length ... how long is yours?? (minn kota)

G'day putting an 80lb minn kota on my 5.4m sea jay, just trying to figure out what shaft length I need. who has used what length shaft on a similar boat?
    54in looks like the common shaft length, but im thinking 60in would be more suited?

Re: Shaft length ... how long is yours?? (minn kota)

Get a 60. Even if you don't need it , a 60 helps in choppy conditions. I have one on a 5.3 borger cat and it is great. Get an ipilot and you will love it.

Get a 60" mate I have one on my 5.8m fisher plate boat excellent definitely better in chop.........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yeah thanks gents, getting a 60" for sure.
    ordering it today actually so it should be on before this years barra classic. can't wait!

Hey Salad Fingers - did you end up installing your motor?

Can I bother you for some photos/description of how you mounted it and what fasteners your used?

I too have a Sea Jay but the electronic motor mount they installed from factory doesn't give me much room underneath for the nuts and bolts.

Here are some photos of mine, is this the same bracket you have?

Thanks!

IMG_0369_EDIT.jpgIMG_0375_EDIT.jpgIMG_0376_EDIT.jpgIMG_0377_EDIT.jpg

No, I don't have the factory mount - had one added on.
    Just used the nuts and bolts that came with the mount.
    My mount does the same thing as the factory one there and goes into the gunwale coping, the minn mota nuts work fine going in there though on mine.

I'll get some photos in the next few days for ya

far out, how good are they though?! can't believe I held out for this long!

Photos would be great thanks mate!

I have only heard how good they are, hopefully I can work out this mounting bracket and get one on there ASAP.

One question I just thought of, is where did you mount the batteries? I was thinking of either on the front casting deck or making a false floor at the bottom of the hatch on the front casting deck and mounting them down there as low as possible.

I wanted the batteries in the back half of the boat, so I made a new hatch under the console back to rear seat spigot and mounted the two batteries under there. Worked out really well. I'll see if I can find a pic.

FB_IMG_14000577821640603.jpg

Here's a pic of the hatch, now has a cover over it obviously. Best spot I could find to put the batteries for good rearward weight distribution.

That's pretty neat!

I like the idea of having the weight centred.