Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I've bought a boat

So I've bought a boat

...and it's a 5 metre glass with a 90. NOw it's on a canal and the trailer can't now get out from the canal onto the road as he's built in since buying the boat originally. I've heard of people strapping their trailers to the boat and going quietly through the canals to the nearest ramp. Anyone ever done this? Tried to find some reference to this but havent been able to. Can't think of the key words to put in the search. Help anyone?

Re: So I've bought a boat

I've seen it done a few times at Newport Waterways......technically nothing dramatic about it......just idle it around and wash it very well when you get home.

Hardest part is getting the trailer hitched at the ramp.
    Jack.

OK, just put a rope on and chock the wheels I spose?

can you post some pics so we can see the issue.
    David

You could try attach some 200 litre drums to it and tow it to the ramp.

We assume there are no electrics on it?

This being the case just keep the winch attached to the bow and rope the transom to the rear of the trailer.

Go slow from where you bought it around to the ramp and when you get there tie a rope from your tow ball to the trailer hitch take the weight with the car and then untie the boat which you float off as normal. Pull the trailer up the ramp, pop it onto the ball then retrieve the boat as per normal. Easy peasy.

As said above really wash it down well afterwards. If it was mine I would also fit bearing buddies and grease the bearings well before the drowning. Best way to prevent salt water getting is to have no room for it.

Where are you going to do this by the way?

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Down the goldie chimo.

Quote Originally Posted by dnej View Post
    can you post some pics so we can see the issue.
    David
    sorry david, boat is at his place at present and I'm in brissie, so no pics

Hi
    A mate of mine had the same problem and what we did was hire a floating pontoon, we took off the wheels and springs to get the weight down and carried it on to the pontoon and towed it to the boat ramp.

Had that problem once but was able to flip trailer 90 degrees on to a dolly and take it down the side of the house and out the side gate.

Neighbours got room down the side of their house? You could perhaps take out a fence panel?

Drop the axle off the trailer and take out frame first?

Any friendly crane drivers?

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    ...and it's a 5 metre glass with a 90. NOw it's on a canal and the trailer can't now get out from the canal onto the road as he's built in since buying the boat originally. I've heard of people strapping their trailers to the boat and going quietly through the canals to the nearest ramp. Anyone ever done this? Tried to find some reference to this but havent been able to. Can't think of the key words to put in the search. Help anyone?

Seen it done at the runaway bay boat ramp similar to what Chimo above said no problem ...Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Shiek

Might be able to give you a hand depending when and where this is to happen. Send a PM if you wish.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Shiek

Might be able to give you a hand depending when and where this is to happen. Send a PM if you wish.

Cheers
    Chimo
    Yeah give me a yell as well...i can possibly lend a hand depending on timing and location.......Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Shiek

Cheers
    Chimo
    thanks chimo, appreciate the offer. Not sure when it will happen. trailer looks quite good, but to be honest after being very careful looking at others in the past month, i just looked at the boat and the motor and went yep, that'll do. sort of wisihing i'd taken more notice of the little things. think because the owner was such a good salesman. anyway, it's locked in now and it's a good boat, one that will be alright for jack and alright for offshore, so hopefully i can get away with this trailer. he hasn't registered it for 18 months so i'll have to do that somehow too. have to go to qld transport i'd imagine and get it approved on the way back to brissie.
    won't be doing anything til after easter as far as i know, unless it's this wednesday, when i haev a dy off work

Quote Originally Posted by paullee View Post
    Yeah give me a yell as well...i can possibly lend a hand depending on timing and location.......Paul
    thanks paullee, see above post to chimo. much appreciated