Sunfish has had reasonable success over the past 4 years in achieving funding for its major R&D priorities from FRDC(Fisheries Research and Development Corporation)– e.g. Saddleback workshop, Jungle Perch project, Habitat study in North Qld, workshop on the effects of discarded tackle on seabirds.

We are now looking to identify some priority projects to recommend for the next round of considerations. I would like you to nominate 2 or 3 that you think would be of value to the recreational sector. I have included a list but you might have your own ideas as well.

This first two are suggestions from our Scientific Officer Dr Barry Pollock and the rest have come from other rec fishers.

- A detailed study into the actual cause of the saddleback syndrome
- Assessment of the SQAFCA/QAFCA fishing club catch records 1980-2014 to investigate catch trends, and the impacts of management measures (new size and bag limits)
Barry Pollock would be the Principle Investigator. He would liaise with individual fishing clubs on their catch information. He would ensure that there would be NO detrimental outcomes for clubs or recreational fishers in general from this study.

• Social and economic importance of rec fishing to Qld economy (some work done at national level)
  • Value of stocked impoundments to regional and rural communities (some work done previously)
  • Creating jobs in rec fishing particularly in regional communities and in conjunction with tourism (Govt aim is to double tourism numbers in next decade)
  • What do we need to know about species that are red flagged (e.g. Snapper, Mackerel, Mary River Cod) (not stock assessments as these are not funded by FRDC)
  • Has the artificial reef program provided benefits to rec fishers and fish stocks? (not sure if this is being addressed)
  • Developing a Citizen Science culture among Qld rec fishers
  • Meeting the challenge of generational transition in leading the sector into the next decades
  • The best triple bottom line value usage of inshore fisheries focusing on true TBL esp environmental and social values and focusing on 3 or 4 major rec species e.g. whiting, bream and flathead.
  • Has there been significant change to recreational fishing patterns post bag and size limits and marine parks?
  • Measuring localized depletions (netting impacts, high population densities)
  • How should we approach spawning aggregations in the future?
  • What is causing saddleback deformities especially in bream, our most important species in Qld. (work previously done on this)
  • Understanding and influencing perceptions of the broader community in QLD towards recreational fishing/fishers.
  • Explore use of recreational fishing as therapy for treatment of depression and/or stress/anxiety disorders.
  • Compare the effectiveness of stocking to various habitat rehabilitation techniques for enhancing recreational fisheries in QLD.
  • Impact of shipping noise on spawning activity of pelagic fish (i.e. Spanish Mackerel), and reef species (Coral Trout, Pearl Perch, Teraglin Jew) on the basis of recent FRDC research conducted in WA.
  • Increase engagement of Queensland’s recreational fishing community in the improvement of our fisheries through enhancement of fish habitat.

· Increasing Rec fisher participation in Gently Does It and environmental stewardship actions: Barriers and drivers
Could I please have these back to me as soon as possible.

Kind Regards

Judy Lynne
Executive Officer
Sunfish Queensland Inc
07 3882 4518
0409 056 437