Thread: Catch the latest fishing statistics online

Catch the latest fishing statistics online

Queensland Government
    Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

Media release
    5 February 2014

Catch the latest fishing statistics online

Queenslanders can now access the latest statistics on commercial and recreational fishing with the launch of the new QFish web portal by the Queensland Government.

Fisheries Queensland Manager Ross Quinn said the new web interface brought all types of fishing data together in one, easy-to-use resource.

“With more than 700,000 recreational fishers and 1500 licensed commercial fishing boats, Queensland is a state of fishing enthusiasts,” Dr Quinn said.

“This portal provides open, transparent data to the community in response to their key interests.

“It allows users to access catch and effort information by fish species, years, specific areas or regions and fishing methods.

“The recreational catch data is drawn from statewide recreational fishing surveys, while the commercial fishing data is from daily commercial logbooks dating back to 1990.

“This is a new and improved resource, replacing the Coastal Habitat Resources Information System (CHRIS).

“QFish accesses commercial fishing information updated weekly, so provides more complete and current information than CHRIS did.

“Information accessed through QFish can be easily downloaded to a spreadsheet, and data on grids or fishing regions can be easily mapped.

“Once produced, the map can be printed or downloaded to your computer for later use.

“Access to current, region-specific data on fishing will enable users to become more familiar with trends in their area, whether for their personal enjoyment or business.”

Visit QFish at http://qfish.daff.qld.gov.au

For further information on QFish and assistance with your data search, contact 13 25 23.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Re: Catch the latest fishing statistics online

Fishing surveys huh? Yeh real accurate! Record one guy bagging snapper and multiply by 700,000.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Fishing surveys huh? Yeh real accurate! Record one guy bagging snapper and multiply by 700,000.
    Lovey, What are you talking about, these are highly accurate figures, scientifically gathered, LOL..

Wait for it.. ... its another telephone survey..

http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/__data/as...tsheet-May.pdf

Maybe its the number of guys in the 60-100yr old bracket that are increasing, based on the info in this document looks like they are all in their 70-80's.

Regards
    Honda.

Yeh real accurate lol. Oh wait the survey from 1957 showed we caught 400t of snapper and we've averaged 7% increase in boat sales annually since then so we must have caught an average of 7% more snapper each year since then also. This is the sort of stuff fisheries qld calls science.

Feel free to provide alternative methodologies Lovey but if you knew much about fisheries science, you would know this is important data. There is no other way to get important stats such as CPUE over an entire state. Statistical analysis is used to work in the errors (there is error in pretty much all statstics) so no one is saying it is 100%- population science cant be 100% due to its nature, but log books and volunteered catch rates by recs is important data and is reasonably accurate.
    The phone data is conducted by undertaking regular phone interviews (usually monthly) with volunteers who are keen fishos and willing to provide as accurate data as they can- it is not just random calling- you have to register. I cant imagine many would register just to give bullshit data- I know I didnt when I participated a couple of years ago.

How that data has been used in the past is probably your main beef- I understand why.
    Your example above (not sure if it is true or not- I cant recall) however this is the sort of crap that happens when a political edict overrides a department/ scientists better judgement- they have little choice but to try and justify a predetermined outcome, often looking silly as a result. Has that happened in this case? Well if what you say is true you would have to think so.

Camhawk, go back and read all the threads on the RRFF review to get an understanding of the farce that was made of the very very limited data.

I do recall some of it and to be honest dont want to re read all of the drama. But as I said- it is not how they are collecting the data or the quality of it it is how it is used. And how it is used is often determined by who is directing it. My point being that the phone surveys are a valid method and the data is useful if used correctly. Obviously the more participants the better the quality/ lower the errors.