Thread: Turkey Stuffing

Turkey Stuffing

Sooooo now that the Christmas season is over would like to know how many did a whole Turkey and their favourite recipe for Turkey stuffing. Reason for asking is for the first time ever i did a Whole Tukey in the Webber and it turned out More than Moorish, though had no idea on Turkey stuffing and fumbled our way through to our advantage mindyou..
    Prices were still down in Woolies so bought anothery today and this time would like to find a good stuffing recipe thats proven..

Re: Turkey Stuffing

Hi Volvo

This is what we had for the 40th time and it still great.
    8 cups white bread cubes
    3/4 chopped onion
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    2 to 3 tsp sage
    1/4 - 1/2 cup melted butter
    Mix and stuff

The other great way to do your 3rd turkey is what we call cauterised turkey.
    Break the turkey into small pieces.
    Wipe liberally with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
    Preheat the barbeque until really really hot ie at least 400 degrees plus and lay the pieces on the plate to brown and then the grill rack turning frequently to avoid burning and then enjoy.

Bloody magnificent. Also works with chicken if your out of turkey!

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

I'm doing a turkey in the webber tomorrow so i might give that stuffing a go.
    Volvo.
    How long did your turkey take in the webber? I've had a quick look at my webber book and they say 2-2.5 hrs for a 5-6kg bird with a normal fire.

PS the missus went to woolies today and scored a turkey breast roast for $7.49 down from $44 and a number 60,6.5kg turkey for $1.21.That price wasn't a typo either she showed me the receipt.

Cheers Dazza

Quote Originally Posted by 2DKnBJ View Post
    I'm doing a turkey in the webber tomorrow so i might its mostly white allround beforeive that stuffing a go.
    Volvo.
    How long did your turkey take in the webber? I've had a quick look at my webber book and they say 2-2.5 hrs for a 5-6kg bird with a normal fire.

PS the missus went to woolies today and scored a turkey breast roast for $7.49 down from $44 and a number 60,6.5kg turkey for $1.21.That price wasn't a typo either she showed me the receipt.

Cheers Dazza
    Dazza, last whole Turkey we paid $25 at Woolies and today there was one a smidgeon bigger than the last marked down to $18 so missus n I agrred to do anothery in the webber n see if we could get the stuffing right hence the post .
    Last one was trial n error in our favour and took aprox 3.5 hours though what we did was place it in a foil dish with a wee bit of water in the bottom of the dish. Also covered the bird and dish with alfoil for the first two hours then removed the foil to brown the skin and make it crispy which was succesfull though next bird I will place on a rack in the dish to get it up off the bottom of the dish and stop it from sticking go the dish and same timing again.
    I dont know what heat source you use but I use Lump Charcoal and wait till Its nearlh white allround before putting bird in and closing lid.
    Bought about twenty 20 kilo bags of lump charcoal some timeback and down to my last six bags and wouldnt use anything else once used to Charcoal ey..
    Also found the Turkey to have come out more tender n tastier than chook in all honesty, maybe due to the Webber??...
    $1.21 for a whole Turkey??, if so I woulda bought halfe a dozen lol.

PS thinking of instead of water in the dish next time will put a little water, little olive oil, and a little(ON THE MORE side of white Wine) and see how that goes though the bird emits a fair share of its own juices in the dish till you remove the foil and then it evaporates away.

Hi
    I don't like Turkey personally but my nan did a mean stuffing.

She used fresh breadcrumbs, diced onion, fresh thyme, salt and pepper. Combine all with an egg and well you know what to do with it. I use this for my roast chook and tastes great.

Also you can stuff under the skin with butter - helps keep the thing moist and helps the skin crisp up.
    Place on roasting rack and keep some water in the tray and keep covered with foil until 3/4 done.

Mrs H

We use a rack on the bottom of the roaster and our roaster has a lid so the entire bird is enclosed (last one was 4.2 kg but we do bigger ones depending on how many are at home for it) so it keeps the bird moist.

We only cover those parts of the bird with foil that need to be no browner as we baste and note progress. The 4.2 kg stuffed bird was specified to be cooked for between 4 and 4.5 hrs at 325F / 180C.

Half way thru cooking we add a cup of water to the juices that have come off the bird to make the roaster pan easier to clean but also to start the base for the gravy that gets made in the pan whie the turkeys resting prior to carving.

Cooking time for unstuffed birds you deduct 5mins per lb

Halves 5lb to 8 lb 3.5 to 4 hrs at 180C Quarters 4 to 6 lbs cook for 3 to 4 hrs at 180C

All roasters are the covered type which keeps the meat moist (and the oven so much cleaner)

NB the above is sourced from a publication titled "Cooking Alberta's Turkey" that we grabbed while there in 1975 and still refer to regularly!

Cheers
    Chimo

Carving can be fun too.
    PS Still eating turkey leftovers for days yet I suspect............Carving Turkey Alberta 001.jpg
    What could go wrong.......................

Thanks Volvo

For this one i think i will follow the destructions in the webber book.
    I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers Dazza

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well i love my turkey,and stuff it well two boxes of stage and onion stuffing mix,one large red onion 6 cloves of garlic and 4 mild chillies chop up the above fine mix with 2 free range 800 gram eggs now cut a lemon in half and again place one piece of lemon in the bird first then one table spoon of butter now your combined mixed stuffing mix then one more butter then the lemon quarter now using your fingers slide them under the skin of the bird carefully separate from the meat down to the legs now using the table spoon two lots of butter under the skin and spread from the outside with your fingers tooth picks as stitches rub a little salt and butter over the bird get some foil cut to size press around bird and remove for later pre heat bbq to 250 and in goes the bird go and get veges ready don,t forget corn leave in the husk lean against bbq and let butter run down inside a silver tray is a good idea in the bin after cook up yum once the bird browns back on with foil.wait now the best part eat yummmmmmm.cheers Hilly

Only done the two Birds but i'm sold on Turkey in the Webber forever..Did myself a Lamb Shoulder int he webber and it was todie for and will upload a post on this shortly.

Hi Volvo

Have you tried a roast of pickled pork? If you can get a shoulder of PP, 10 minutes before its ready to go in, drop a 3" chunk of hickory wood, or for an Aussie twist, banksia, on each side of the coals, let them ignite and burn for a few minutes, and then drop the pork in. Cook thoroughly as you don't want rare pork.

Smoked pickled pork comes out almost like ham.

it really is a treat!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....