Thread: Don't get caught by mistaken identity

Don't get caught by mistaken identity

Queensland Government
    Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

25 November 2013
    Don’t get caught by mistaken identity

Whiting are a popular, all-year-round recreational fishing species in Queensland so it’s important fishers are able to correctly identify different whiting species.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol district officer Rob McDonald said recreational fishers often confuse trumpeter whiting (winter whiting) with sand whiting (summer whiting), and this could lead to on-the-spot fines.

“Trumpeter (winter) whiting have a silvery grey back with a paler belly featuring a silver horizontal band,” he said.

“Sand (summer) whiting are uniformly silver (no blotches) with the pectoral, pelvic and anal fins being pale yellowish.

“Trumpeter (winter) whiting have no legal size limit but a possession limit of 50 applies; whereas sand (summer) whiting, golden-lined whiting and northern whiting all have a legal size of 23 cm and a combined possession limit of 30 in total.

“Winter and summer whiting are commonly misidentified and fishers could incur an on-the-spot fine of up to $440 for getting it wrong.”

Mr McDonald said some of the distinguishing features between the species can be difficult to pick up at first, so fishers should find a good fish identification book to assist them in identifying whiting and other fish species.

“We urge fishers to check fish identification and fishing rules so that they are familiar with the different fish species and their size and possession limits,” he said.

“If you are in doubt, return the fish to the water.”

For more information on fish size and possession limits, visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or call 13 25 23.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Media: Jodana Anglesey, 3087 8601

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Re: Don't get caught by mistaken identity

Don't worry about mistaken identity, down Southport on Saturday went for a walk approx 3kms spoke to a dozen fisho"s all showed me what they had caught. Out of the dozen dudes only 1 had all legal Whiting, and well the rest were mostly undersized. Even tried to tell some of them about the undersized fish but they would"nt listen (Yep some of these people were actually excited about there catches). Yeh i know Fisheries your totally Stretched For Staff, but Fair Dinkum it was a joke. Oh and Summeries should at least be 25cm Min anyway.

Talking Re: Don't get caught by mistaken identity

Did you wear a green t-shirt??....whilst annoying people??

its stupid that they arnt all 23/25 cm min legal anyway ...summer or winter...take the confusion out of it and change...

Cool Re: Don't get caught by mistaken identity

depends astro ,
    maybe Bartail flatties and duskies should be 30cms. min , 5 max , to reduce confusion???
    Think about it M8

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheries Queensland View Post
    Queensland Government
    Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

25 November 2013
    Don’t get caught by mistaken identity

Whiting are a popular, all-year-round recreational fishing species in Queensland so it’s important fishers are able to correctly identify different whiting species.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol district officer Rob McDonald said recreational fishers often confuse trumpeter whiting (winter whiting) with sand whiting (summer whiting), and this could lead to on-the-spot fines.

“Trumpeter (winter) whiting have a silvery grey back with a paler belly featuring a silver horizontal band,” he said.

“Sand (summer) whiting are uniformly silver (no blotches) with the pectoral, pelvic and anal fins being pale yellowish.

“Trumpeter (winter) whiting have no legal size limit but a possession limit of 50 applies; whereas sand (summer) whiting, golden-lined whiting and northern whiting all have a legal size of 23 cm and a combined possession limit of 30 in total.

“Winter and summer whiting are commonly misidentified and fishers could incur an on-the-spot fine of up to $440 for getting it wrong.”

Mr McDonald said some of the distinguishing features between the species can be difficult to pick up at first, so fishers should find a good fish identification book to assist them in identifying whiting and other fish species.

“We urge fishers to check fish identification and fishing rules so that they are familiar with the different fish species and their size and possession limits,” he said.

“If you are in doubt, return the fish to the water.”

For more information on fish size and possession limits, visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or call 13 25 23.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Media: Jodana Anglesey, 3087 8601

NO...WRONG.....YOU are the ones that set the limits and sizes....and the SPECIES

It is YOUR responsibility to CORRECTLY identify these to US......YOU tell us we can/cannot HAVE them.....YOU anti up and be DEFINITIVE to a FAULT...so NO-ONE has any recourse.

NOT: so fishers should find a good fish identification book to assist them in identifying whiting and other fish species.

It has been MY experience that what would SEEM like a Summerie would actually be a Winterie....AFTER it has been in the tank for a while......BLOTCHES EVERYWHERE.

NOW, before ANYONE tries to crucify me, I opened up the question about 2 months ago and was 'poo-pooed' by the general populace on here...

UnTIL the day arrives when fisheries can be DEFINATELY DEFINITIVE to a FAULT....ie: THIS is this and THAT is that...LIVE...and then DEAD....then I will just WING it and take my chances.

No WONDER peeps just do what they do

OH...and BTW...do NOT post ME any links to fisheries ID pages, SPECIALLY on this subject.....seen 'em all & NO more conclusive than the OP.

Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by solemandownunder View Post
    NO...WRONG.....YOU are the ones that set the limits and sizes....and the SPECIES

It is YOUR responsibility to CORRECTLY identify these to US......YOU tell us we can/cannot HAVE them.....YOU anti up and be DEFINITIVE to a FAULT...so NO-ONE has any recourse.

NOT: so fishers should find a good fish identification book to assist them in identifying whiting and other fish species.

It has been MY experience that what would SEEM like a Summerie would actually be a Winterie....AFTER it has been in the tank for a while......BLOTCHES EVERYWHERE.

NOW, before ANYONE tries to crucify me, I opened up the question about 2 months ago and was 'poo-pooed' by the general populace on here...

UnTIL the day arrives when fisheries can be DEFINATELY DEFINITIVE to a FAULT....ie: THIS is this and THAT is that...LIVE...and then DEAD....then I will just WING it and take my chances.

No WONDER peeps just do what they do

OH...and BTW...do NOT post ME any links to fisheries ID pages, SPECIALLY on this subject.....seen 'em all & NO more conclusive than the OP.

Ray.
    You, your random capital letters, your complete lack of understanding of even the simplest of issues and your save the world super hero brain waves are the only joke here.

What is it about being normal you find so difficult?

settle guys , we agree
    Summer whiting to have same size/bag as winter whiting....reason: reduce confusion
    Duskies to have same size/bag as Bartails.........................reason: reduce confusion

Im with RAY, FISHeries are a JoKe and nEED To be PuT strAIGHT!!!!

A reduction of confusion (on here and on the water) would be good thing.

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

No Gazza mines Blue Mate...just love having a chat mate. MMM....Maybe i should have Text Them Instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    settle guys , we agree
    You sure about that???