Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Four's the limit when using freshwater traps

Four's the limit when using freshwater traps

Queensland Government
    Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

20 November 2013
    Four’s the limit when using freshwater traps

Fishers are reminded there are limits to the number of traps they can set in freshwaters.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol district officer Coby Walker said that there had been an increase in the number of traps being set by individuals.

“In Queensland freshwaters, recreational fishers cannot use more than four traps at any one time,” he said.

“When setting, retrieving or checking the traps, each user must be present. It is unlawful for a person to check another user’s traps unless they are with them.

“This applies to any combination of canister traps, collapsible traps, dillies, funnel traps or round traps.

“These restrictions are in place to protect stocks from overfishing.”

Mr Walker said rules also apply to the tagging and setting of traps.

“Anyone who uses a trap for freshwater fishing must have a tag on the trap showing the owner’s surname and address,” he said.

“It must be either fixed to something stationary above the water level while being used, for example a branch or boat, or attached to a light-coloured float clearly visible on the surface of the water.

“The float must also feature the owner’s surname and be at least 15 cm in each of its dimensions.

“QBFP regularly conducts checks with fishers on the correct use of these devices, with offences carrying a maximum penalty of $110,000 or an on-the-spot fine of $220.

For more information on freshwater fishing rules in Queensland, visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or call 13 25 23.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Media: Jodana Anglesey, 3087 8601

Question Re: Four's the limit when using freshwater traps

Hi Fisheries , many thanks for your constant updates , keeping us informed.

Could you advise/clarify (a) if "the RecFisho user must also be present in Saltwater

,particularly regards crabpots/dillies ,where say 8 pots/2 users placed overnight together ,but the 2nd party can't attend retrieval ,due to other commitments??

(b) also ,would it be also ok to use a proxy 3rd. party to attend retrieval if necessary to abide by 8pots/2 users??

“In Queensland freshwaters, recreational fishers cannot use more than four traps at any one time,” he said.

“When setting, retrieving or checking the traps, each user must be present. It is unlawful for a person to check another user’s traps unless they are with them.

“This applies to any combination of canister traps, collapsible traps, dillies, funnel traps or round traps.
    Thanks again....

Re: Four's the limit when using freshwater traps

Hi Gazza,

It's not advisable to set pots if you have other commitments. However, if unexpected circumstances arise, such as a person becomes so ill that they were unable to retrieve their pots, evidence would need to be provided to prove they have a 'reasonable excuse' and a substitute could be used provided there were an appropriate number of people checking or retrieving the apparatus.

Cheers,
    Fisheries Queensland

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reasonable Excuse.....what crap that is.....no where in legislation does it say that...about time the Fisheries stated the actual legislation and not make up their own interpretations and try to bullshit to us.

If I am wrong here, please say so Fisheries, but make sure you show where it says what you just quoted.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

I have no legal knowledge but I do know that many oversight departments operate with laws along the lines of:

'Such policies as the director general determines'

So they probably don't need a piece of legislation for every little thing but rather a law that says the DG will set limits and enforce them.

So in large part it's probably just: whatever they say... we do.

The problem is really only when you get different stories from within the department. But that is why them coming on here is such a good thing.

Thanks Fisheries for doing these posts.

Ok we know the rules... lets follow them.

Thumbs up Re: Four's the limit when using freshwater traps

Grunta , I liked FQ's response , showing 'minor' leeway in checking/retrieving pots/dillies.

Somebody mentioned in another thread ,about the other user having a broken leg , that imo would be a reasonable , provable reason.

I would be also 'wary' of scenarios , that exploited that leeway.....

e.g.
    say a person takes 3 kids on Sunday arvo to drop 16pots....
    Monday to Friday...kids at school , hence unavailable during the day....
    I don't think that person could or should legitimately check/rebait 16 pots during the day mon~fri...

with a note from his kids

The information provided is incorrect anyone else spotted the error.
    Cheers
    Ray

In my case I take a few people out at different times. All my pots are marked with my name only. So 8 pots for 2 people all pots marked with my name only. Where does that place me? In the Poo . again for sure. This is sure an interesting thread. Lots of passion being thrown around.....

Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    The information provided is incorrect anyone else spotted the error.
    Cheers
    Ray
    Nope............ please explain ?

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

In fresh water you need first and sirname on the float in salt only sir name needed.
    Cheers
    Ray

Double post.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheries Queensland View Post

“The float must also feature the owner’s surname and be at least 15 cm in each of its dimensions.
    http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/fisheries...r-fresh-waters

Marking traps and set lines

Anyone who uses a trap or set line for freshwater fishing must have a tag on the trap or set line showing the owner´s surname and address. If the trap is not fixed to something stationary above the water level while being used, it must have a light coloured float attached.

The float must feature the owner´s first name and surname and be at least 15 cm in each of its dimensions. A two or three-litre milk container may be used as a float. A set line must be attached to a stationary object such as a branch, wooden stake or boat.

A 2 or 3L milk container is NOT 15 cm in each of its dimensions...
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

This incorrect info given on several websites and magazines. I have writte4n to fisheries and no reply.
    Cheers
    Ray

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just like I said, they make up their own rules as they go along with no knowledge of the actual legislation....they are a sad lot I,m afraid.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post

http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/fisheries...r-fresh-waters

Marking traps and set lines

Anyone who uses a trap or set line for freshwater fishing must have a tag on the trap or set line showing the owner´s surname and address. If the trap is not fixed to something stationary above the water level while being used, it must have a light coloured float attached.

The float must feature the owner´s first name and surname and be at least 15 cm in each of its dimensions. A two or three-litre milk container may be used as a float. A set line must be attached to a stationary object such as a branch, wooden stake or boat.

A 2 or 3L milk container is NOT 15 cm in each of its dimensions...
    That is correct....the 2 or 3 litre milk bottle is allowed as an exception...that means it can be used in freshwater...