Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More rec fishing opportunities with artificial reef extensions

Re: More rec fishing opportunities with artificial reef extensions

Quote Originally Posted by snapperdan View Post
    HI mark. Is the data that your govt has used to evaluate the value, viability and effect on the environment (and other things boffins think of) available for perusal . I would think there are quite a few groups south of the border who would love to see a few hundred reef balls placed in spots around NSW. The pittwater / hawkesbury/ broken bay area comes to mind as an area that would benefit greatly from reef balls. Was the cost of the balls at $265k including installation and management and other stuff only public servants think of.
    IF you could provide the information for us south of the border so we may try and grab some funds from the NSW rec fishing trust.
    Dan, see answer in other thread - by Phill Kleise

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    What kind of rig should I use around these new reef balls Mark?
    See Mike's answer, but probably any rig that has the sinker at the end and hook(s) off the bottom would be advisable.

Hi Mark

Appreciate your busy however you did say ask away with a question. Can you clear up the confusion that there appears to be between Lucky Phill and Mr D in post 21 please ?.

Cheers

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Mr Robinson you say your looking after the "Rec and Family Fishos mmm.. but are you really! I THINK NOT. Ah the Rainbow Beach mmm... "FAMILY FISHING CLASSIC". Great thing for the "Local Economy" especially after several years of Bad Weather and the overall Economy. (Yes i know a lot of People have suffered throughout this Country). You know, i think you should "Personally Go And Spend The Week Up There, and ask all the Family Fishos and their Children, about the OVERALL CATCH RATE. I'm sure the response will be "All Fished Out Mate No Fish HERE, BlOODY NETTERS. So why don't you mmm... say Lets Stop the Netting from the Noosa River to Inskip Point for a say a Duration of 2 Weeks whilst the comp is on and "Pay Some Type of Compensation". Oh and by the way, do actually believe the Netters, are helping the Economy In That Area mmm. Just remember "Peoples Actions Are Louder Than Words. Cheers Manta Man

manta.. have a look at the thread wrong wrong wrong... How are we meant to convince the pollys that beach netting is no good when there is a heap of people on here, who arent pros, supposed to be avid rec fisherman....(why else woud you be part of a rec fishing forum) but think beach netting is ok??????
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Quote Originally Posted by manta man View Post
    Mr Robinson you say your looking after the "Rec and Family Fishos mmm.. but are you really! I THINK NOT. Ah the Rainbow Beach mmm... "FAMILY FISHING CLASSIC". Great thing for the "Local Economy" especially after several years of Bad Weather and the overall Economy. (Yes i know a lot of People have suffered throughout this Country). You know, i think you should "Personally Go And Spend The Week Up There, and ask all the Family Fishos and their Children, about the OVERALL CATCH RATE. I'm sure the response will be "All Fished Out Mate No Fish HERE, BlOODY NETTERS. So why don't you mmm... say Lets Stop the Netting from the Noosa River to Inskip Point for a say a Duration of 2 Weeks whilst the comp is on and "Pay Some Type of Compensation". Oh and by the way, do actually believe the Netters, are helping the Economy In That Area mmm. Just remember "Peoples Actions Are Louder Than Words. Cheers Manta Man
    Manta man. FYI I do attend fishing challenges and classics. I have attended the Moreton Bay Challenge each year, with the exception of this year due to a clash in schedules. I also have spoken to rec fishermen who are angry about netters who have worked the area where they also fish, taking much of the catch. I have also spoken with netters who try to run a small business under their valid licence while trying to do the right thing by rec fishers. The government is trying to do the right thing by both groups. One step the Fisheries minister has taken is to implement the policy I put in place when I was Shadow minister, to buyback net fishing licences. Hopefully this will remove some of the pressure between the two groups and reduce fishing pressure.
    Regards
    Mark

While I praise the intent of the buy back scheme Mark, there is no intention to reduce fishing pressure in the Cooloola/Fraser Is region where fishing pressure continues to escalate.

The netters are unhappy that they are finding it increasingly difficult to earn a living from the region, anglers are unhappy that it has become near impossible to catch a feed and the environmental consequences of the fishing pressure continue to manifest.

When we met prior to the last election with Glen Elmes and Ted Sorensen who both argued with me for a recreational fishing haven for the area, we parted with the understanding that funds for a buy back would be sought. However, that's as far as it went and Glen informed me a couple of weeks later that I shouldn't hold my breath for anything to eventuate.

FQ and Minister McVeigh keep telling me that this fishery is sustainable and that tailor numbers are recovering. The catch data evidence clearly show that this is quite the opposite of the reality and I can assure you from my daily personal observations that this stretch of coastline is becoming, or rather has become, a barren wasteland.

The hundreds of thousands of tourists that camp on Teewah Beach each year are no longer fishing as they have found that to be a pointless exercise and drinking and drug taking are predominating as the reason to camp here for an increasing number.

The societal consequences, the environmental consequences and the economic consequences of allowing commercial fishing pressure to increase unabated are apparent to all, except that is, to the people responsible for not permitting such a situation to occur.

But here we are - it's happened, and there is no intent to do a damn thing about it. Artis can't help surf species, beach fishers or terns, and fishing in green zones is of no value to beach anglers either. We must reduce the commercial fishing pressure as anglers aren't applying any - we can no longer catch anything.

Lindsay Dines

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robinson MP View Post
    The government is trying to do the right thing by both groups.
    Mark
    Thanks for the response Mark, but I must ask about the above quote. If this is so, why has the LNP removed Recreational Fishing from FQ. There is no manager anymore and with no manager, is there even a department or section that looks at / after recreational fishers ?

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Thumbs up LNP , pull ya finger OUT !!

Mark deserved-MP , please do MORE quicker/faster...
    McVeigh ain't even a RecFishos rsole imo , please steer him & get outcomes for RecFishos , from the sidelines , hopefully just a temp. position
    Thankyou for feeble and understandable limited efforts m8
    Gazza

Hey Mark

I'm happy your involved to answer the fishing community with any questions they have about the reef ball additions. I am all for sustainable fishing. I never take more than I need. See my posts if you wish.

I have a question for you. I do not mean this in any menace way at all.

Question:So if you don't like green zones, what are you doing about them?........

Do you have other options other than the artificial reefs with which you push?

Thanks

Hi Lindsay. I understand the dilemma and the differing perspectives. While I am interested to help if I could somehow, as the local MP for Cleveland I cannot solve this for your region. I suggest you take it up again with the local state and fed MPs - Ted Sorenson, David Gibson etc.

Hey Phill. My understanding is that rec fishing is still mainly under FQ. But some aspects, eg Fishing in marine parks is now under National Parks. Tourism is also looking at how it can grow rec fishiing.

Dragman. I have never felt there was sufficient evidence to show that rec fishermen were damaging the Bay's fish stocks. I have raised this injustice with the relevant ministers since coming to govt and will continue to work with them and to advocate for solutions - at least for the part of Moreton Bay that I am the local MP.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    Hi Mark

Appreciate your busy however you did say ask away with a question. Can you clear up the confusion that there appears to be between Lucky Phill and Mr D in post 21 please ?.

Cheers

????????????????.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    Hi Mark

Cheers
    Happy to try to Steeler. Both Mike and Phill are correct. In 2009 the LNP's policy presented at the election by Lawrence Springborg was to permit rec fishers 1 line in the Green zones of Moreton Bay while further research was conducted. In the lead up to the 2012 election, as the Shadow minister for Fisheries, I was reviewing the LNP policy and preparing it for the election (as 3 years and 2 Opp leaders had passed). Before the policy review was completed, a document with a heading 'One line in Green Zones' was accidentally sent out to the media. It was assumed that the LNP must have adopted the same original policy as in 2009. The election then came and 3 fishing policies were announced - net licence buyback, marine infrastructure fund and fairer access for rec fishers. There was no direct promise or commitment publicly made that included the term Green zone. Campbell Newman attended the fishing event at the show grounds the day before the election where he committed to supporting rec fishers and boaties, but he made no mention of Green zones in his speech. I was asked about our policy of fairer access to which I replied (in the Brisbane Times) that we were not satisfied that the previous government has sufficient evidence to ban rec fishers from areas of Moreton Bay and that we would be looking at this with a view to not continuing any bans not based on science. So in short the fishing policies announced in the 2012 election did not include a statement that mentioned Green zones. It was not announced. Having said that, it is my view as a simple backbencher as the member for Cleveland and for Moreton Bay, where my electorate is located, that there is little evidence to support the continued lockout of recreational fishing activity from fish-rich areas of MB. So contrary to some media reports neither I nor Campbell promised to open up the Green zones to rec fishing, though this was the perception by many of what we meant. But as a lowly backbencher now in govt, I have called for action to be taken in the near future on this issue of fairer access for rec fishers in Moreton Bay. I hope that clears up any confusion.