Thread: Freezing crabs????

Freezing crabs????

I go on a fishing trip a few times a year and go crabbin, we always do really well with crabs and I'm not too fond on the taste so I give them to my mate in exchange for snapper sinkers, but when I'm going my mate will be overseas and I was just wondering how I could save the crabs till he gets back??

Re: Freezing crabs????

If only a week is needed I would leave them tied up alive and transport home with a bit of water in the tub etc. hessian bag on top. Then maybe a ice bath when you get home to kill them. In the fridge 3-4 days tops. Cook. Another 3 days tops.

How far do up you need to stretch them.

Freezing never results is good meat.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

Clean em green, freeze them in water in a container. Defrost crack the shell & make crumbed crab. Works well on the Claws. Don

cheers, my sisters husband told me they do it all the time just cook them and then drain them and vaccum seal it and freeze them, gave the old boy one to try so I guess see what he rekons, but crumbed crab dosent sound too bad

Gee, dam nice if you can catch that many you consider freezing. Lucky bugger. Up this way if you can catch more than 2-3 crabs a year you have "Guru" status.

haha yeah mate we do very lucky but don't rape the fishing system like others, ppl think im mad that I don't eat them but love crabbin, I guess its a good trade off crabs for sinkers because they arnt cheap these days either, prices are getting ridiculous

feezing crabs is just the same as freezing anything, the defrosted result will not be as good as a just cooked fresh one, but better than none at all. The main thing is to make sure what you freeze is good, freezing a crap product will not result in a good defrosted product, so, when cooked, make sure it is cooled, into the freezer in some sort of airtight packaging and your done, when defrosting, avoid doing in the microwave and so on, defrost in the fridge, or in salt water, eat ASAP, dont quite know why, but frozen food is best eaten soon after defrosting, Prawns and so on go pretty strange the day after defrosting, but pretty good if eaten straight away!

Quote Originally Posted by frontflip90 View Post
    I go on a fishing trip a few times a year and go crabbin, we always do really well with crabs and I'm not too fond on the taste so I give them to my mate in exchange for snapper sinkers, but when I'm going my mate will be overseas and I was just wondering how I could save the crabs till he gets back??
    So where is this place with all the crabs ?

Yepoon area is my guess....

haha cant give away all my secrets but yeah in that area

works well if u cook and clean the crabs then wrap in newspaper and vaccum seal. I use the paper so the sharp pieces on the shell