Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bermuda /Haines 530f user reviews

Bermuda /Haines 530f user reviews

Hey AUSFISH regulars.
    Chasing some background information on owners of these older hull shapes. Has anybody still got one or had one.

Looking for information like ride quality, outboard power configurations, seaworthiness against broaching, stability at rest, known bad character traits and general usability.

I have been offered a great deal on a 1992 hull with a 115hp Johnson oceanpro outboard.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

Re: Bermuda /Haines 530f user reviews

I'll be interested in what people have to say on these hulls. You can see a strong HH 17L heritage there and also the 540 sig forefoot in the nose. Does Jeff Webster have a review on his site?

Had a mate who had one a few years back. Like JJ said, a Haines Hunter 17L type boat but a bit longer and wider. A 115 hp motor would be the minimum but a 140hp Zuke would be ideal. The ride should be as good as a 17L, shouldn't broach, pretty much similar to a 17L. Cant go wrong.
    Duck

I did find this review.

http://www.marinews.com/boating/boat...hing-boat/392/

But I want a real world opinion not some perfect water test of a new boat.

Hey rip it up,

I had one with a 140 v6 Merc and it was an awesome boat. I think a 115 would be fine because the 140 was like a rocket ship.

I was wanting a 17L when I was looking for it & because they are a bit newer it was easier to find one in good condition. Great boat with good rough weather performance. I now have a 542F which is a bit bigger but I would have another 530f.

Stability at rest is there only down fall. Allthough it doesn't bother me, I have had people in it that weren't real boaties complaining how tippy it was.

I had one for 5 years, powered by a 2 stroke suzuki 115hp...was plenty of power and I think it was the maximum
    They are a bit bum heavy. Excellent ride quality, I miss that and I never noticed a rocky at rest from it.
    I had it out to well over 80km off the coast and it was a very safe boat to be in.
    I would get another in a heartbeat if that style of boat was what I was after

Cheers guys. Just the sort of information I was looking for.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364757953.301324.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1364757973.043817.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1364757996.330722.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1364758015.748391.jpg

So I picked up the boat on Thursday.

A few repairs where needed to the trailer brake hubs, bearings, trailer rollers blue now red.)keel line gelcoat (from blue rollers). Safety gear replacements etc. so finally got it out for a water test on Good Friday.

Out of the marina in 6knts zone. Humming away nicely. Go to take off. And coughed and farted. Running on 3 cyl. Hmmm. So I putt off the a safe area and take off the cowling. Wiggle the plugs leads and bam we are good. We scream off in near glass conditions in Gladstone harbour.
    65km/hr top speed and settle down for a 45kph cruise speed. Start to play with trim and notice that when the motor gets trimmed down to the max it would flop onto a port side lean. 5 degrees I guess. Trim up a little = flat. I put it down to a very old and weathered hydrofoil. Next issue was the steering. It's like trying to do q salon course with a HQ ute without power steering and 12" wide tyres. 1.5 turns lock to lock and heavy. It's a teleflex cable steering box and all seemed to be well lubed when I used it at home. It's more like the torque of the outboard is causing the heaviness.

A few new parts installed on Friday night and Saturday. New hydrofoil. Keel rollers. Safety gear and most important VMR membership. I also had to give the boat a name. Not knowing what it was previously. It's now called. DUTCH COURAGE.

Saturday night we plan a reef trip to really shake it down. 3 guys 2 eskies and enough bait and ice to have a good time. 140L fuel. Heavy load. Out north entrance headed for masthead ialand. 65kms away and a forecasted 5-10 was a bit like 15kn-20. Slow trip. It was 18kph and just ride them smooth but when the waves smoothed for a few it jump onto the plane with throttl input and hit 28kph and slam us good. So being a night run we took it easy. Chewed a bit of fuel to get out but made it safe and dry. A quick fish and a beer or two then a short sleep. Before sun up we started to move around. We jumped around probably 6-8 times until 11am to start the run Home to hit the enter acne before the tide started ripping out and turning it to mush. The trip home was awesome. Flat rolling swell. 45-50kph. Just soaking up the bigger sets. Soft riding hull is an understatement. 1.5 hrs from island to the ramp. A time we would not be able to beat in the signature 630f with 175hp. I am yet to refuel so not sure what I have used. But had and 15% left on the gauge.

And the photos show our results. Not bad for two out of three never been offshore fishing. Each got a good trout each. And I dropped one at the side of the boat. The glory shot is a mates first trout with masthead in the background.

So in dot points the things I need to fix.

Outboard does not like to idle in gear. Coughs and stalls. Turn key bang straight to life again.???
    Outboard not charging battery. What should it produce in volts when charging. 14.4V?
    Gauges not working. Rpm speed or trim. They all Illuminate. Tachometer sometimes reads at idle.
    Keel line damages need minor reinforcing.
    Floor has numerous screw holes that allow water into the hull.
    Takes on 20L over night. Most fittings on hull are sealed with silicone.
    Ring frame bulkhead showing signs of wood rot. Flowcoat over ply.
    Few areas where fillets of glass are cracked. This just needs a quick grind and reglass.
    Carpet floors over flowcoat. Equals slippery. With replace with straight flowcoat non skid.
    Single battery only. Will rewire to a house and crank setup. Solar charge? On house.
    All lights and wiring needs a big clean up and modernise. Replace all to LED and tinned wiring.
    Auxiliary motor mount hanging on stbd corner. Annoying when fishing.
    Upholstery. 1993 enough said.
    Steering upgrade.
    Cut and polish on the gelcoat topsides. A bit chalky.
    Sign writing.

Otherwise I am happy with it all. Cheers Damo.

All up she sounds pretty good mate. A few things to do but in a 20yr old boat that is to be expected. Hope you can workout where the water is getting onto the hull.
    Cheers
    Ozy
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Good to see the boat went alright damo, check the o ring on the bung aswell. We did ok Sunday night, only fished for a few hours and came home after checking the radar. Heard the storms caused a bit of drama out wide. Hope everyone that stayed out faired ok. Hopefully have a new trailer soon and you can follow me out wider if you want to.

Your a legend. Had a look on google earth where abouts youv'e been. Man that is good trip for an older boat. More guts than me. Reckon you will have a lot of fishing trips in it.

Thanks for the detailed post. Nothing like the smile a good hull can give you on a nice long run. Bit of work to do but that can be fun as well when you know you'll get some rewards down the track.

So I have been gifted another choice patch of weather to go out on Saturday offshore. But nearly fell over when I fueled up the boat last night in preparation. Last trip we did 145kms on the GPS trip meter. And burnt 150L!

The trip out of the north entrance was a slow semi planning experience with about a 20-25kph speed due to some large lumps. A few moves out on the reef but no reef to reef jumps. Then a fast trip home. 50kph.

I have no tacho to gauge the revs at the moment. GPS told me I averaged 36kph for the trip.

Is 1km / L normal for a carby two stroke 115?

How many hours running did you do in total for the trip?

What propeller do you have on the motor?

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Yep thats what my 2003 model Johnson 115 used to get. Did a lttle better on a glassed out day cruising at around 4200rpm. Last trip I did with it off Bundy did 65km for 68 litres. I now own a 115 4 stroke and get a lot better economy.