Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Media Release: Christmas Boost for Boaties

Re: Media Release: Christmas Boost for Boaties

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    When do we get the fish stocking funding back, funds for support of the 500 hundred odd fishcare volunteers you sacked, our rego reduced as the levy is no longer used for recreational boating support.

Oh thats right, when we vote you out in 29 months..........
    Aint going to happen I reckon. Take a look at the latest response the ePetitions: http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/app...es/1964-12.pdf

Guys please do not ruin Mooloolaba boat ramps as these have done in NSW - (as compiled by Andy from Downrigger Shop):-

Roseville boat ramp is within Garigal National Park, in Middle Harbour:

It services a large area of the North Shore and the Peninsula and – judging by online fishing forum posts – is even the boat ramp of choice for many living in Sydney’s western suburbs.

Roseville ramp is directly administered by the National Parks & Wildlife Service. That government agency is charged with environmental protection rather than boating facility management. The boat ramp has been subject to an endless stream of complaints on fishing forums and social media due to issues including:
    The inappropriate angle for optimum boat launching:
    The inability of the ramp to meet demand on busy days;
    The poor maintenance of internal access roads, which feature gigantic pot holes;
    The pitiful lighting, with a tree planted beneath the light reducing its beam width;

High hopes were held for improvement when, earlier this year, ramp signage announced that the facility would undergo a $1m overhaul. It was assumed by most that the well known problems would be addressed, particularly the primary issue being heavy congestion on the narrow ramp. Instead, the ramp has been dramatically worsened. Firstly, the new pontoon:

The biggest problem is obviously the (3 metre wide) pontoon on the ramp. It really has to go. I think any improvements to it in its current position will only have a marginal improvement to improve the flow and capacity. It is a modular unit and could be repositioned off to the side of the ramp. Some points against the pontoon in its current position:

Capacity decrease - 4 lanes to 3 is a 25% reduction in capacity on one of Sydney's busiest ramps.

Pedestrian safety - Pedestrians (often kids) are dropped off at the pontoon and are forced to make their way across the area where trailers are being reversed. Vision is limited reversing a trailer (often with a 4WD) and the kids can't be seen. This is a similar situation to kids being run over in their driveways by parents reversing cars. One of the first tenets of pedestrian safety is segregating pedestrians from traffic.

Makes reversing difficult if using the lanes next to the pontoon - Usually backing a trailer requires some minor corrections. Having the pontoon running the full length of the ramp leaves no room for these corrections without hitting it. Especially when backing an empty trailer when the trailer is on the slope and the car is on the flat. There is a time when the trailer can't be seen. This is not usually a problem on an open ramp because you can see the trailer again well before you reach any vehicles launching/retrieving at the water.

Next, the pontoon itself:

When we used Roseville last Saturday I noticed that there was quite a difference in the height of the pontoons. They used to be below gunwale height which made it easier getting into and out of the boat. They need to be dropped about 10 - 15 cms. They should also get rid of the cleats on the ramp pontoon which are nearest to the ramp, and only have cleats at the end of the ramp. This could ease congestion / ramp rage during summer. Last suggestion have a ranger on duty during peak times to direct traffic and stop people getting their boats ready in the turning bay or on the ramp.

Thirdly, the poor landscaping. This giant sandstone block has been placed at a pinch point to impede access and, as a result, is covered in dings and paint scrapes from cars:

Next, the passenger pontoon:
    Another question on the pontoon on the Eastern side that was replaced. What did we gain by that? It is moved a bit further off shore but is the same size! There is no increase to capacity and that is what the ramp badly needed. In fact that's all it really needed to ease the congestion so we weren't waiting in a queue to drop a driver off to get the trailer.

These poor decisions guarantee ramp rage, this summer. In fact, that’s happening now:
    XXX rang to say his grandson nearly got into a punch-up at Roseville this week. Some tool couldn't get his motor to start so left his boat tied up to the inside (probably means southern side) of the pontoon. Just as some newbie decides to first-time launch a big boat. Result? Ramp locked up, words exchanged and blows narrowly avoided.

So what’s to be done? The immediate priority is safety. Whether it be addressing the likelihood of a child being run over this summer or the fist fights that are guaranteed to occur. The new pontoon must be moved 10 metres south, attached to the shore in front of the fish cleaning table, thereby increasing rather than impeding the boat ramps throughput. And in future, and for other boat ramps, the Parks & Wildlife Service needs to consult with those affected by their decisions. None was made, the plan was announced as a fait accompli:

Given their reputation for lack of consultation, the only way that will happen is by a recommendation from this Inquiry
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    As to Roseville ramp, and our many readers who use that facility. I have a request. If you’re down there this summer and see heavy launch/retrieve congestion, with cross words or worse, please take a pic or two for me? And send by e-mail. Long experience proves there is no agency less likely to admit a mistake than the NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service (Head Office at Hurstville, that is.) But with enough documentation, I can progress this further with either the Minister for Ports or the news media.
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    I'm told it's a 3% increase. How come MP Mark didn't post up the press release about that? You know until the LNP took to freshwater anglers with an axe that price would have probably received support from some groups. Worth asking why the increase? Labor did raise it 12 months ago, the 1st price rise in almost 20 years. Now the LNP raise it again so soon, and up 3% when the CPI went up 1.5%. Why? What's the plan? Do they have a plan?
    Yes. Why the increase when the serviced provided by the license fee have been wiped out of existence.
    I wonder who the person was who had the time to sign on the dotted line for that?
    I wonder if that same person would have time to sign on the dotted line for one line per person in green zones?
    And your right. People may not object too much to a price increase if they can see a return. If restocking was given a huge boost (not $10,000 between all the dams but $10,000 each) then a 3% increase may well be welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Junk Hard View Post
    How about some cleaning tables at some of the popular ramps?
    Actually I see a problem with cleaning tables adjacent to ramps.
    How many people would come in and starting cleaning fish leaving their vessel sitting at the ramp or pontoon.
    A short distance away from the ramp so people have to get their vessel out of the water and away from the ramp would be good.

So what is the time frame for all the projects in the media release?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

$35 ----> $37.30 = 6.6% increase

So does that increase qualify as a non core porkie pie ?.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    So does that increase qualify as a non core porkie pie ?.
    Same as the no increase in registration fees. They haven't increased the registration fees either (see terms and conditions below

unless you fall into the many categories that are exempt from the registration price freeze that's in the fine, fine print. There seems to be only privately registered vehicles of a certain type and weight that have had a registration price freeze. Trailers, boats and everything else has had an increase
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Bloody fine print, don't ya hate it !.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

When the prev government announced the sip increase last year they said that it would be increased in line with the cost of living index. Looks like they have exceeded this.
    As a member of a few stocking groups that stock dams that belong to the SIP scheme I will not complain about the small increase .
    However I really feel for the groups that do not and never can belong to the SIP scheme who have had the rug pulled out from under them.
    What does the lnp have planned for the groups that stock the rivers and streams?
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    $35 ----> $37.30 = 6.6% increase
    Labor raised it from $35 to $36.05 just over a year ago, the LNP has now raised it again from $36.05 to $37.30.

Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    When the prev government announced the sip increase last year they said that it would be increased in line with the cost of living index. Looks like they have exceeded this.
    As a member of a few stocking groups that stock dams that belong to the SIP scheme I will not complain about the small increase .
    However I really feel for the groups that do not and never can belong to the SIP scheme who have had the rug pulled out from under them.
    What does the lnp have planned for the groups that stock the rivers and streams?
    Cheers
    Ray
    That stocking was to be covered by the new Qld rec fishing licence (the licence the LNP ruled out before the election then 1 month later tried shopping it around fishing groups).
    If it doesn't resurface again soon I would bank on a state wide freshwater licence. That was also shopped around, the prob with that is we'd need an absolute massive increase in new SIP licence holders for the impoundments not to go backwards.
    Cheers
    ~~~><))))*>

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Is there going to be an increase in trailer only parking in the carpark as well?
    Is there anyway to ban people from fishing off these walkways?
    Is it possible to place a 'code of conduct' at ramps to try and solve a lot of problems of people doing the

Good to see a start happening though
    Wrt manly, I will take it up with Neil Symes, member for Lytton as he is the local MP. May be after Christmas before I get a reply, but I will try.
    Mark

There is still plenty more questions waitin for you to answer...

I was at Moololaba with my boat. I figured with so many boats everywhere on home pontoons there would be at least a few options to fuel up.

Unbelievably for such a boating Mecca, there is only one place to get unleaded fuel... the fishermans co-op.

Apparently the EPA shut down any others. No more nonsense like that please.... how about letting some private enterprise fill that niche.

Manly badly needs an upgrade. It will be interesting to see how they do it. The biggest issue is the small footprint left behind after DERM built its Taj Mahal where the ramp upgrade should have gone. The Derm building should have been located in the boat passage area.
    Hopefully they go through some extensive consultation process as many "upgrades" have made ramps less user friendly and resulted in reduced capacity
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Manly badly needs an upgrade. It will be interesting to see how they do it. The biggest issue is the small footprint left behind after DERM built its Taj Mahal where the ramp upgrade should have gone. The Derm building should have been located in the boat passage area.
    Hopefully they go through some extensive consultation process as many "upgrades" have made ramps less user friendly and resulted in reduced capacity
    Hi Horse

I take it that you are making yourself available for consultation rather than leaving it to someone else?? Its easy to criticise, a bit harder to actually do something constructive.....

When the Raby Bay ramp upgrade was announced, i got off my fat arse and contacted the council, got onto the right staff members/engineer, made arrangements to get a copy of the draft plans, made the time to get together with a few knowledgeable friends to review them and then put our thoughts back to the Council officer, who was actually very surprsed and pleased that we had taken the time. They picked up nearly all of our concerns and modified the design as a result.

Im not blowing my own trumpet by telling you this, and i am only having a tongue in cheek crack at you, but i want to make the point that i see lots of people on here bagging Govt, Councils and everyone in between but rarely does anyone actually do anything productive to make things better.

If more poeple actually did something other than whinge and whine, then i am sure we would all have less to complain about. What is the other saying ... Something along the lines of ...."all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

So, how about it? Are you and others going to step up to the batting crease on this specific issue, or will you stay sitting up there on the hill throwing cans at the passers-by?

Cheers

Grant
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thumbs up Re: Media Release: Christmas Boost for Boaties

Im not blowing my own trumpet by telling you this
    I know your not m8

BUT , what was wrong? , and what improvement(s) did you(s) help implement ??
    May help others as an "e.g."