Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't meddle with the mangroves

Don't meddle with the mangroves

A reminder for coastal communities that Queensland's waterfront suburbs are known for their mangroves and these plants are protected against removal or damage.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol district officer Brett Depper said disturbing mangroves, or other marine plants, could greatly impact important marine fish habitats.

"About 75 per cent of Queensland's fish species are dependant on estuaries and fish habitats, including mangroves for nursery grounds, feeding and shelter," Mr Depper said.

"Mangroves are a fundamental part of fish habitats in Queensland, as they help sustain fish for the future for commercial, traditional and recreational fishing.

"All marine plants are community assets that depend on ongoing protection and management to ensure their sustainability.

"All mangroves in Queensland are protected under the Fisheries Act 1994 and heavy penalties apply to any unauthorised disturbances.

"It is illegal to remove, damage or destroy any mangrove without prior approval from Fisheries Queensland, or checking that it's allowed under a self-assessable code.

"If caught doing the wrong thing, people are risking an on-the-spot fine of $1100 and a maximum penalty of $330,000."

Members of the public are encouraged to report any information they may have about marine plant damage to the Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116.

For more information about marine plants, approval processes and self-assessable codes visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or call 13 25 23.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter.

Re: Don't meddle with the mangroves

Can I report that Mining co's, supported br Qld Govt, are planning to eradicate mangroves from Port Alma/Fitzroy river mouth area??

I have often wondered whether if you planted mangroves along a foreshore like Sandgate, could you legally prune such planted gardens into topiaried sculptures as an art form??? I think there is good merit in being able to plant mangroves in a once bare foreshore and being allowed to sculpt them for appearances would be a bonus as well.
    Jack.

I wonder if the same protection will be given to The Mangroves on Toorbul Point South of the Bribie Bridge if the proposed development of that area goes ahead.

Probably the same as the protection that was provided for Dux Creek, Wrights Creek and the creek that once came off the island and now stopped at the Duck Pond improperly called
    "Buckleys Hole".

Being right means nothing, money is the only currency.

Have fun Haji-Baba

Has QLD Fisheries got any field staff actually in field to nab people doing illegal things or have they all lost their jobs?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by Qlder1 View Post
    Can I report that Mining co's, supported br Qld Govt, are planning to eradicate mangroves from Port Alma/Fitzroy river mouth area??
    Lol. I was going to say that should send that in email form to the state government!

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I have often wondered whether if you planted mangroves along a foreshore like Sandgate, could you legally prune such planted gardens into topiaried sculptures as an art form??? I think there is good merit in being able to plant mangroves in a once bare foreshore and being allowed to sculpt them for appearances would be a bonus as well.
    I don't think it is legal Jack.
    However there is at least one spot at Taylors beach where this practice is allowed under special permit because of its cultural heritage- in other words its been going on for years.
    These are natural mangroves though not planted ones.

Reckon you should send this to the Gladstone Harbour Board
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisheries Queensland View Post
    A reminder for coastal communities that Queensland's waterfront suburbs are known for their mangroves and these plants are protected against removal or damage.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol district officer Brett Depper said disturbing mangroves, or other marine plants, could greatly impact important marine fish habitats.

"About 75 per cent of Queensland's fish species are dependant on estuaries and fish habitats, including mangroves for nursery grounds, feeding and shelter," Mr Depper said.

"Mangroves are a fundamental part of fish habitats in Queensland, as they help sustain fish for the future for commercial, traditional and recreational fishing.

"All marine plants are community assets that depend on ongoing protection and management to ensure their sustainability.

"All mangroves in Queensland are protected under the Fisheries Act 1994 and heavy penalties apply to any unauthorised disturbances.

"It is illegal to remove, damage or destroy any mangrove without prior approval from Fisheries Queensland, or checking that it's allowed under a self-assessable code.

"If caught doing the wrong thing, people are risking an on-the-spot fine of $1100 and a maximum penalty of $330,000."

Members of the public are encouraged to report any information they may have about marine plant damage to the Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116.

For more information about marine plants, approval processes and self-assessable codes visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or call 13 25 23.

THE POOR MAN ALWAYS PAYS TWICE

What a lot of old cobblers from the Qld govt. I often ask where was the protection for the mentioned Dux Creek (was a known sanctuary for migratory birds) even bieba seemed rather silent...Now the new developement that is due near the Bribie bridge, I concede that this useless lot will eventually allow the mangroves to suddenly disappear, money speaks wonders. I note that landangler has already noticed the changes to the passage with all the nearby trees cut down allowing so much more light into the passage waters and altering the growth of weeds etc.. Of course we will go throught the rituals of discussions with govt etc. I have no doubt the buck will be passed on and on...Sorry guys but I feel we are being duped here......

Anyone remember what Raby Bay was before it was a canal estate , home to millionares ? ........................... I could of sworn it was a BAY full of mangroves !

This release from fisheries queensland isn't about a construction company legally removing mangroves under (hopefully) stringent government rules and guidelines, it's more about some rich guy living on the waterfront deciding that he'd get a better view of the water if a few mangroves "accidentally" died and fell over and it's a timely reminder, if we see it happening we should dob em in.

Something similar to this happened next door to my oldies up the coast a few years back, i won't name/shame him but a reasonably well known brissy business owner built himself a beach house and next thing was up in the protected dunes killing off and chopping down trees so he could get a view of the beach/ocean. Now anyone who has lived on an exposed beach knows what happens to a dune with no grass and trees holding it together .............. it falls apart.

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    Anyone remember what Raby Bay was before it was a canal estate , home to millionares ? ........................... I could of sworn it was a BAY full of mangroves !
    Almost right - it was mud flats with alot of mangroves that fed into the Bay (I used to walk through there a lot).

The little creek at the back of my house had some mangroves planted by council to help clean up the water, (there never has been mangroves there ever) it was seen as a CHEAP way to help the creek run clear again! well, I can tell you, they have taken hold and flourished to the point they are now choking off the creek entirely, and recently resulted in the flooding of a caravan park upstream of them!! I HATE the shit things, we now have sandflies and mozzies galore, secretly wish an ex Vietnam Huey would swoop down and Agent Orange the shit things. The Council are saying they can't do anything because they are protected, they planted the bloody things, get rid of them.

The little creek at the back of my house had some mangroves planted by council to help clean up the water, (there never has been mangroves there ever) it was seen as a CHEAP way to help the creek run clear again! well, I can tell you, they have taken hold and flourished to the point they are now choking off the creek entirely, and recently resulted in the flooding of a caravan park upstream of them!! I HATE the shit things, we now have sandflies and mozzies galore, secretly wish an ex Vietnam Huey would swoop down and Agent Orange the shit things. The Council are saying they can't do anything because they are protected, they planted the bloody things, get rid of them.
    But just think of all the fish that are thanking you.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheries Queensland View Post

To whoever wrote this,

Can anyone vet / verify who wrote this? it is not in anyway official.

Include your queensland government logo (copyright) and provide your "direct" contact details otherwise what is written here could be written by anyone. PS, quote LAW not "Brett Said", and provide direct links to the relevant legislation.

otherwise it is garbage, tommy the twat could have made it up for what it is worth..

PS, send all Boat / waterside home owners in queensland an official letter in the mail, provide informational brochures in relevant areas.

Regards
    Honda.