Thread: Tides

Tides

Gday
    Ok so this one is probably easy and simple, But I still dont know the awnser, If someone can enlighten me it would be great.
    The tide books quote time at the brisbane bar, is this the South passage bar, and is there a way to work out times from that to other spots in the bay.
    Thanks

Re: Tides

Brisbane Bar mean the entrance to the Brisbane River.
    Here is the BOM tide information. Gives you differences from Brisbane Bar to some other locations, unfortunately not South Passage.
    http://www.bom.gov.au/oceanography/tides/MAPS/qld.shtml
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

There are plenty of tide guides out that give you times at the Brisbane bar then down one side they will have the + or - times for different loctions, you should be able to get one at your local bait and tackle shop.

The one I currently have I picked up from Straddie Ferries the last time I was going over to the island but I have seen them in my local tackle shop..
    Cheers Axl

Plenty of tide programs around as well that give the correct times and an approximation of the heights, yet to see a program that is accurate for heights with any real accuracy.
    Jack.

Dadous.
    The Brisbane Bar is where the Brisbane River enters the bay - in general terms, that's the airport, Port of Brisbane, Luggage Point neck of the woods.

If you want a general idea of times for the South Passage Bar, you can use the differentials for Amity Point which basically means high tide will be around 36 minutes earlier than the quoted Brisbane Bar and low tide at Amity will be 44 minutes earlier.

To get your head around the concept in layman's terms, the tide comes in from the sea which is east of the Brisbane River, so high tide will be earlier at SPB.

Conversely, if you were going westwards up river to say Jindalee, high tide would be around one hour and 45 minutes later because the 'extra' water has to flow from the bay and then travel a long way westwards, upstream. Technically that's not strictly correct because there is a compounding 'plugging effect' but, it nonetheless still illustrates the point).

(And just in case you're a tourist, no, you can't drive a car from Cleveland to Straddie at low tide irrespective of the hour. Those who tried, failed).

look up willy weather site, it gives you wind weather,tides, at manyspecific areas, including south passage, i find it pretty helpful, cheers roy

Thanks for all the info , is helping me get my head around being a better fisho

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Hey Dadous go to Willy Weather you can the info there