Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whale takes out boat in Moreton Bay

Whale takes out boat in Moreton Bay

Hey Guys,

Anyone have more information about this?

http://www.news.com.au/national/boat...-1226454319903

What type of boat, and was he smoking something or did this really happen the way the story reads?

Darren

Re: Whale takes out boat in Moreton Bay

It's quite possible and always a worry out there particularly this time of year and the Humpback Whale population seems to be steadily on the increase. I have come close to Whales particularly at night and you just never know where they are going to be so I guess we are going to hear of more of these types of encounters. Have to ask yourself when travelling around on the ocean at night or even day "Are you feeling lucky?"
    Highlights the need for a floating grab bag with all your lifesaving essentials in it, especially a Hand held VHF and EPIRB, obviously no time for anything else plus good idea to wear the life jacket with a torch attached at night while traveling.
    Being inside an upside down boat at night would be a very scary experience, I imagine pitch black and not knowing where you are or whether you are going down, where your emergency stuff is???

hi fellas i would believe this story definitely if i can figure out how to post up a vid.ive got footage from last week off the gold coast of a whale banging into the side of my boat an playing around my boat for an hour I've got footage of me touching his fins an shitting my pants that it was going to flip me over,i was out reef fishing an it just came up from out of nowhere and wouldn't leave for an hour,possibly the longest hour in my boat ever, now if i can figure out how to remove all the swearing from my vids ill post it up for you or pm me if you want and ill try email it to you swearing an bad commentary included
    cheers dan

Hi all

I seen of late a video on here of someone in hervey Bay right up close and personal to the whales in what looked like a small tinnie. I know it is all exciting to see a whale but being so close can really turn hairy in no time at all.

So easy for something like this to happen. Hope the boatie is ok.

Ronnie

Nice little um big critters, don't want them anywhere near my boat..

Hi Dan, I was at the 36s off the Goldy this morning getting set up to drop a line in when I spotted a couple of whales 3 to 400 mtrs away & thought little of it, next minute they are about 80mtrs away heading straight at me, I normally don't worry too much about them but after reading that story last night I began to get a bit toey so I start winding my bottom basher up I also had 2 float lines out, by this time I could of hit them with a sinker & they are still coming staight for me so I get me B.B up & start the motor & start moving off slowly whilst frantically winding in floatlines, so I say stuff it & move to what I thought would be a safe distance away about a k or bit further away & start to settle into fishing again in a relaxed mode when I have a look at the sounder & see what I thought to be great show of fish & quickly drop my bottom basher down, halfway down I thinks to myself thats not school of fish under the boat thats them f%*king whales again so Im thinking where are they gunna surface sure enough while Im looking the other way they surface behind me with an almighty roar by this time I had given up thinking if you want to tip me arse over head then get it over & done with, instead they swam about 50 mtrs away & done a tail stand as if they were waving goodbye , leaving them very confused as to whether I was white fella or a yella fella, all up the whales were chasing me around for about 40 mins. Whales 1 ME nil.
    Regards, Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyslapper View Post
    Hi Dan, I was at the 36s off the Goldy this morning getting set up to drop a line in when I spotted a couple of whales 3 to 400 mtrs away & thought little of it, next minute they are about 80mtrs away heading straight at me, I normally don't worry too much about them but after reading that story last night I began to get a bit toey so I start winding my bottom basher up I also had 2 float lines out, by this time I could of hit them with a sinker & they are still coming staight for me so I get me B.B up & start the motor & start moving off slowly whilst frantically winding in floatlines, so I say stuff it & move to what I thought would be a safe distance away about a k or bit further away & start to settle into fishing again in a relaxed mode when I have a look at the sounder & see what I thought to be great show of fish & quickly drop my bottom basher down, halfway down I thinks to myself thats not school of fish under the boat thats them f%*king whales again so Im thinking where are they gunna surface sure enough while Im looking the other way they surface behind me with an almighty roar by this time I had given up thinking if you want to tip me arse over head then get it over & done with, instead they swam about 50 mtrs away & done a tail stand as if they were waving goodbye , leaving them very confused as to whether I was white fella or a yella fella, all up the whales were chasing me around for about 40 mins. Whales 1 ME nil.
    Regards, Pat.
    ha i know exactly how you feel mate i had just boated a snapper an was about to drop back down when this one came up right beside my boat (about 500mm from the side)i can confirm i shit bricks, scared the shit out of me i had no idea what had just happened.im still working on posting a vid for you guys but I'm pretty ordinary with uploading an videos stuff but would be happy to email or sms a short vid to whoever wants to see how big an close this thing was

hi darren not sure if its related but there was a cat of some sort upside down at sunny coast today they were trying to flip it back over with a front loader, sorry thats about all i know of this particular boat at the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by boatboy50 View Post
    Hey Guys,

Anyone have more information about this?

http://www.news.com.au/national/boat...-1226454319903

What type of boat, and was he smoking something or did this really happen the way the story reads?

Darren

It says it was a 10 mtre cat. I would like to know if he was underway or not and if not did he have motors idling?

Is it something about a cat hull to the whale echolocation or is it any boat that might happen to? I would love to see them close but don't want to have my baby upside down after it....

Quote Originally Posted by dan12345 View Post
    ha i know exactly how you feel mate i had just boated a snapper an was about to drop back down when this one came up right beside my boat (about 500mm from the side)i can confirm i shit bricks, scared the shit out of me i had no idea what had just happened.im still working on posting a vid for you guys but I'm pretty ordinary with uploading an videos stuff but would be happy to email or sms a short vid to whoever wants to see how big an close this thing was
    I think Tangles is working on a vid of some whales that decided to play around my boat up at 1770 last week.
    They made a bee line straight for my boat and then started doing laps around it.There was 3 of them swimming around and under my boat.
    I can also confirm I had brick shaped shits in my socks too.......it was a really special thing to see but also a very nervous time for me.

This one? From a mate's Facebook. Looks like a Powercat 2600 or similar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Smithy; 22-08-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Do you leave the Bimini up or take it down when you dock like that?

The sun probably isn't an issue....

(feeling guilty now.... I hope insurance sorts him out ok)

Just a quick point - this incident occurred 25 nm north east of Bribie Island, which is not in Moreton Bay...

It's friggin frightening in the dark the sucker comes up and exhale. Close enough to feel the spray,
    And when you're anchor on a reef its heart breaking when they use your boat to rub their back. I have found that switching over to the 1kw transducer and starting the motors up keep them at a distance. Dunno what that does. Maybe the old mercury has an anti-whale feature built in.

Where that boat got done is about the same place we fish, and they are neither rare cute.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

I was cruising slowly over to Moreton Island early Tuesday morning with the sun in my eyes. At the bottom of the Pearl channel, of all places,I catch a last minute glimpse of the back of a small whale submerging about 6 metres to starboard. By small,I mean still easily big enough to flip a boat.

Even with two people wearing polaroids looking out for floating debris, we didn't see it until the last minute due to the angle of the sun.

If I was steering just a bit further left, there may have been another story in the papers.

Pays to be aware, and to wear the safety cut-out lanyard, even in calm weather.

Cheers