Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is my Fisher worth fixing???????

Re: Is my Fisher worth fixing???????

Bugger........

I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I've seen DNV H321 5083 alloy 9mm thick corrode through in under 5 years in an internal hull structure that has had saltwater inundation ,even though the salt water had been drained the actual salt remained and in the humid climate we have here it still draws moisture from the air and then corrodes.
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Good point there. I have a very large inspection hole in the transom of my boat. A smallish guy can get in there. I also have two 50mm bungs so I can see what going on inside with taking the hatch off. Some pay out on me for having two massive 50mm bungs but at least I can see clearly inside the transom at any time. I might treat the inside of the sheets. I do have a massive soft patch so it may not be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Bugger........

clean as.................

Good on you Col. You are earning much good will with this... Very valuable thing to have.... it's hard to earn, and easy to loose.

Tim I wish you and Col every success and hope you all can get it sorted soon. A good boat is worth saving..... after all it is a part of the family.

Okay,
    can we fix it,
    Yes we can!!!!!
    Oh well, Col can, stay tuned.
    Tim

Righto,
    Firstly the flow through deck had to be removed so a proper inspection of what needed to be done.
    I'm assured by Col, who knows more about Aluminium and boats than most, that with a meat axe and a pulse MIG, anything can be done, phew!
    The floor gets removed to reveal that there has been consistent salt water intrusion albeit slow but water nonetheless.
    Where didi it come from?
    A dodgy bung allowing a slow leak.
    And added to that the fact that the water water was trapped in behind frames, compounded the issue.
    On the first pic, you can see the "tide" marks of where the water was sitting.

Now,
    A good going over with the pressure cleaner and a goodly dose of acid wash allows for a closer inspection.

Now....
    With it all clean down, the tin worm is very evident.
    The small pits and other little holes have been drilled out, and the larger more effected areas have been removed completely.
    New pieces of plate will be welded in from, the inside at first, then welded from the bottom also.

Here is the begining of the re-birth.

Tim

pics don't work "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Cheers
    Chimo

PS why don"t you use Infranview off the site?
    What could go wrong.......................

It is worth noting at this point that all the internal structure is in as good condition as it was some 12 years ago.
    This little boat has seen more than its fair share of the famous Moreton Bay chop and is in first class condition.
    Phew!
    While the little Fisher is in this condition, she will also be treated to a re-wire, new steering , be foam filled for positive bouyancy, have a new checker plate floor welded in, and a couple of ski hooks attached to her rump so I can tow my little bloke around on some sort of tube or other contraption.
    All looking pretty good at this stage. Stoked in fact.
    Tim

I think the pics work now, well they do on my PC.
    Let me know if you can't see them.
    Tim

Cant see them!
    Cheers Chris.

Crap I can't see them either..... Wheres Frank Grimes when you need him.

Im shaking my head at Col Svenson again. For seven years he earn't universal respect from boaties far and wide in little teaspoon amounts and nearly had it ripped away by the barrow load....Time to change my signature again.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.