Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is my Fisher worth fixing???????

Re: Is my Fisher worth fixing???????

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Pavers all clean. Driveway all clean. House kinda clean. Ride-on clean. Dogs clean. Cups and saucers all broken.
    Nearly done then Alfred. Just the street, the laundry, back toilet, the car and your keyboard to go

Shame about the little fisher. never heard a bad report about them. Its very good to see OB willing to help. Just one of the reasons this boat builder is held in high regard.

Cheers, Stu

What I find difficult to understand with the corrosion is why its gone so quickly. I've got a 35 year old quintrex that I never wash and had lots of salt water in it but its still going strong. I even discovered that its got a neg current in it from the motor. Was the alloy better in those days or is there something else happening?

People would want their well made plate boats lasting longer that 12 to 15 years as with the two examples mentioned here.

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Ooooooh. Come on now. Fair suck of the sav Col.
    Scrap is around the $2 or bit more/kg.

Cheers then
    Alfred
    Hey Alfred how do we get $2/kg for scrap?

Quote Originally Posted by Originboats View Post
    Hey Alfred how do we get $2/kg for scrap?
    Good point. Bloke down here offered about 18 cents kg. So I'm happy to go with a 10% deposit.

I would be very interested to know how this corrosion works because a similar thing happened to a mates BC at an early age. I did hear there was some thing you put on your trailer to help prevent corrosion but not sure if it works on boats.

mate, i'd almost bet my left one that you have an electrolysis problem maybe caused by the salt water getting into something that's now making a negative returm through your hull. can you see any defined pattern to the corrosion? ie. a defined line or area where water sits in the bilge? i just can't see corrosion happening that quickly in marine grade alloy sheet without some electrical assistance. if you know what you're looking for, go through all your hull/console wiring including what's under the motor cowl and search for evidence of a rubbed wire etc. alternatively pay someone like grand marlin to go through you wiring to make sure it's ok. keep the boat though it'd be a top little rig.

I get $1.79kg up here on the Coast.

I would hate to see the inside of the hull if the outside sheets are looking a bit corroded.

I know if you take scrap alloy in direct they pay bugger all. If you go through a scrap merchant they pay much better.

If they drive to country to pick it up you get ripped.

We better stick with that lovely little fisher and try and keep it going

Well,
    I have just taken it to Col at origin and he thinks that it is a result of salt water retained inside the hull.
    What is of biggest concern to him, is how "certified" marine grade structural plate can go pear shaped so quickly.
    Apparently, the plate has numbers or a code of some type on it and it can be tracked and traced.
    Fisher V1, and Origin only use Aussie plate and not imported materials for quality assurance.
    Col would also like to get this info so he can pass it onto his aluminium supplier and take it up with them, he is not happy about it.
    In fact so much so, that he is going to work on a cost plus basis, whereby, I pay for materials and his working man to do it, and Col doesn't make any money out of it, he wants to know why and recitfy it, asap.
    Remember, this boat will turn 12 years old in August.
    So, talk about standing by your product.
    I'm a little more than shocked to be honest.
    The floor will be removed soon, and then the damage will be inspected and Col is almost positive it can be repaired to better than ever, and even upgraded to foam floatation.
    What a guy!
    Stay tuned.
    Oh, and by the way Alfred, the scrap deal is off, get back to cleaning the driveway and the dunny.
    Tim

Great support Tim. Unfortunately it will still cost you and also Col who has taken a worker off another paying job to help you out. A good omen and maybe your luck is changing for the better. Go the floatation

This level of support is what one only dreams about.

Anyone who may be looking for an aluminum boat; me included, who doesn't seriously consider purchasing from this guy really needs to think again. Contrast this treatment to the NBI situation we have been reading about with absolute disgust and horror.

Good on you Col, a gentleman to be sure.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Great post Tim, good to see Col taking charge of it. Interesting to see what becomes of the investigation of the plate. There would be a lot of people out there with platies wondering what may be happening under the floor of their boat.

Col and his offsider will be doing this after hours and on top of the work they already have on their plate.
    And to consider I put some money down on another brand...... trauma..... wonder what's going to happen to that???
    Tim

Unparalleled service. Congratulations Col this is exactly the reason you are still going after all that has been done to in the past.
    Good luck on that decision there Tim. You will get it right after all it's got to suit you.

Alfred must have washed his keyboard