Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whiting in Moreton Bay

Whiting in Moreton Bay

Hi all,

Was wondering if anybody has had any luck fishing for whiting lately? I tried the other day around the top end of Peel and did not catch any except for the damn Grinners....they were everywhere!! I reckon I pulled up about 15 of those before I moved on.

Does anybody have any good tips for whiting fishing - what tides are the go'er and what bait you are using. I have been trying the old squid on a double hook setup but will try worms next.

Advice much appreciated in advance......

Cheers
    Andrew

Re: Whiting in Moreton Bay

worms or yabbies for summeries, squid will do for the winter whiting. the banks near the rous channel that are next to the green zone fish well for winteries and squid in the summer. the channel next to the dunwich yabby banks fishes well for summeries near the bottom of the tide. Hope this points you in the right direction.

Mate, i've tried a few places this week and nothing but grinners, a couple of small grassies and a couple of octopus in the bay whiting spots. Give it a few weeks i reckon and they'll be back, heard there are a few summeries kickin around down the pin way but apart from that all quiet on the whiting front.

Regards,

Lachie

Hi all.....thanks heaps for the information......much appreciated.

Phantomphisher - just wondering how you catch squid. Do you catch them at night with a light to attract them or do you simply hang a jig out the back during the day to get them......advice is much appreciated.

Cheers
    Andrew

i bagged out last monday on some diverwhiting for 4hours fishing out on the cockelbanks also caught alot of flathead but all undersize the whiting were bigger LOL
    i also put some pots out and got 1 legal sandcrab out of the 7 bucks pulled up i just used squid for the whiting it was good to get out was a nice day 5-10 knots winds most of day as for catching squid just jig for them as can be their or not during the day i have caught a few at times just fishing for whiting on my whiting rigs but yea just jig during day is fine did not try the other day myself so cant say if their was any around.

i went out to the rouse last monday, tried se
    veral spots but nothing but grinners, think its the "inbetween season", as mentioned wait a few more weeks for the rouse

you can catch squid day or night, but I've only ever had success from September-February near staddie. You can catch them on a jig that you actively move, but you can also just stick one under a float with near equal success minus the extra effort. you catch them in almost any shallow weedy and sometimes reefy areas in the bay but clear water is an absolute must. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by robsue View Post
    veral spots but nothing but grinners, think its the "inbetween season", as mentioned wait a few more weeks for the rouse
    Exactly right robsue the Whiting usually have a break/disappear around the midldle of January to the middle of March (or there abouts) but for what ever reason it has come later this year.

I dont know where they go or for what reason this happens but it has been as regular as clock work in and around the Rouse for the last ten years or so that I have been chasing them.

I too was at the Rouse a week ago, dad and I tried real worms, gulp worms and squid all for 1 Grinner which promptly became crab bait.

Give it a week or to and they should come back hopefully nice and fat.
    Cheers Axl

i went the other weekend got none...might be worth a go around the compas adjustment boy if they are on at the cockle banks

Quote Originally Posted by robsue View Post
    Out in the Rouse last week also, not a whiting in site, just a ton of grinners, even picked them up trolling for macks,
    Got a couple of little whiting around Amity last night though.

How good would it be if those grinners were good eating fish...

My dad went out hmm 2 or so weeks ago and caught 100 whiting between 4 people.. They said the whiting were pretty big and they were not winter ones.. I have a question though, has anyone caught a whiting off plastics?

Quote Originally Posted by GreekBoi View Post
    I have a question though, has anyone caught a whiting off plastics?
    Yes, both summer and winter whiting. Summer on squidgy wrigglers and flick baits, and winter on gulp worms

Quote Originally Posted by GreekBoi View Post
    My dad went out hmm 2 or so weeks ago and caught 100 whiting between 4 people.. They said the whiting were pretty big and they were not winter ones.. I have a question though, has anyone caught a whiting off plastics?
    Yep Gulp worms (red in colour) have worked ok for me.
    Cheers Axl

Hi GreekBoi,

Where did your Dad catch the whiting......do you know the region he was in? I went out again on the weekend and not a one.....again!!

Cheers

He has his spots.. We went out again yesterday and caught 48 pretty big whiting.
    I don't really know the places.. lol I'm not great with the regions on the bay.
    I'll have to try the gulp worms.. I tried a few diff sp's yesterday and got nothing.. I tried putting some squid with a sp and got a few bites but nothing to grab on.